Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Might be worth holding off till Black Friday, and see if you can catch a deal..

(I've booked the day off work, cos I've a few things I'm after, including a new TV, and possibly a Minix to go along with it :))

Just got my first android box, (cheaper than the current price, in a lightning deal), and I've no complaints, after spending a bit of time tweaking it to get it set up right..)

Part of me says wait until Black Friday, the other part says, feic it that's a whole 2 weeks away and I could be spending that time getting the box setup and getting my head around it.

Was off sick today and spent the day tooling around with KODI on my Macbook and came round to the idea that an Android Box might be the solution to my media woes. Don't have Sky and don't have any sort of satellite hooked up so living off Netflix and the odd painful experience with the RTE player on my Smart TV.

Will see how I feel in the morning, might just pull the trigger on the MINIX and have it for next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

skerry wrote: »
    Just had a look there, glowing endorsement alright. Have looked at so many reviews and forums today now I'm goggle eyed from it.

Looks like MINIX might be a better option based on reliability and support. Given that I'm only finding my way around Kodi might be best stick with something that has a good level of support.

If you have a nxtbox n95 you could try libreelec on a microsd card and see how it performs for you.

I purchased a nxtbox n95 (2gb model) from amazon.co.uk and have used this to stream online and play movies from LAN. It handles 1080p flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

zerks wrote: »
    Remember folks to use the cache cleaners etc. in kodi and delete any downloads once apps are installed. I had to sort out a box yesterday that was basically full of crap and the owner couldn't use it. That's 2 in as many weeks.

Excuse lack of expertise - but "delete downloads leaving apps in box"....where are cache cleaners! Thanks!

(I've booked the day off work, cos I've a few things I'm after, including a new TV, and possibly a Minix to go along with it :))

Just got my first android box, (cheaper than the current price, in a lightning deal), and I've no complaints, after spending a bit of time tweaking it to get it set up right..)

Feic it, couldn't hold off until Black Friday, ordered the MINIX there. Herself is away for the weekend next week so need something to keep me occupied :)

Feic it, couldn't hold off until Black Friday, ordered the MINIX there. Herself is away for the weekend next week so need something to keep me occupied :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Excuse lack of expertise - but "delete downloads leaving apps in box"....where are cache cleaners! Thanks!

If you download an APK you can delete the actual downloaded file once it's installed.
    In kodi you can clear the cache,delete thumbnails etc. which all take up space,the more you stream with kodi the more bits of data get stored on the box which eventually fill it up.Put simply it's like having your phone run out of storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Don't want to start a new thread so hoping I can get some feedback here. Currently have a Fire TV Stick, thinking of upgrading, are the MXQ Pro 4k boxes on donedeal a step up? Are they kosher, or are they clones that will break in a month's time.

I could go for the Fire TV Box but would like to avoid the hassle of buying from England through parcel motel or something if the above boxes are as good for half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

podge018 wrote: »
    Don't want to start a new thread so hoping I can get some feedback here. Currently have a Fire TV Stick, thinking of upgrading, are the MXQ Pro 4k boxes on donedeal a step up? Are they kosher, or are they clones that will break in a month's time.

I could go for the Fire TV Box but would like to avoid the hassle of buying from England through parcel motel or something if the above boxes are as good for half the price.

I've the Fire TV for the best part of 11 months now and has never even given one minutes trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

podge018 wrote: »

I've the Fire TV for the best part of 11 months now and has never even given one minutes trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I know about Fire TV boxes thanks. Am asking about the MXQ Pro 4K.

• Advertisement

I see Kodi 17.0 is only going to be compatible with Android 5.0 and above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

When kodi 17 arrives what will happen,

I just got an android box recently and use for certain addons,
    Will the add ons still work as normal or is it time get get new android box with 5.1

• Registered Users Posts: 29,444 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

zerks wrote:
    I see Kodi 17.0 is only going to be compatible with Android 5.0 and above.

Assume it'll still work on Windows and other platforms?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Ah, theirs to many to chose from...that minix from few pages back is fairly expensive...even more than Amazon Fire TV which looks outta stock till Dec6th till their new model comes out. I'd stretch to the Minix if it was worth it, it's for an xmas pressie im buying.

Maybe that NPET A95X from few pages back? Anymore word on that? Only a couple of reviews on the site there.

Any others to look at? Anybody get any good ones from chinese sites or are they all badly built yokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Ah, theirs to many to chose from...that minix from few pages back is fairly expensive...even more than Amazon Fire TV which looks outta stock till Dec6th till their new model comes out. I'd stretch to the Minix if it was worth it, it's for an xmas pressie im buying.

Maybe that NPET A95X from few pages back? Anymore word on that? Only a couple of reviews on the site there.

Any others to look at? Anybody get any good ones from chinese sites or are they all badly built yokes?

The A95x is a great price there at the minute - £40 with, the listing says, a 90 day money back guarantee - at that price, I wouldn't be bothered with waiting for a box that mightn't get here before Christmas from China..

I'm very happy with the one I got, which has very similar specs to the A95x

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Assume it'll still work on Windows and other platforms?

They'll be fine,I saw the announcement on the Kodi website.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

Sasso wrote: »
    Topic not allowed here.

Way to get a thread closed dude.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Apologies, post removed

• Registered Users Posts: 29,444 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sasso wrote: »
    Apologies, post removed

dont talk about that kinna stuff on this site, you ll be banned before you know it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

So, gonna grab a new box probably on black Friday, so if anyone spots one worth buying, feel free to post it up.

I will have a pipo x8 going spare (on the right offer) when I receive the new one.

However, if I get a firmware update (the android version) sorted in the meantime, I may hold on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Is anyone aware of a decent Android box that supports Google Cast? I know there are other platforms (miracast etc) but I basically want a chromecast experience running Android. I know the Mi Box has it but I'm wondering if people have come across others.

Only way I can watch Amazon Prime video is with a Fire Stick / Box yeah?

Am happy with my MK808b+ stick with libreelec, but am interested in using my Amazon Prime benefits if possible.

Should I go Fire Box and sideload kodi?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Is anyone aware of a decent Android box that supports Google Cast? I know there are other platforms (miracast etc) but I basically want a chromecast experience running Android. I know the Mi Box has it but I'm wondering if people have come across others.
    The Wetek Play 2 has Chromecast built in.

For anyone that is interested I see geekbuying has the new Mi box for $79 inc. p&p. Looks like it is the new international model in any case but check before buying.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/-Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box-371297.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=EDM&utm_content=&utm_campaign=DMCAH_holiday_20161114

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Do-more wrote: »
    The Wetek Play 2 has Chromecast built in.

For anyone that is interested I see geekbuying has the new Mi box for $79 inc. p&p. Looks like it is the new international model in any case but check before buying.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/-Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box-371297.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=EDM&utm_content=&utm_campaign=DMCAH_holiday_20161114

I think what I'm looking for is a box running Android TV, google's own flavour of Android box OS.

I've had my eye on the Mi Box for weeks and I reckon I'll take the plunge as I've found some folks on reddit confirm it has an IR receiver, which was a deal breaker for me. I've just been weighing up whether to go for the cheaper one direct from HK or if I should wait for the more expensive drop ship from Spain to avoid tax. Anyone care to weigh in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I think what I'm looking for is a box running Android TV, google's own flavour of Android box OS.

I've had my eye on the Mi Box for weeks and I reckon I'll take the plunge as I've found some folks on reddit confirm it has an IR receiver, which was a deal breaker for me. I've just been weighing up whether to go for the cheaper one direct from HK or if I should wait for the more expensive drop ship from Spain to avoid tax. Anyone care to weigh in?
    Take a look at the last or 2nd. last page of the Mi box thread on the Kodi hardware forum, there is someone there who has ordered the Mi box from Geekbuying and is casting some doubt as to whether it is the genuine International version as described, something about the colour of the box being wrong.....

I would wait for someone to take delivery and confirm its authenticity first.

Some sellers on Aliexpress have it for $75 but again thread carefully.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I bought the Leelbox Q3 Pro in a lightning deal at 55 quid, and I'm very happy with it,
    Now looking for another box for my soon-to-be new Black Friday TV, I've been looking at the same manufacturer's M9S Pro..

The latter seems to have a newer processor and graphics chip, and I was just wondering if anyone has experience of it:

Specs are:

Q3 Pro:
    CPU: Amlogic S905X Quad-core Cortex A53 64bit
    GPU: Octa Mali-450MP4
    RAM: 2GB DDRIII ; ROM: 16GB Emmc

M9S Pro:
    CPU: S912 Octa-core cortex-A53@2.0G
    GPU: Mali-T820MP3
    RAM:2GB DDRIII ; ROM: 16GB Emmc

I'm assuming the Octa core is going to be a better box, but just wanted to check if anyone had heard any negatives about this chipset?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

I was thinking of getting an android box. Are the keyboards/mice that are an optional extra necessary?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

padzer wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting an android box. Are the keyboards/mice that are an optional extra necessary?

Thanks

The keyboard is a necessity imo.
    Try typing anything in via the remote and you'll lose the will to live after a a few minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The keyboard is a necessity imo.
    Try typing anything in via the remote and you'll lose the will to live after a a few minutes
    Couldn't have put it better myself :)

Advertisement