Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

vectra wrote: »
    Thats all very fine. But when you have people that simply have no clue where to start it is always helpful to get a bit of advice from experienced users.
    try looking at it from a the view of someone who is dyslistic then it becomecs gobblecock, they are entitled to help without having to reveal why

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I must check tomorrow but I could swear I am running 5 on my mx3.

Just checked
    I am actually running 4.4.2

So,
    Would it be possible to pin a list of future proof boxes without going into specifics ?
    It would be very convenient and all it would take is for members to add whichever model they thried and found to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Actually of thinking of a bit of future proofing myself.
    Any Thoughts on this ?? >> BOX
    Android TV Box A95X Amlogic S905 Quad Core ARM Cortex A53 CPU @2.0 GHz XBMC Kodi 16.0 Fully Loaded Media Player Android 5.1 lollipop Mini PC TV Stick 4K 1G 8G WiFi Ultra Slim Box (X96 2G+16G)

Or this BOX running android 6.
    Q Box 2+16G 4K Smart TV Box Android6.0 Quad Core KODI 16.0 Fully Loaded+Keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

They're both S905, so you're not future proofing much.

The S905X revision is intended for 6.0 and offers HDR and VP9 (the likely future of web video in a couple of years).

The Nexbox A95X has been well reviewed here and available £37 Super Saver Amazon (est. 7th-9th Jan) or from China (4-5 week wait and excluding possible customs & handling charge) for €40 - €42.50 all with 2GB RAM and 8GB storage. (one with 16GB storage & dual WiFi: €58)

(Plenty other options available, I went with the Beelink - no chance to set it up yet.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Invincible

The first box you linked, the original manufacturer are Vigica, they sell on Amazon too, others could be clones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Going to buy an android box this week looking at this one but I have no idea what factor's I should take into account when buying.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lollipop-Quad-core-Ethernet-Bluetooth-Double-sided/dp/B0192M8CSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483288559&sr=8-1&keywords=minix+neo+ui

OR

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Largest-Wireless-keyboard-COOLEAD%C2%AE-Streaming/dp/B01IJL3WN8/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1483288482&sr=1-23&keywords=android+tv+box

I'm only interested in streaming, are these over kill ? is there a cheaper version that does same job? anything around the 100e mark I can live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Going to buy an android box this week looking at this one but I have no idea what factor's I should take into account when buying.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lollipop-Quad-core-Ethernet-Bluetooth-Double-sided/dp/B0192M8CSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483288559&sr=8-1&keywords=minix+neo+ui

The MINIX and extra remote can be gotten for £99 on amazon with free delivery. Works out about €120.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

.red. wrote:
    The MINIX and extra remote can be gotten for £99 on amazon with free delivery. Works out about €120.

The minix u9 will be our in a couple of weeks. I'd wait for that if you can

dubrov wrote: »
    The minix u9 will be our in a couple of weeks. I'd wait for that if you can

Thanks. Any idea when exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Thanks. Any idea when exactly?

No. I think they were hoping to release in late December. I'm guessing it will very likely be this month but could be as late as March

• Advertisement

dubrov wrote: »
    No. I think they were hoping to release in late December. I'm guessing it will very likely be this month but could be as late as March

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MartP23

Completely new to the world of android TV boxes. Just wondering what would be the most recommended one if streaming is my main priority? Don't mind the cost just loowing for the best one. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

MartP23 wrote: »
    Completely new to the world of android TV boxes. Just wondering what would be the most recommended one if streaming is my main priority? Don't mind the cost just loowing for the best one

Have you read the last few pages, this question is asked all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MartP23

Oh thanks sorry, wasn't sure with there being 200 odd pages in the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Is the roku 3 any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

I'm running PLEX with sub on a NOW TV box, excellent quality and service, many channels in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Scratch that, received the box ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

I'm running PLEX with sub on a NOW TV box, excellent quality and service, many channels in HD

You're on the completely wrong thread, and you're discussing something that can't be talked about here (content wise).

This thread is about android boxes - a NOW TV box is not an android box, it's completely different. Just sayin'...... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

Sorry, my bad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

inforfun wrote: »
    Got mine finally set up this weekend but it keeps dropping the hdmi connection.
    Direct via hdmi or via my hdmi switch... doesnt matter.
    The Beelink i bought around the same time does all of a sudden the same when plugged to the switch together but stopped doing so when i unplugged the nexbox.

Will have to box it till i can test it on a new(er) tv.

Gave the Nexbox A95X another go this weekend. Furiously went into update mode after i switched it on first time after a month.
    During downloading the update, the hdmi connection problem still went on.
    After the update completed, i haven't seen the problem anymore.

Works smooth via WIFI for a few days now but tbf, distance between box and router is minimal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

i am using a nexus box it had kodi installed when i got it, no bother from it after six weeks, happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Invincible wrote: »
    Why did you not go for a box with Android 6.0 ?

Didn't see one. Are there any around that price with 2/8gb set up?
    I'll keep my eye for them if so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

kleefarr wrote: »
    Didn't see one. Are there any around that price with 2/8gb set up?
    I'll keep my eye for them if so.

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_414758.html?wid=3 2gb/16gb with 6.0

Selected the UK/EU warehouse version as getting stuff from China will be a pain in the coming weeks. Chinese new year

That is the one i mentioned 2 posts (or 3 up)
    Slightly more expensive than the one you ordered.

Since the update that sorted my hdmi issues, i am quite happy with this box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

But it's 200 pages and the advice changes the info at the start is out of date

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R11

inforfun wrote: »
    Looks decent. Does it come pre-loaded and easy to set up?
    Also I presume you won't get hit with customs coming from EU warehouse? Any idea how long delivery normally takes?

Bob Z wrote: »

Read the most recent few pages, more than enough up to date and useful information in it for newbies to start with.

Is the roku 3 any good?

The Roku 3 is not an android box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Go back 10 pages, most of the questions you're about to ask will be answered

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Tbh I don't think it's rocket science to work out that recent, relevant information will be in the last few of those 200 pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

R11 wrote: »
    Looks decent. Does it come pre-loaded and easy to set up?
    Also I presume you won't get hit with customs coming from EU warehouse? Any idea how long delivery normally takes?

You're better off without a preloaded one TBH.

Advertisement