Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Just ordered a MINIX neo u1 from amazon. Thanks to anyone who replied to my many questions. Expect many more when I have it up and running lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

k123456 wrote: »

Dunno if that's aimed at me but if it is I don't understand any of it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

How does an android box compare to an amazon fire stick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Looking to get a present for myself for the Christmas. Want a device to get Kodi on for movies/tv shows.

2 choices at the minute

Amazon Fire Stick and Sideload Kodi on it
    Android TV Box.

Firestick gonna cost me the bones of 45 euro so would I get a better Android Box for that price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Looking to get a present for myself for the Christmas. Want a device to get Kodi on for movies/tv shows.

2 choices at the minute

Android TV Box.

Firestick gonna cost me the bones of 45 euro so would I get a better Android Box for that price?

I think you would be advised to get a better box (as in better than the bottom of the market 1GB/8GB ) than you would get for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Bob Z wrote: »
    How does an android box compare to an amazon fire stick

2 choices at the minute

Android TV Box.

It depends. I've not used a fire stick but from what I've read it's the old 'walled garden' argument; it's more limited but it's handier, basically.

What I will say is 'Android box' doesn't really give anyone much to work with. I have a couple of old android boxes that can run Kodi fine for now. They won't run future versions of it though and they're unwieldy to the point of infuriation at times. Your WiFi, the remote, your TV, the user interface, all of these are factors. Read reviews, know what you want, shop around.

Also, if you haven't used Kodi before, be prepared to hate it, especially if you are using 3rd-party plugins. If you're used to the likes of Netflix and are expecting the same thing, you'll be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

So I've garnered from this thread that the minix neo u1 or neox8 would be a good choice. It's £95 Sterling on amazon UK, about €110.

I probably will watch the odd tv series or movie on it but I already have both Netflix and sky go on my parents accounts so will only really use it for streaming sports.

My friend has an MX8 box which he bought for €50 a few weeks back - he is pretty happy with it but the streams are a little jumpy and picture isn't perfect - but it certainly is functional overall.

I don't mind paying the bit extra if I will have clearer picture and less jumpy streams but if it's just for the sake of more apps, storage, navigation screens etc it's not really worth it for me.

So can anyone advise me on would the minix neo u1 be worth the extra few quid for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

Sappy404 wrote: »
    What I will say is 'Android box' doesn't really give anyone much to work with. I have a couple of old android boxes that can run Kodi fine for now. They won't run future versions of it though and they're unwieldy to the point of infuriation at times. Your WiFi, the remote, your TV, the user interface, all of these are factors. Read reviews, know what you want, shop around.

Also, if you haven't used Kodi before, be prepared to hate it, especially if you are using 3rd-party plugins. If you're used to the likes of Netflix and are expecting the same thing, you'll be disappointed.

I completely agree with your first paragraph (well said and great advice!), but, I completely disgaree with your second. If you do some simple and quick research to figure out how to work Kodi properly and how to find what you are looking for, it's far better than the likes of Netflix as there is tonnes more content available. However, I can't say anymore as we're veering into a discussion that isn't allowed here.
    I probably will only really use it for streaming sports.

My friend has an MX8 box which he bought for €50 a few weeks back but the streams are a little jumpy and picture isn't perfect.

I don't mind paying the bit extra if I will have clearer picture and less jumpy streams.

So can anyone advise me on would the minix neo u1 be worth the extra few quid for me?

In a word, yes. Why? Well, because you answered your own question! I've edited your quote down to the relevant part(s) that you need to consider. What's the point in buying a cheap box for €50 if it's a piece of rubbish that doesn't work properly?? In my opinion, people who skimp on buying a quality box always regret it and pay for it in the long run in terms of money, patience and time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Well, you can always start "cheap" and see if you like it when you have no Android/Kodi experience. Like me only a few months ago.
    And if you like it, keep it as a back up when going for a better one.

Last night my internet went down for a bit making my box pretty useless of course so i imagined what it would be like if it had been the box that had gone tits up.

Always good to have back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SteM

Anyone that wants to start playing with Kodi - I always suggest that they install it on an Windows laptop or desktop they have if they don't have an android device. That way they can see if it suits them, get used to installing add-ons, using trakt etc and if they like it then buy a decent android box first time. Easy to copy your Kodi setup from the machine to your new Android box if buy one down the line.

Also, a lot of people have it in their head that they can only install Kodi on an Android box when they can also install it on a tablet or phone running android. Easy to play with it that way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

It depends. I've not used a fire stick but from what I've read it's the old 'walled garden' argument; it's more limited but it's handier, basically.

I'm used to Kodi and am happy with its uses. Was using it on my IPad Air until it stopped working recently :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I'm used to Kodi and am happy with its uses. Was using it on my IPad Air until it stopped working recently :(

If you can afford an Ipad Air, you can afford to spend more than 45 on an android box. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

BandMember wrote: »
    I completely agree with your first paragraph (well said and great advice!), but, I completely disgaree with your second. If you do some simple and quick research to figure out how to work Kodi properly and how to find what you are looking for, it's far better than the likes of Netflix as there is tonnes more content available. However, I can't say anymore as we're veering into a discussion that isn't allowed here.

I meant it doesn't compare to Netflix in terms of usability. Clearly Netflix is going to be limited in terms of content compared to a plugin providing illegal streams.

If anyone unfamiliar with Kodi thinks they're going to have a pain-free experience comparable to Netflix, they're likely in for a nasty surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

inforfun wrote: »
    Well, you can always start "cheap" and see if you like it when you have no Android/Kodi experience. Like me only a few months ago.
    And if you like it, keep it as a back up when going for a better one.

Last night my internet went down for a bit making my box pretty useless of course so i imagined what it would be like if it had been the box that had gone tits up.

Always good to have back up.

Yep I got an MXq box months ago on amazon for 25 quid, still works great but I'm ready to upgrade to something more fancy as a main box

SteM wrote: »
    Anyone that wants to start playing with Kodi - I always suggest that they install it on an Windows laptop or desktop they have if they don't have an android device. That way they can see if it suits them, get used to installing add-ons, using trakt etc and if they like it then buy a decent android box first time. Easy to copy your Kodi setup from the machine to your new Android box if buy one down the line.

Also, a lot of people have it in their head that they can only install Kodi on an Android box when they can also install it on a tablet or phone running android. Easy to play with it that way too.

+1. Great advice and something I would always tell people to do as well! :D
    I meant it doesn't compare to Netflix in terms of usability. Clearly Netflix is going to be limited in terms of content compared to a plugin providing illegal streams.

If anyone unfamiliar with Kodi thinks they're going to have a pain-free experience comparable to Netflix, they're likely in for a nasty surprise.

I will respectfully disagree with you but I think we should leave it at that before we wander into the forbidden zone... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

While using Kodi OS largely dependent on decent download speeds it's more important that you spend time installing the best add ons or builds. Preferably a good build. Set Kodi up poorly and you'll get poor performance.

Most people would advise against builds to be honest because they take up too much space, contain stuff that you don't need and the add ons may not update automatically when there are new versions available. However, I would completely agree with you that you should spend time installing the best add ons (the usual sites always have a list of them) and uninstall any old ones or ones that you don't use. You only need a few and the less stuff you install, the better Kodi will run. Your last sentence is key to getting the most out of Kodi, 100% agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Raoul

Was going to buy the Wetek play 2 today but it is sold out on Amazon (109 euro there). Does anyone have a discount code that is valid for Dec. for the Wetek site, as the cost of shipping is 15 euro??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

The Kodi addons you need are all here https://seo-michael.co.uk/top-10-add-ons/ ......I used to use 'builds" but found they always ran into trouble not long after with lots of stuff on them not used or failing .......you can do your own kodi build with skins and addon shortcuts to make it more appealing on the eye

• Advertisement

sonofenoch wrote: »
    The Kodi addons you need are all here (link removed because we can't talk about that content here)

Ah c'mon dude, are you trying to get the thread closed?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭IRL-Tony

Folks,

Reading through a few pages of this thread; there seems to be a few mentions of 'MINIX Neo U1' (about eur120 on Amazon) ... I'm just trying to figure out a good reason or two to purchase it over say something like this 'Leelbox M9S' (about eur63 on Amazon) ...
    - Both have 2gb RAM / 16gb ROM

What's the catch? What's the thing(s) that make someone pay extra for the 'MINIX Neo U1' ???
    Cheers folks ...

Regards,
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

IRL-Tony wrote: »
    Folks,

Reading through a few pages of this thread; there seems to be a few mentions of 'MINIX Neo U1' (about eur120 on Amazon) ... I'm just trying to figure out a good reason or two to purchase it over say something like this 'Leelbox M9S' (about eur63 on Amazon) ...

What's the catch? What's the thing(s) that make someone pay extra for the 'MINIX Neo U1' ???
    Cheers folks ...

Regards,
    T
    check if it has an s905 or s915 powering it, the s912 is the latest, some sellers are trying to sell boxes with an s815 in them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Brego888 wrote: »
    While using Kodi OS largely dependent on decent download speeds it's more important that you spend time installing the best add ons or builds. Preferably a good build. Set Kodi up poorly and you'll get poor performance.

This is completely wrong and misinforming.Number one point Kodi is not an OS ! It's Media Center Software.Builds are nothing officially to do with Kodi and are general junk.People should take time out of trying to use the 3rd party direction and actually learn what Kodi is first.It's not hard and you'll find it's easy to use and setup(whatever direction you take it).Now I'll stop talking off topic in this thread.....it's about the Devices here.

IRL-Tony wrote: »
    Folks,

Cheers folks ...

Regards,
    T

The short and sweet answer is Minix are tried and tested and have a good reputation and generally solid builds with great and long lasting support.Many of these cheaper boxes might look good on paper with newer chipsets etc,etc
    But they are often badly made and bottlenecked with issues.In fact many are bad clones of original products.

bazzz wrote: »
    This is completely wrong and misinforming.Number one point Kodi is not an OS ! It's Media Center Software.Builds are nothing officially to do with Kodi and are general junk.People should take time out of trying to use the 3rd party direction and actually learn what Kodi is first.It's not hard and you'll find it's easy to use and setup(whatever direction you take it).Now I'll stop talking off topic in this thread.....it's about the Devices here.

I have been using Kodi on a RPi3 and trying to stream 1080 content and to be honest sometimes the RPi fails me and the content buffers while if I am watching the same content on my tablet or PC using the same internet, the content streams perfectly. Last night watching the NFL on NFL game pass was a perfect example. I had to watch it in standard definition on the RPi but on the tablet I was able to watch it in perfect HD.

I am getting a Wetek Play 2 for xmas :)

Raoul wrote: »
    I have been using Kodi on a RPi3 and trying to stream 1080 content and to be honest sometimes the RPi fails me and the content buffers while if I am watching the same content on my tablet or PC using the same internet, the content streams perfectly. Last night watching the NFL on NFL game pass was a perfect example. I had to watch it in standard definition on the RPi but on the tablet I was able to watch it in perfect HD.

There's a few depending factors with using the like of a RPi3,the components it's put together with,the choice of OS,the type of Media Center Software and more.
    Instead of Kodi you could try OSMC which is optomised for RPi devices and will give better playback results.Plenty of people out there using Pi's with success in regards Kodi.
    Back on topic now,you should have plenty of success with the Wetek Play 2.There are plenty of directions you can take it and with Dual boots for Android and Openelec/Libreelec you'll have(should have) plenty of buffer free options.

bazzz wrote: »
    There's a few depending factors with using the like of a RPi3,the components it's put together with,the choice of OS,the type of Media Center Software and more.
    Instead of Kodi you could try OSMC which is optomised for RPi devices and will give better playback results.Plenty of people out there using Pi's with success in regards Kodi.
    Back on topic now,you should have plenty of success with the Wetek Play 2.There are plenty of directions you can take it and with Dual boots for Android and Openelec/Libreelec you'll have(should have) plenty of buffer free options.

Yep, that's what I am hoping for was already using LibreElec for the RPi. I can't fault the RPi as most of the time it was brilliant for what I wanted.

I am not really too sure about the direction to take the Wetek in. Are you better installing a dual boot libreelec/android or what about just using the android kodi app? Is there are a thread for this specifically? Don't want to clutter this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Ordering the Tuner DVB C/T/T2 or ATSC model? Stupid question possibly...but which one is not a white elephant?

• Advertisement

Yep, that's what I am hoping for was already using LibreElec for the RPi. I can't fault the RPi as most of the time it was brilliant for what I wanted.

I am not really too sure about the direction to take the Wetek in. Are you better installing a dual boot libreelec/android or what about just using the android kodi app? Is there are a thread for this specifically? Don't want to clutter this up.

I don't use any Wetek devices,but if it's for mostly Kodi related media streaming etc,etc.....Libreelec/Openelec are specifically built for this purpose,so it's a very light OS.
    So if it was mine I'd go dual boot Android-OE/LE and see if this runs smooth as a whole.Both have different advantages.

Advertisement