Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Kodi needs an operating system to allow it run. As the USB stick doesnt have Win/Android/etc, although you can store it on there, it won't be able to run. And as your TV doesn't have an OS compatible with it.............
    what about using blue stacks, or whatever its called

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SteM

flutered wrote: »

Bluestacks won't run on a Samsung TV though. It's an android emu for PCs and Macs. Why run an emulator on those systems just to get Kodi running when you can run Kodi natively on those machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Bluestacks allows you run Android apps on a windows PC, its an emulator(emulates the android environment on something that isn't Android).
    The point here is that a USB stick has no native OS, it is just a storage device accessible by other devices with various OS's, Kodi needs an OS to run on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

There is a new Minix no exact release date , likely dec jan period

http://hardware.hdblog.it/2016/09/02/Minix-Neo-U9-H-Android-4K-HDR--Anteprima-IFA-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Bluestacks allows you run Android apps on a windows PC, its an emulator(emulates the android environment on something that isn't Android).
    The point here is that a USB stick has no native OS, it is just a storage device accessible by other devices with various OS's, Kodi needs an OS to run on.
    could it not be put on a thumb drive thenadd kodi, insert thumb drive into tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Yes, if the TV runs a windows, android, LINUX,or another KODI approved OS, which is possible in the case of Sony, which, as has been outlined above, runs Android, but not many others do .

LG use Web OS which is actually forked linux from about 20 years ago, but was Palm OS for most of its life.

As far as I'm aware, Samsung use Tizen, which was developed in house as a competitor to android.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

SteM wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with my reply. Read his full post.

Hey, just reporting what I've read on the topic - have no personal experience of using an android tv so I can't say how accurate it is.

However, seeing as you are highlights parts of what I said, I've highlighted the one key word from my last sentence - "So, maybe you've had a lucky escape.... ". ;) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SteM

BandMember wrote: »
    Hey, just reporting what I've read on the topic - have no personal experience of using an android tv so I can't say how accurate it is.

However, seeing as you are highlights parts of what I said, I've highlighted the one key word from my last sentence - "So, maybe you've had a lucky escape.... ". ;) :cool:

I was highlighting it but cause another poster made a mistake, not to point out that you were wrong. No need to get pissy about it.

SteM wrote: »
    I was highlighting it but cause another poster made a mistake, not to point out that you were wrong. No need to get pissy about it.

Sorry, if it came across like that - didn't mean like that at all!! :o

I've got no problems with your post Ste, was actually glad to hear that someone was having a good experience with their android tv - all these things cost so much, that's a joke when they don't operate well or do the job they are supposed to. As I say, I've read plenty of reports of people having problems with them so it's always good to hear from someone reporting positive experiences as it will in turn lead to others purchasing which in turn will lead to companies pursuing those avenues, you know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

Fair enough. As I say, there's been plenty of chat on this thread about spec (even the last few pages) so if you have a look back, you'll know what to look for. If you're unsure, just post a link and someone will get back to you.

As for the content, I wouldn't use any apps on these boxes to be honest - most are full of pop up ads, malware and the picture quality is rubbish. Stick to Kodi and use the various add ons there. However, I'd recommend wiping Kodi and doing a fresh install so you only have the add ons that you will actually need and use. Less junk that's installed on the box, the better. I reckon most would do the same, but pretty much all of these boxes come with stuff installed on them......but that's as far as we go on that particular topic here....

Just for balance, Apps work better than KODI imo
    There are some pop-ups, but no malware
    High quality streams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

So I got the new Mi box 4k HDR and I really like it. Kodi runs great on it. I love the remote control, navigation is so easy. It also has a built in voice receiver in the remote so you can search google by speech. Wifi signal is great running on 5ghz.
    But I'm having terrible trouble d/l apps from Google Play store on it. When I search for an app in the store, it just isn't finding it. That's not to say it doesn't find any, it finds some e.g. plex, vlc, spotify.
    When I look at Google Playstore on my PC, for example MiHome app (which I have on my phone), I see my MiBox but next to it it says 'No Carrier Xiaomi MiBox3'. What does this mean and is there anyway around it please?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

iba wrote: »
    So I got the new Mi box 4k HDR and I really like it. Kodi runs great on it. I love the remote control, navigation is so easy. It also has a built in voice receiver in the remote so you can search google by speech. Wifi signal is great running on 5ghz.
    But I'm having terrible trouble d/l apps from Google Play store on it. When I search for an app in the store, it just isn't finding it. That's not to say it doesn't find any, it finds some e.g. plex, vlc, spotify.
    When I look at Google Playstore on my PC, for example MiHome app (which I have on my phone), I see my MiBox but next to it it says 'No Carrier Xiaomi MiBox3'. What does this mean and is there anyway around it please?
    Thanks

'No Carrier Xiaomi MiBox3'.
    Is this greyed out or can you select it?

neacy69 wrote: »
    Thanks

'No Carrier Xiaomi MiBox3'.
    Is this greyed out or can you select it?
    Thanks for your reply. I can not select it.
    it has an 'x' beside it i.e. 'x No Carrier Xiaomi MiBox3' whereas of my phone it has a tick mark 'tick mark Etisalat xiaomi Redmi Note 2'
    BTW I'm using the MiHome app as an example here but it is the same with other apps eg Mi Fit app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

I've gone back a good few pages and still stumped on what box I should be looking at. From reading here I should get 2gb and 16gb storage?

My wifi will be 70mb at the exchange(maybe 30-40ish at home I hope) but wont be installed for another 3weeks. the router will be about 10ft thru a partition wall away from the box, don't have any way of getting it closer without drilling and running wires which I don't wanna do.
    What sort of WiFi do I need on the box? One I've seen has both 2.4G and 5G. Is this good, bad or standard and what does even mean?
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/252331931211?_mwBanner=1
    Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

.red. wrote: »
    I've gone back a good few pages and still stumped on what box I should be looking at. From reading here I should get 2gb and 16gb storage?

My wifi will be 70mb at the exchange(maybe 30-40ish at home I hope) but wont be installed for another 3weeks. the router will be about 10ft thru a partition wall away from the box, don't have any way of getting it closer without drilling and running wires which I don't wanna do.
    What sort of WiFi do I need on the box? One I've seen has both 2.4G and 5G. Is this good, bad or standard and what does even mean?
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/252331931211?_mwBanner=1
    Thanks folks.

homeplugs may be a better option than running it over wifi

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    homeplugs may be a better option than running it over wifi

Thanks,
    I had thought of them but was trying to keep the cost down and a quick look at the plugs put them at anything between €50/70
    I'd assumed I'd get a box for €50/60. Reading here I need to spend a bit more and will be buying around christmas which with 2 Santa aged kids is expensive enough lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Thanks,
    I had thought of them but was trying to keep the cost down and a quick look at the plugs put them at anything between €50/70
    I'd assumed I'd get a box for €50/60. Reading here I need to spend a bit more and will be buying around christmas which with 2 Santa aged kids is expensive enough lol.

santie could be the man to ask for the homeplugs then;) you could always try running it on wifi first to see but i suspect if you buy an entry level box, the wifi could just be ****e.

Thanks,

At that distance from the router and going through a few walls, I would strongly recommend homeplugs. Otherwise, you're only going to get a lot of buffering issues (especially with any live stuff) and very slow loading times.

I dunno where you are getting them €50-70 though, Argos do them for under €30 and you can get them for even less online... :confused:

You can get a box for €50 or less. But it's probably going to be an expensive paperweight. As has been said a thousand times on this thread, you get what you pay for - better to pay extra for a good box that will work perfectly and last you years rather than something cheap that will cause you nothing but problems and won't last too long, you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

You'll pick up set of home plugs for about 25 Euro
    Thanks,

• Advertisement

You can get a box for €50 or less. But it's probably going to be an expensive paperweight. As has been said a thousand times on this thread, you get what you pay for - better to pay extra for a good box that will work perfectly and last you years rather than something cheap that will cause you nothing but problems and won't last too long, you know?

I originally thought I'd be spending €50/60, reading here I now know I need to spend a bit more but how much more? I don't wanna buy a high end box with loads of features I don't need but at the same time don't want to buy junk. I'm a big believer in "buy cheap, buy twice".
    Can anyone link to eBay/amazon or better again a cork link for adverts or done deal with a good box that I'll be happy with in 6 weeks/months. Preferably under €100 but I'll spend what needs to be spent.
    As for the plugs, it'll be 10ft away from the router but thru a glass door and partition wall. Dunno if this matters but it'll be plugged in thru an extension lead thats run a good bit away from the original socket as the clowns who built the house didn't put one where the phone line came in.
    Thanks again guys.

I originally thought I'd be spending €50/60, reading here I now know I need to spend a bit more but how much more? I don't wanna buy a high end box with loads of features I don't need but at the same time don't want to buy junk. I'm a big believer in "buy cheap, buy twice".
    Can anyone link to eBay/amazon or better again a cork link for adverts or done deal with a good box that I'll be happy with in 6 weeks/months. Preferably under €100 but I'll spend what needs to be spent.
    As for the plugs, it'll be 10ft away from the router but thru a glass door and partition wall. Dunno if this matters but it'll be plugged in thru an extension lead thats run a good bit away from the original socket as the clowns who built the house didn't put one where the phone line came in.
    Thanks again guys.

I've read your original post again to double check, but you say that your internet won't be installed for a few weeks yet? If it's FTTC (which I presume it is from what you said), they will run a line to wherever in the house you want it. I've asked them to do it twice myself and they did very neat and tidy jobs in both cases. I've mentioned this to others who asked them to do the same thing and they did.

What a lot of people fail to understand is that the wifi on any of these boxes is not as good as the wifi capability of your laptop, phone etc. However, if you take my suggestion above, that will make things a lot more stable for you (not to mention a lot easier if you decide to take a tv package further down the line) as well boosting your speeds because if your line is only going to be getting 30MB max, you won't get the full 30 over wifi.

I'm afraid that we are the exact opposites in our purchasing beliefs! :D I'll give you an example. I bought mine over two years ago, a mate was interested and decided to buy one a few months later. However, he refused to spend the cash and bought a cheap one for €50. Roll on to today, he's had nothing but problems so has now got a lovely set of €100 (2 x 50) paperweights and has bought his third box (although thankfully he's finally seen the light and spent some cash on this one!) along with over €100 on the new box while mine is still working away great since day one! :cool:

You can pick this one cheap at the moment as there is a newer model coming out in the next few weeks - https://www.amazon.co.uk/MINIX-Lollipop-Quad-core-Ethernet-Bluetooth/dp/B018TIZVYO/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1480531703&sr=1-6&keywords=minix+neo+u1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Thanks
    I think that it is because your Mi box is running Android TV OS there is only a limited number of apps available for it.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    Thanks
    I think that it is because your Mi box is running Android TV OS there is only a limited number of apps available for it.
    Ah, so you can't d/l any app you want from the Google Playstore?
    I didn't know that.

I've read your original post again to double check, but you say that your internet won't be installed for a few weeks yet? If it's FTTC (which I presume it is from what you said), they will run a line to wherever in the house you want it. I've asked them to do it twice myself and they did very neat and tidy jobs in both cases. I've mentioned this to others who asked them to do the same thing and they did.

What a lot of people fail to understand is that the wifi on any of these boxes is not as good as the wifi capability of your laptop, phone etc. However, if you take my suggestion above, that will make things a lot more stable for you (not to mention a lot easier if you decide to take a tv package further down the line) as well boosting your speeds because if your line is only going to be getting 30MB max, you won't get the full 30 over wifi.

I'm afraid that we are the exact opposites in our purchasing beliefs! :D I'll give you an example. I bought mine over two years ago, a mate was interested and decided to buy one a few months later. However, he refused to spend the cash and bought a cheap one for €50. Roll on to today, he's had nothing but problems so has now got a lovely set of €100 (2 x 50) paperweights and has bought his third box (although thankfully he's finally seen the light and spent some cash on this one!) along with over €100 on the new box while mine is still working away great since day one! :cool:

I have basic broadband at the moment, whopping speeds of up to 2mbs on a good day. Fibre of up to 70mbs is being installed by sky on the 17th so I'll ask them to run the cables into the living room where the box will be.
    As for the purchasing beliefs, I did say I believe in "buy cheap, buy twice" lol.
    That box you linked is a bit more than I wanted, about €125 delivered but comes with an airmouse included which is something I wanted anyway so it makes it a bit more palatable.
    Thanks a million.

I have basic broadband at the moment, whopping speeds of up to 2mbs on a good day. Fibre of up to 70mbs is being installed by sky on the 17th so I'll ask them to run the cables into the living room where the box will be.
    As for the purchasing beliefs, I did say I believe in "buy cheap, buy twice" lol.
    That box you linked is a bit more than I wanted, about €125 delivered but comes with an airmouse included which is something I wanted anyway so it makes it a bit more palatable.
    Thanks a million.
    I recommend something like this over an air mouse:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-QWERTY-Layout/dp/B00XJ3LVPI/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1480534885&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭batistuta9

i just use a wifi mouse, works great. if you've one around i'd go with it first

Thanks a million.

You know that there is a line checker/address checker where you can check the speeds online, right? That should give you a fairly good idea of what you'll be getting....

Ah, so you believe the same as me - you just say it arseways? :D :pac:

It might be touching the target of your spending, but it'll be worth it in the long run because it will last you longer and you will have very little issues with it. I follow a few Kodi groups and I would say that 99% of people posting actual problems with boxes have cheap boxes. I've yet to see many about the better (and therefore more expensive boxes).

I think everyone here is in agreement that a keyboard with a mouse is an essential piece of kit. If you wanted a different one than the one in that link, just buy the box and buy this elsewhere - http://www.adverts.ie/tv/air-mouse-wireless-keyboard-remote/6349987 (not necessarily from this link, you might get it cheaper elsewhere online but this remote is great and very easy to control and use)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

if you are using an Android Box for steaming, you will need a decent internet speed
    Use speedtest app to test

The cheapest and best way to get a decent speed, is a network cable (pref cat6) between the network/Ethernet port rj45 on the Android Box and your ISP router

next powerline adapters, I am not certain how effective these are , because they suffer from interference from power currents

if your Android Box has 802ac dual band wifi, you will get surprisingly good internet speeds, to do this your need to buy your own 802ac dual band wifi
    router, approx 90 euro, google Archer c7, c8 or c9, which you connect to your isp router
    this benefits other devices in the house, your smartphone, ;laptop etc
    The reason for this is the standard router from your ISP will more than likely have poor wifi

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057367191

Advertisement