Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

viperlogic wrote: »
    Regards buying a Minix U1, any concerns not buying from "MINIX Direct" on Amazon? Theres free shipping from the other sellers eg Plater? I know I could still use PM with MINIX Direct if its the recommended route.

I bought loads from a local seller and one from Amazon (don't think it was Minix Direct, can't remember) and never had any problems. The Minix isn't like the cheaper boxes in that you're going to get the genuine article and not a cheap clone. Now, having said that, the usual rules apply here: be smart, look for a genuine seller who is approved and has good reviews/customer feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm a bit confused here, want to invest in an android box, but don't know what to go for... Main purpose will be to use Kodi etc for watching legal content... Streaming movies etc...

I've only got two HDMI ports on the back of my telly, so wondering how I'm gonna set it up... I have the cable box linked to one and my Chromecast to the other... Will the box allow me to stream YouTube and Deezer from phones similar to how I use the Chromecast? It's kind of important as that's how we play music when I've got guests over.

What's the best box to get? The nvidia seems expensive, but I want something a little future proof and with a good amount of processing power. But I doubt I'll ever play games on it.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused here, want to invest in an android box, but don't know what to go for... Main purpose will be to use Kodi etc for watching legal content... Streaming movies etc...

I've only got two HDMI ports on the back of my telly, so wondering how I'm gonna set it up... I have the cable box linked to one and my Chromecast to the other... Will the box allow me to stream YouTube and Deezer from phones similar to how I use the Chromecast? It's kind of important as that's how we play music when I've got guests over.

What's the best box to get? The nvidia seems expensive, but I want something a little future proof and with a good amount of processing power. But I doubt I'll ever play games on it.

You connect the box via a HDMI cable, that's your only option. You can stream YouTube, pretty sure you can use Deezer as well.

The rest of your questions have all been answered multiple times on this thread, please read back the last couple of pages and you will find all the answers you are looking for. Thanks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Something like this will sort out your HDMI issue

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Audio-Video-Cables/SOWTECH-Switch-Pigtail-Connector-support-Switcher-Splitter/B019MJM2ZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483723430&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+spltter

I have Deezer and spotify apps on my box,so no worries there

Aha, looks like nvidia are releasing a new model this month... And it should be cheaper than what's currently listed on Amazon... Benefits for me are that it acts as a Chromecast and has Nougat, so will be compatible with some of the apps I use...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Aha, looks like nvidia are releasing a new model this month... And it should be cheaper than what's currently listed on Amazon... Benefits for me are that it acts as a Chromecast and has Nougat, so will be compatible with some of the apps I use...

^ Nice - that'd be worth holding off on for any waverers looking for the Rolls Royce model..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ok folks its been a while since I was in the market for an android box.

But have 1 or 2 questions.

Reading back the last few pages and am I right in saying the A95X is the best value for money?

Budget is around the €50 mark and this one from amazon2Gb/16G looks the job and for £4 more migh as well to get the 16G model.

Compatible with **** 17 and Amazon are more or less same price as china route or is there any other store less than £41.99 delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

yabadabado wrote: »
    Ok folks its been a while since I was in the market for an android box.

But have 1 or 2 questions.

Reading back the last few pages and am I right in saying the A95X is the best value for money?

Budget is around the €50 mark and this one from amazon2Gb/16G looks the job and for £4 more migh as well to get the 16G model.

Compatible with **** 17 and Amazon are more or less same price as china route or is there any other store less than £41.99 delivered?

sorry dont know much android boxes but that looks excellent only one review though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Bob Z wrote: »
    sorry dont know much android boxes but that looks excellent only one review though
    Only one review there but hundreds on other sites.Mostly good things being said about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

kleefarr wrote: »

Have to say I like this box, very responsive and no issues setting up after a factory reset. :)

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote: »
    ^ Nice - that'd be worth holding off on for any waverers looking for the Rolls Royce model..

I'll buy it new... Not keen to wait for someone else sell it on second hand... If that's what you're recommending.

I'll buy it new... Not keen to wait for someone else sell it on second hand... If that's what you're recommending.

Ah no I just meant it's not out yet - not sure if there's even a release date?

Edit; strangely, just read a couple of reviews / previews of it from the CES show..
    One was suggesting it was much the same as previous version, bar smaller firm factor and different controller..
    The other suggests a good leap forward, including smart home integration..

https://www.slashgear.com/new-nvidia-shield-tv-hands-on-at-ces-2017-all-about-that-controller-05470499/

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/139904-new-nvidia-shield-tv-is-the-4k-android-entertainment-centre-and-smart-home-hub-of-the-future

Ah no I just meant it's not out yet - not sure if there's even a release date?

Edit; strangely, just read a couple of reviews / previews of it from the CES show..
    One was suggesting it was much the same as previous version, bar smaller firm factor and different controller..
    The other suggests a good leap forward, including smart home integration..

https://www.slashgear.com/new-nvidia-shield-tv-hands-on-at-ces-2017-all-about-that-controller-05470499/

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/139904-new-nvidia-shield-tv-is-the-4k-android-entertainment-centre-and-smart-home-hub-of-the-future

Release date is the 16 Jan. The running gear is similar to the previous model, but some suggest it may have a new chipset. New controller and remote with built in microphones and tight integration to Google home, plus it's got Nougat so better app support and it also has full Chromecast functionality... It also has support for full 4K HDR output, which while not a dealbreaker, is kinda ideal, coz I just got a new telly that also supports those specs.

It may not be a big enough reason to upgrade, but is much more compelling for me to buy than the last version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

I was looking at buying the new Nvidia Shield TV but it is a real let down.
    It is basically old hardware repackaged. It does have a decent software update that will also be rolled out to the first generation model.

Quick comparison here

Quick summary of new model here

I think I will hold on for the Minix U9 as I probably would have done very little gaming anyway

dubrov wrote: »
    I was looking at buying the new Nvidia Shield TV but it is a real let down.
    It is basically old hardware repackaged. It does have a decent software update that will also be rolled out to the first generation model.

Quick comparison here

Quick summary of new model here

I think I will hold on for the Minix U9 as I probably would have done very little gaming anyway

It does 4k HDR - not sure if the first version did?
    If so, I'd be buying the earlier model when retailers discount their stock..

It does 4k HDR - not sure if the first version did?
    If so, I'd be buying the earlier model when retailers discount their stock..

I think the first version also does 4k HDR.
    I'd consider it at a discount but it would need to be south of £140 to have a chance.

I think the first version also does 4k HDR.
    I'd consider it at a discount but it would need to be south of £140 to have a chance.

Id imagine it would sell all day long at £150..
    I'd be very tempted at that, even though I've no use for it.

Edit: I see it's 190 on Amazon at the minute..
    You might be right at 140 when it becomes the previous generation

Id imagine it would sell all day long at £150..
    I'd be very tempted at that, even though I've no use for it.

Edit: I see it's 190 on Amazon at the minute..
    You might be right at 140 when it becomes the previous generation

The pricing is very strange at the moment.
    From what I can see on Amazon UK, the 16GB Gen1 is £274 while the Gen2 is £190. The Gen1 is from a 3rd party seller and it looks like Amazon is sold out.

Gen1 was previously about £135 for Jan-Mar 2016.
    Full price history here

The pricing is very strange at the moment.
    From what I can see on Amazon UK, the 16GB Gen1 is £274 while the Gen2 is £190. The Gen1 is from a 3rd party seller and it looks like Amazon is sold out.

Gen1 was previously about £135 for Jan-Mar 2016.
    Full price history here

Ah you're right!
    That's a good price for the new one IMO - if the old one were to hit 120, I'd be all over it..

I probably would be too at £120 but it looks like old stock is pretty much cleared out everywhere so it may not happen.

Even more strangely, the 16GB Gen1 is still selling for well over £200 on Ebay.
    Why are people paying more for a second hand older model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nedd

Just ordered the new Shield :-)

total impulse buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

nedd wrote: »
    Just ordered the new Shield :-)

total impulse buy

Yeah I'm tempted but I'll wait till next month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nedd

Yeah I'm tempted but I'll wait till next month

Cancelled my sky sub on Friday, bought this today. Are they connected? 😀

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Kodi and exodus and you're sorted
    Not sure why anyone pays for sky anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭vectra

^^ Careful what you post please.^^

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I bought one of these a few years ago, but ending up giving it to a family member. Thinking of going down this route again - with a better remote. Have been catching up on the last 300 posts or so. May pull the trigger after a little more research. First question - what are you getting as the price goes up?

I bought one of these a few years ago, but ending up giving it to a family member. Thinking of going down this route again - with a better remote. Have been catching up on the last 300 posts or so. May pull the trigger after a little more research. First question - what are you getting as the price goes up?

I think in general, if you're looking at, say, the MINIX over a generic S905X box, you're getting better software support, bug fixes and an active community.

If you go the cheaper route, be ready for bugs and unexpected app shut downs etc..

Incidentally, if you read back a bit, I was delighted to find a custom ROM for my generic box, which is now running like a dream.

Better spec, better product, better tech. That's the long and short of it really. If you look at any of the tech forums, the best rated boxes are always at the high end of the market. A lot of the cheap boxes have inferior tech and/or parts and can be clones. Also, have you ever tried to update the firmware in the boxes who don't have OTA updates? Nightmare!! The remote that comes with any box is rubbish, IMHO. I would always recommend purchasing a separate remote, definitely one with a keypad.

^ Yeah the mini Rii keyboard at about a tenner is perfect

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

BandMember wrote: »
    Better spec, better product, better tech. That's the long and short of it really. If you look at any of the tech forums, the best rated boxes are always at the high end of the market. A lot of the cheap boxes have inferior tech and/or parts and can be clones. Also, have you ever tried to update the firmware in the boxes who don't have OTA updates? Nightmare!! The remote that comes with any box is rubbish, IMHO. I would always recommend purchasing a separate remote, definitely one with a keypad.

Thanks for the posts, I don't understand much about reviewing these outside of the OS and RAM. Talking to someone recently didn't even unwrap the stock remote 'fit for the bin!' Now I realise I owe the family member I mentioned a decent one...

Updates were a struggle on the one I bought, iirc.

Advertisement