Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

theduffer wrote: »
    I have the wetek play box and it works well. Love the tie in between kodi and tv using pbnigma image. Would love a box with upgraded hardware.. Would be interested in one of these if there was support for it out there
    Yeah, it would depend on the price AFTER Customs/Postage

As regards support from the company, I've no idea but the waffle on their website claims
    Videostrong Technology Co., Ltd.,founded in 1998 ,a well established manufacturer of Android Players & STB( Android with DVB Hybrid box &DVB-T2/S2/C/ISDB-T/DTMB-TH/ATSC,,)as well as HD media players, which are well sold to all over the world.

With a strong R&D team(30+ members) support customers' ODM/OEM projects effectively, and a strong overseas department with 10+ persons, provide customers full time technology and service support which has won well reputation over customers around the world after the years of hard work.
    http://www.videostrong.com/about.asp

I'm sure when it goes up on Gearbest or other such sites, and i have an idea of the total cost, I will buy it if it is below €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Just looking at the videostrong/acemax kii pro T2/S2 am I right in saying it will run both sat and saorview? Is the only difference between this and the wetek play 2 the dual tuners?

Tempted to bite the bullet on either one of them but if there is a newer chipset version like the 912 posted above due soon I might sit tight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Playing around with a95x 2gb/16gb and its just amazing...worth the money !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

tharmor wrote: »
    Playing around with a95x 2gb/16gb and its just amazing...worth the money !!

Yeah got that for my Dad it works great what's even more surprising is the 1gb/8gb works brilliantly with anything I've stuck on it, one weak point is the wifi but I run my boxes wired so not an issue for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Yeah got that for my Dad it works great what's even more surprising is the 1gb/8gb works brilliantly with anything I've stuck on it, one weak point is the wifi but I run my boxes wired so not an issue for me!

I use 5ghz channel and results are brilliant..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

5500 wrote: »
    Just looking at the videostrong/acemax kii pro T2/S2 am I right in saying it will run both sat and saorview? Is the only difference between this and the wetek play 2 the dual tuners?

No, as far as I'm concerned the Videostrong is way ahead of the Wetek Play 2
    The Wetek Play 2 is STILL using the Mali 450 MP as a GPU FFS, not in the same league as a Mali T820! For one thing, if you use the chrome browser or youtube, all videos are broadcast in VP9, which cannot be decoded as HD using the Mali 450 unlike the T820 which can decode them at ease.(Note how the Wetek Play 2 does not even list VP9)

WeTek Play 2 specifications
    SoC – Amlogic S905-H rev. C quad core ARM Cortex-A53 @ up to 2.0GHz
    GPU - penta-core Mali-450MP GPU @ 750 MHz
    System Memory – 2 GB DDR3
    Storage – 8 GB eMMC 5.0 flash + micro SD card slot
    Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K @ 60Hz with HDCP 2.2 support
    Audio – HDMI, optical S/PDIF
    Video codecs – H.265 (10bit) & H.264 AVC up to 4K60Hz, H.264 MVC, MPEG-4 ASP, VC-1, AVS, MPEG-2, MPEG-1 up to 1080p60
    Audio codecs – MP3, AAC, WMA, RM, FLAC, Ogg, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS
    Tuners – Modular (replaceable) tuners for DVB-S2 (Satellite), DVB-C/T/T2(Cable/terrestrial), and ATSC (terrestrial for North America and South Korea)
    Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 (Ampak AP6335 module)
    USB – 3x USB 2.0 host ports
    DRM – Playready and Widewine; Netflix HD supported
    Misc – IR receiver, IR extender port, 3.5mm jack RS-232 port,
    http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/08/19/wetek-play-2-4k-android-set-top-box-with-atsc-dvb-s2-or-dvb-t2-tuners-is-up-for-pre-order-for-120/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,005 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

5500 wrote: »
    Can anyone with a wetek or dvb s box confirm that you can run kodi independent and then switch over to free view channels or do you view the free view within kodi? By free view is it also all the stations that would be picked up with one of the sat boxes in for example power city?

Is the wetek play 2 the best one available at present or any other recommendations that have somewhat of a community behind them?

To the first part of your question, yes. FTA channels / Kodi seperately - works well with Wetek Theatre installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

No, as far as I'm concerned the Videostrong is way ahead of the Wetek Play 2
    The Wetek Play 2 is STILL using the Mali 450 MP as a GPU FFS, not in the same league as a Mali T820! For one thing, if you use the chrome browser or youtube, all videos are broadcast in VP9, which cannot be decoded as HD using the Mali 450 unlike the T820 which can decode them at ease.(Note how the Wetek Play 2 does not even list VP9)

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/08/19/wetek-play-2-4k-android-set-top-box-with-atsc-dvb-s2-or-dvb-t2-tuners-is-up-for-pre-order-for-120/

I think you mixed up the kii with the kiii, the kii with the s905 seems to have the mali 450 aswell. I mailed videostrong aswell to see if I can get any more info on purchasing off them as I'd rather sit tight for the kiii with the s912 if its not too far away

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

Hi. Currently have a Fire TV (v2) but can't get RTE player to work on it.

Would someone be so kind as to recommend a good box that can run the RTE player and Kodi and that is reasonably priced?

Also, if we wanted to record whatever is showing on the TV, say TG4, through DTT, are there boxes that do this as well as the Kodi, etc.?

Many thanks,

William

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,
    Anyone come across the new Xiaomi Mi Box android 6 online for sale - if so can you post a link please.
    I have searched but can't find although I know it's on the shelves in Wallmart (USA).

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Anyone come across the new Xiaomi Mi Box android 6 online for sale - if so can you post a link please.
    I have searched but can't find although I know it's on the shelves in Wallmart (USA).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

Well, its here:
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/-Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box-371297.html

But I'd swear I found it on gearbest on Monday/Tuesday night when I went mooching about looking for it after the Walmart launch Presser came out, and that it was $69 also, but it seems to have disappeared.

Hi,

Well, its here:
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/-Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box-371297.html

But I'd swear I found it on gearbest on Monday/Tuesday night when I went mooching about looking for it after the Walmart launch Presser came out, and that it was $69 also, but it seems to have disappeared.
    Still waiting to be released on gearbest and geekbuying. Also not in www.wallmart.com as far as I can see. Surely it must be on aliexpress somewhere but I can't find it

Still waiting to be released on gearbest and geekbuying. Also not in www.wallmart.com as far as I can see. Surely it must be on aliexpress somewhere but I can't find it

Ah, I didn't pay attention to the Arrival notice thing, sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

It's not even advance ordering on Geekbuying - be lucky if it's not before Christmas or early '17 - the arse will fall out of their M3 S market when it is released at €92.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Looks like the Mi box is on sale on Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mi-Box-Android-TV/54827138

I'm tempted. It's $99 on geekbuying for the international version, vs $69 on the Walmart site. I've used Shipito before for parcel forwarding and it would come in cheaper I'd say.

Some first impressions here: https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/56eqme/mi_box_review_thread/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭BandMember

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I've used Shipito before for parcel forwarding and it would come in cheaper I'd say.

Be careful with that crowd - I tried ordering something from them and they were charging me a £100 delivery fee to deliver to ROI!! So, I tried a Parcel Motel address in NI and they were still charging me over £20 in a delivery fee even though they promised free delivery to the UK! I tried arguing that NI is in the UK but they refused to budge. Go figure! :confused::rolleyes:

I'm tempted. It's $99 on geekbuying for the international version, vs $69 on the Walmart site. I've used Shipito before for parcel forwarding and it would come in cheaper I'd say.

Some first impressions here: https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/56eqme/mi_box_review_thread/
    Pity Wallmart don't ship internationally. It has to come to Aliexpress sometime (I hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Seen a post on fb saying only boxes on android 5 and above can be upgraded to Kodi v17, is this the case or are these guys just trying to sell the dearer boxes? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Seen a post on fb saying only boxes on android 5 and above can be upgraded to Kodi v17, is this the case or are these guys just trying to sell the dearer boxes? Thanks.

Yeah, looks like 5.0 minimum:
    2.1 Android 5
    Kodi v17 now requires that Android devices run Android 5.0 or later.
    If you autoupdate using Google Play, Google won't update unless Android 5 or higher is installed.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v17_(Krypton)_FAQ#Android_5

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Got the Beelink minimxiii delivered last week.

Sometimes you buy something and just after playing around with it for an hour you think: How did i ever get on without this?

I had that with this box.
    Complete noob as it comes to these things but already get lots out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Only a problem if you 'need' to upgrade to Kodi v17.

Probably not a major issue for most users.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

eamonnq wrote:
    Only a problem if you 'need' to upgrade to Kodi v17.

Older versions of kodi can become problematic after a while though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Reviews on the Kodi hardware forum for the Mi box are very poor. The problems will probably be overcome with firmware updates in time but I wouldn't be spending over the odds to get one quickly, better bide your time until the firmware is sorted out and availability is better.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Do-more wrote: »
    Reviews on the Kodi hardware forum for the Mi box are very poor. The problems will probably be overcome with firmware updates in time but I wouldn't be spending over the odds to get one quickly, better bide your time until the firmware is sorted out and availability is better.

I'm not a big fan of Kodi, but TBH I think I've decided against it anyway. I'd need something with an IR receiver to work with my Harmony remote and I've not seen anywhere confirm that it has one, apart from one guy saying it works with his Harmony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

any opinions on this box?

http://www.adverts.ie/tv/android-tv-box/11485780

A friend has asked to source a box for basic streaming of movies and tv shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

€50, can't go too far wrong with that , worst case scenario he chucks it in the bin , it's the same as night out with 6pints, a kebab and chips & a taxi home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

How do you manage to get six pints, a kebab and then a taxi back home for €50? :)

Specs wise for 50 its ok, considering you're buying it off Adverts. Don't know anything about the build quality though. Also it'll be interesting to see if the WiFi is any good.

An interesting point to note with this box is that with the 905x SOC, along with Marshmallow you can use an SD card as internal storage, which means you can stick an 128GB sd card in, bringing your total internal storage to 144Gb, this means you can load it with Apps without worrying you'll fill it up, download and store stuff on it and extend the Cache amounts on Kodi, which reduces buffering.

Theres a newer version of the Beelink Minimxiii called the Minimxiii ii out now which comes with the same(905x) chipset and Marshmallow, wish I'd waited when I bought mine in june.

• Advertisement

coldfire1x wrote: »
    How do you manage to get six pints, a kebab and then a taxi back home for €50? :)

Living over a pub in Leitrim or somewhere?

Advertisement