Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Bob Z wrote: »

Not really.
    Look for 2 GB ram and 16gb storage, you would get that spec for €40 +

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Bob Z wrote: »
    First up Im no expert on these things but on face value thats an entry level box imo and like most things you get what you pay for. From reading other posts in this thread it seems as if you should be aiming for a box with 2gb ram and 16gb storage which would be far superior and wouldnt cost a lot more really.

But wait for replies from those "in the know" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

muffler wrote: »
    First up Im no expert on these things but on face value thats an entry level box imo and like most things you get what you pay for. From reading other posts in this thread it seems as if you should be aiming for a box with 2gb ram and 16gb storage which would be far superior and wouldnt cost a lot more really.

But wait for replies from those "in the know" :)

cheers ihavent a clue to be honest. im computer savvy so i want a box i can stream and put on oold emuktaers on

but i also want a simple box for my parents would that box do the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

padzer wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting an android box. Are the keyboards/mice that are an optional extra necessary?

Thanks

I have two of these and they are handy as they have the keyboard on the back and you just point and click!

I have to add they are pretty indestructible, the kids have constantly dropped them and a bit of tape has got them working again!

I also have a Minix A2 Lite, but it is a bit clunky so would recommend the one above!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

The keyboard is a necessity imo.
    Try typing anything in via the remote and you'll lose the will to live after a a few minutes

Well said! I've insisted that people buy a proper one when they box a box. They quickly see the reason why I do and have said thanks later.

Not an optional extra, more of an essential item in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭renov8

Quick question for those who might know about keyboard remotes. I bought the Rii i8+ and echo the recommendation to get one of these over the standard remotes that come with many boxes.

I am trying to turn my tv box on and off with this but can't figure out how. I have a Nexbox a95x. There is no on/off button (apart from the physical one that turns the remote itself on and off). Is there some way I can assign a button to do this or is there something simple i'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

renov8 wrote: »
    Quick question for those who might know about keyboard remotes. I bought the Rii i8+ and echo the recommendation to get one of these over the standard remotes that come with many boxes.

I am trying to turn my tv box on and off with this but can't figure out how. I have a Nexbox a95x. There is no on/off button (apart from the physical one that turns the remote itself on and off). Is there some way I can assign a button to do this or is there something simple i'm missing?

Here's a bit of a suggestion found on another site on the Power Options on the box.So you can power it down from the remote or assign the remote power button to Long Press for full shutdown or suspend.Hope this helps a bit.

svs0g2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/R-BOX-Pro-Amlogic-S912-Android-6-0-Marshmallow-4K-60FPS-3G-16G-TV-BOX-370722.html

Any thoughts on this box folks? Would the 3GB RAM be a good investment? Was hoping to pick something up quite a bit cheaper than the Minix Neo U1, so how would this compare? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭renov8

bazzz wrote: »
    Here's a bit of a suggestion found on another site on the Power Options on the box.So you can power it down from the remote or assign the remote power button to Long Press for full shutdown or suspend.Hope this helps a bit.

svs0g2.jpg

Thanks, but that applies to the remote that comes with the nexbox. I'm using a rii i8+. There's no power button on it that i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Look up key mapping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

renov8 wrote: »
    Thanks, but that applies to the remote that comes with the nexbox. I'm using a rii i8+. There's no power button on it that i can see.
    batistuta9 wrote: »
    Look up key mapping

Yes as @batistuta9 said look up keymapping.On forums like freaktab.com there

are posts on keymapping for that specific remote & various Android boxes.I'm

not sure I'm allowed link the site.You'll find plenty options through a quick google

search.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Seamu$ wrote: »
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/R-BOX-Pro-Amlogic-S912-Android-6-0-Marshmallow-4K-60FPS-3G-16G-TV-BOX-370722.html

Any thoughts on this box folks? Would the 3GB RAM be a good investment? Was hoping to pick something up quite a bit cheaper than the Minix Neo U1, so how would this compare? Thanks.

A beast of a box, by the looks of it. The big risk with buying it from Geekbuying is Customs. Amazon.de have it for €80.00, but it too comes from China. There's a guy on Ebay selling them ex London for £80.00. That price includes a keyboard. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R-BOX-PRO-Amlogic-S912-Octa-Core-Android-6-0-3GB-RAM-16G-KODI-TV-BOX-Keyboard-/251557318629?hash=item3a91fc0fe5:g:Ku8AAOSwo4pYIy1B

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

Have a look at Tv4less on FB ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Have a look at Tv4less on FB ðŸ‘

Cowboys4less seems more apt to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Apologies for another which box post......

Have a couple of AFTV 2nd gen and they've pissed me off tonight as the broadband is down and they are fairly useless. Parental controls and all that is preventing me from launching Plex.

Anyways I was planning to replace one with either a Shield or an Xbox One S depending on the Black Friday deals. Might just replace the bedroom AFTV now also.

So just need it for Netflix and Plex. Simple UI that the kids can use and if the UI only had two icons (Netflix, Plex) all the better. I'd prefer them not being able to launch crap if possible. Bonus points if I can get a Harmony remote to control the box (have a FLIRC if needed) down the line.

Extra bonus points for the less arsing around I have to do setting the thing up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

SachaJ wrote: »
    Apologies for another which box post......

Have a couple of AFTV 2nd gen and they've pissed me off tonight as the broadband is down and they are fairly useless. Parental controls and all that is preventing me from launching Plex.

Anyways I was planning to replace one with either a Shield or an Xbox One S depending on the Black Friday deals. Might just replace the bedroom AFTV now also.

So just need it for Netflix and Plex. Simple UI that the kids can use and if the UI only had two icons (Netflix, Plex) all the better. I'd prefer them not being able to launch crap if possible. Bonus points if I can get a Harmony remote to control the box (have a FLIRC if needed) down the line.

Extra bonus points for the less arsing around I have to do setting the thing up.....

I've never used one, but some Roku boxes have remotes that have a Netflix button, if convenience is the main priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

branners69 wrote: »
    You might need to do a bit more research as you don't record to these type of boxes!

It is possible to record or download to them at least.
    Done a few episodes of this and that to main memory on box and also to a usb stick. Generally click on the C button on keyboard and then selecting download.

kleefarr wrote: »
    It is possible to record or download to them at least.
    Done a few episodes of this and that to main memory on box and also to a usb stick. Generally click on the C button on keyboard and then selecting download.

Yes you can download but that wasn't the question!!

How is it possible to record to these type of boxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Not tried on alive stream yet myself but google has a few options.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Not tried on alive stream yet myself but google has a few options.

Best come back when you have done it so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

I'd suggest that you do some some research and re-phrase that question to ask why would you want to record on these boxes...

There is no need for a record function because every programme is available to watch back on demand, if you know where to look. Allegedly.

Google is your friend as we can't discuss that sort of thing any further here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I use a paid sports addon in kodi and that lets you record with a click of a button.

It's definitely possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Dunno about the rest if you lot, but I find downloads are real PITA.

It's a real slow and laborious process, with downloads usually taking the same amount of time as the video itself.

Ie, 30 min video takes 30 mins to download, and I have 100meg broadband :eek:

BandMember wrote: »
    I'd suggest that you do some some research and re-phrase that question to ask why would you want to record on these boxes...

There is no need for a record function because every programme is available to watch back on demand, if you know where to look. Allegedly.

Google is your friend as we can't discuss that sort of thing any further here.

Just to clear this up. I know exactly what these boxes do and don't do! A poster asked weeks ago how to record on these boxes. My answer at the time was do more research.

Kleefarr has confused the issue today saying recording is possible. This makes people believe these boxes will replace their Sky box, which it won't!

Fine if you pay for a paid add-on and it lets you record but this is not the norm!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

There are boxes that can handle and record TV. WeTek boxes (which have a big Boards following) have tuners for satellite, cable etc. I myself have a Pavo M9 which has HDMI input. I run the Virgin box through it and so have a record option, though I mainly only use that feature to keep the M9 and Virgin box on the same HDMI port because my TV only has 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We all know that 99% of the stuff these boxes can stream make recording redundant.Miss an episode? You'll be pretty confident of finding it in seconds,the same for sports events,there's several add-ons for highlights or full replays.
    I won't go any further on the topic for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

Hi all,

Any experience with the T95z plus?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QcoQce-Amlogic-Marshmallow-Bluetooth-Streaming/dp/B01M0Q5A01

I see UK sellers with them on eBay and Amazon for around £50-60

Are these worth it/are there better options for the price?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

ian.f wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any experience with the T95z plus?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QcoQce-Amlogic-Marshmallow-Bluetooth-Streaming/dp/B01M0Q5A01

I see UK sellers with them on eBay and Amazon for around £50-60

Are these worth it/are there better options for the price?

Thanks

Take a look at some of the review on Amazon - one described it as a possible glorified paperweight. Err on side of caution is my advice for what it's worth - at least you won't be out of pocket.

Advertisement