Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Guys, recently changed broadband provider, and plugged straight into the back of box (pipo x8) via Ethernet cable. (I always used Wi-Fi previous)

Turned off Wi-Fi etc on the box, got connection, everything going great.

Only problem, after a minute or so, it kicks me out of whatever movie I'm watching, back to main menu.

Doesn't matter if its kodi/Netflix or YouTube, every video behaves same way.

However, when i unplug Ethernet cable, and connect to Wi-Fi, everything works perfectly.

Has me confused anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Guys, recently changed broadband provider, and plugged straight into the back of box (pipo x8) via Ethernet cable. (I always used Wi-Fi previous)

Turned off Wi-Fi etc on the box, got connection, everything going great.

Only problem, after a minute or so, it kicks me out of whatever movie I'm watching, back to main menu.

Doesn't matter if its kodi/Netflix or YouTube, every video behaves same way.

However, when i unplug Ethernet cable, and connect to Wi-Fi, everything works perfectly.

Has me confused anyway.

Hello,I've never had one of those Pipo boxes....but is it possible to try the following?

Under network connections select the Ethernet first then select "change settings of this connection"

, when the settings box pops up...... Select "configure" & "Advance" tab.

Now disable "Energy Efficient Ethernet" and disable "Flow Control" .See if this

sorts it for you.

bazzz wrote: »
    Hello,I've never had one of those Pipo boxes....but is it possible to try the following?

Under network connections select the Ethernet first then select "change settings of this connection"

, when the settings box pops up...... Select "configure" & "Advance" tab.

Now disable "Energy Efficient Ethernet" and disable "Flow Control" .See if this

sorts it for you.

Sorry dude, didn't give me them options, just an option to change DNS, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Sorry dude, didn't give me them options, just an option to change DNS, etc.

Sorry only seen your reply now.Are you running Windows 8.1 & Android on this

box?From other users they were able to rectify the slow Ethernet by using the

method I posted earlier.

If you are running on windows 8.1 i'd suggest upgrading to Win 10 because

others that upgraded are reporting better performance all round.If there's no

option to upgrade to Win 10,just try update win 8.1 drivers (usb bus drivers

etc,etc)One issue with

this box is......it suffers bad from too much tasking.As in it overheats and may

cause lock-ups or laggy GUI.Hopefully you'll figure it out soon,but I'd

deffo(99.9999%) say it's setting related or bottle-necking caused by older

drivers.

bazzz wrote: »
    Sorry only seen your reply now.Are you running Windows 8.1 & Android on this

box?From other users they were able to rectify the slow Ethernet by using the

method I posted earlier.

If you are running on windows 8.1 i'd suggest upgrading to Win 10 because

others that upgraded are reporting better performance all round.If there's no

option to upgrade to Win 10,just try update win 8.1 drivers (usb bus drivers

etc,etc)One issue with

this box is......it suffers bad from too much tasking.As in it overheats and may

cause lock-ups or laggy GUI.Hopefully you'll figure it out soon,but I'd

deffo(99.9999%) say it's setting related or bottle-necking caused by older

drivers.

Thanks for the reply bazz,

The machine is running Windows 10, as well as Android, though i rarely use the Windows os on it.

They're s good box, but I'd never buy another, and may even get shot of this one.

In android, after about ten seconds the screen cuts out (from the box itself) running a display on the tv only. That's no problem, except that if you wake the machine (by touching the remote etc) it kicks you out backs to the main menu.

It constantly needs to have its display options set back to the way I like them.

Occasionally, it will lock itself in portrait mode, meaning the display on the t.v. Is also portrait mode.

Lack of firmware updates , its still on android 4.4.

Btw, windows os works perfect with kodi etc, but I much prefer the simplicity of android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lilacclery

Have read a lot of this thread and gather than 2gb is the minimum you should go for in an android box & that minux is a good brand & marshmallow or kit Kat 5.1 is the lower end of spectrum.

I just wonder if you're better off paying initially for a better brand or does it matter?

Sky finished in s a few weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 rowdy_rr

lilacclery wrote:
    I just wonder if you're better off paying initially for a better brand or does it matter?

Using a95x 2gb box i got from bangood and its grand so far...paid 27 eur ..will get more if on offer again...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

I am finding the range of different Android boxes mind-blowing. There is too much choice and I find it difficult to distinguish between them!

- Is there an idiots guide to all the different models with the differences between them?
    - Will all models come with a browser (this is important to me)?
    - Will all models come with an app that is easy to control the screen with?

- I am willing to may a medium level price for a decent box. Good WiFi connection. Good make. Brand with reputation. Recent Android version. Browser. App based remote control. Any recommendations?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Szero wrote: »
    I am finding the range of different Android boxes mind-blowing. There is too much choice and I find it difficult to distinguish between them!

- Is there an idiots guide to all the different models with the differences between them?
    - Will all models come with a browser (this is important to me)?
    - Will all models come with an app that is easy to control the screen with?

- I am willing to may a medium level price for a decent box. Good WiFi connection. Good make. Brand with reputation. Recent Android version. Browser. App based remote control. Any recommendations?

Cheers.

This is just my opinion and experience.

I have been using android boxes since 2013/2014. I have always bought Minix boxes. I had the x7 and x8 Plus and most recent purchase was the Neo U1. The reason I stick with Minix is they listen to their customers. The x7 had crap Wifi which they fixed in the x8, the x8 was a pain to turn on so they now have that you can turn the Neo U1 on/off from the remote.

Minix are more expensive but for me worth every cent! I got the Neo U1 for €100 so if you keep on eye on Amazon with Black Friday, you might get it reduced!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

branners69 wrote: »

I have been using android boxes since 2013/2014. I have always bought Minix boxes. I had the x7 and x8 Plus and most recent purchase was the Neo U1. The reason I stick with Minix is they listen to their customers. The x7 had crap Wifi which they fixed in the x8, the x8 was a pain to turn on so they now have that you can turn the Neo U1 on/off from the remote.

Minix are more expensive but for me worth every cent! I got the Neo U1 for €100 so if you keep on eye on Amazon with Black Friday, you might get it reduced!

For someone brand new like myself are they easy to set up etc? How do you find the wifi as I need to get two boxes and one will be a out a about 40ft from the router. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I see that one is only running Android 5.1 - do they do ota updates, or is that it once you buy the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

+1. Couldn't agree more! Minix FTW! :D
    duffman13 wrote: »
    For someone brand new like myself are they easy to set up etc? How do you find the wifi as I need to get two boxes and one will be a out a about 40ft from the router. Thanks

The wifi on all android boxes is poor compared to your laptop. You'll be lucky if it works at that range on any box but even if it does, you'll probably struggle. In my opinion, you will definitely need homeplugs if your box will be that distance from the router....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I see that one is only running Android 5.1 - do they do ota updates, or is that it once you buy the box?

All firmware updates are OTA and done at the click of a button, couldn't be easier!

If you read back a few pages, I posted a bit about setting up my first box, which might be helpful .
    For the unmentionables, seoMichael is the best place I've found for guides..

I am using Wifi but not 40ft away! It has dual band wifi which suited me!
    You could always think about getting plugin extenders if you needed to.

In relation to setting them up, it all depends on what you plan on doing with it! But Youtube and Google will definitely help!

If you read back a few pages, I posted a bit about setting up my first box, which might be helpful .
    For the unmentionables, seoMichael is the best place I've found for guides..

Agree about seoMichael, and also check out vdubt25 on Twitter and Youtube. He knows his stuff, his addon was awesome back in the day for those that remember!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Agree about seoMichael, and also check out vdubt25 on Twitter and Youtube. He knows his stuff, his addon was awesome back in the day for those that remember!!

Cheers for that, had a good read through seo Michael there. Since you've being using the box what's it like for recording tv shows? Decent memory? I seen the Neo has an SD card slot aswell which could increase the capacity.

Since you've being using the box what's it like for recording tv shows?

You might need to do a bit more research as you don't record to these type of boxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭renov8

Read through this thread for recommendations, thanks to all who posted their opinions and suggestions.

Opted for the Nexbox A95X 2BG/8GB (around €40 + delivery on Amazon) and received it last night. Cheap and cheerful but loaded with stuff straight out of the box which allowed me to "access" all of the "content" I was hoping for.

One issue which people on here might be able to help with: get intermittent green/purple screen. Have seen this issue on other forums and it appears to be an issue with the TV as opposed to the box. I have a sony bravia, around 5 years old. Watched 45 mins of stuff on the box last night and only had the screen go green once, for maybe 3 seconds so not a huge issue. Still annoying though, anyone know of a fix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SteM

Might be an issue with the hdmi cable. Swap it out and see if that helps.

SteM wrote: »
    Might be an issue with the hdmi cable. Swap it out and see if that helps.

Yeah, been doing a bit more reading and that is one thing i'm gonna try. Although from reading the Nexbox forums it seems there is a firmware update on the way that will resolve it. Either way, happy out with the box. Don't know why it took me this long to get on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

renov8 wrote: »
    Yeah, been doing a bit more reading and that is one thing i'm gonna try. Although from reading the Nexbox forums it seems there is a firmware update on the way that will resolve it. Either way, happy out with the box. Don't know why it took me this long to get on board!

I'm in the same boat as you , works fine on my other TV but I'm hit with that red/green thing on the main Sony Bravia TV . I had read the Nexbox forums but must have missed a part about a firmware fix .

jonski wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you , works fine on my other TV but I'm hit with that red/green thing on the main Sony Bravia TV . I had read the Nexbox forums but must have missed a part about a firmware fix .

Link to the thread is here: http://www.tvboxforum.com/showthread.php?tid=42&highlight=green+screen

There's an admin on there who has been updating people. Their last post was yesterday saying to wait for the firmware update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Lads finally thinking of getting myself one of these after doing some tooling around with Kodi on my Mac and getting my head around it finally.

I've been looking at either the NEXBOX A95X or the MINIX NEO U1. The MINIX is about twice the price of the NEXBOX and can he had for around €110 in Amazon, but specs seems similar (2GB RAM and 16GB internal storage).

Is there something I'm missing here or would I expect to see similar performance between the two? Don't mind paying the extra money for better performance but spec wise I can't seem much between them.

Edit: also NEXBOX running android 6.01 vs 5.0.1 on MINIX and has S905X vs S905 on MINIX.

Also forgot to mention I just want something with power enough to give reliable HD viewing. Not overly interested in playing games on it and don't have a 4k TV

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

2gb ram will run what 99.9% of people want without a problem. 16 GB storage is grand. Including the pre installed apps and what I add,I only use about 2gb. Remember folks to use the cache cleaners etc. in kodi and delete any downloads once apps are installed. I had to sort out a box yesterday that was basically full of crap and the owner couldn't use it. That's 2 in as many weeks.

zerks wrote: »
    2gb ram will run what 99.9% of people want without a problem. 16 GB storage is grand. Including the pre installed apps and what I add,I only use about 2gb. Remember folks to use the cache cleaners etc. in kodi and delete any downloads once apps are installed. I had to sort out a box yesterday that was basically full of crap and the owner couldn't use it. That's 2 in as many weeks.

Thanks for that. Would you have any experience of the NEXBOX or the MINIX? Like I said above, both seem similar (to my eyes) spec wise. From reviews I'm getting the impression that the MINIX has a better support network but not sure if that justifies 2x price of the NEXBOX.

skerry wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Would you have any experience of the NEXBOX or the MINIX? Like I said above, both seem similar (to my eyes) spec wise. From reviews I'm getting the impression that the MINIX has a better support network but not sure if that justifies 2x price of the NEXBOX.

Have you read the previous page of this thread?
    A poster was extolling the virtues of the MINIX,

Have you read the previous page of this thread?
    A poster was extolling the virtues of the MINIX,

Just had a look there, glowing endorsement alright. Have looked at so many reviews and forums today now I'm goggle eyed from it.

Looks like MINIX might be a better option based on reliability and support. Given that I'm only finding my way around Kodi might be best stick with something that has a good level of support.

• Advertisement

skerry wrote: »
    Just had a look there, glowing endorsement alright. Have looked at so many reviews and forums today now I'm goggle eyed from it.

Looks like MINIX might be a better option based on reliability and support. Given that I'm only finding my way around Kodi might be best stick with something that has a good level of support.

Might be worth holding off till Black Friday, and see if you can catch a deal..

(I've booked the day off work, cos I've a few things I'm after, including a new TV, and possibly a Minix to go along with it :))

Just got my first android box, (cheaper than the current price, in a lightning deal), and I've no complaints, after spending a bit of time tweaking it to get it set up right..)

Advertisement