Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

For the 1st time I am going to have speeds of 70mb so i'm going to ditch the sky and get some android boxes, what to get i have no idea. I only want the best and i need to have multiroom for the kids so an aditional 2 rooms will be needed so 3 in total. What are my best options anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

For the 1st time I am going to have speeds of 70mb so i'm going to ditch the sky and get some android boxes, what to get i have no idea. I only want the best and i need to have multiroom for the kids so an aditional 2 rooms will be needed so 3 in total. What are my best options anyone?

Best option is read back over the last couple of pages. It's all there :)

Best option is read back over the last couple of pages. It's all there :)

Thanks, was hoping someone might be able to sum it all up for me:) as the info is pretty well scatthered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Thanks, was hoping someone might be able to sum it all up for me:) as the info is pretty well scatthered.

OK best is nvidia shield. Expensive but a new one on the way. Tho as is its a great option for your kids room

You do realise it won't be multi room like you have now yea?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Raoul

I did read over the last 15 pages and didn't bother asking what is the best. But to be honest, it is scattered all over the place and filled with people asking what is the best and then a response saying read the last 15 pages.

• Advertisement

OK best is nvidia shield. Expensive but a new one on the way. Tho as is its a great option for your kids room

You do realise it won't be multi room like you have now yea?

Ya I figured that, I am prepared to get 3 boxes if needed, maybe one good box for the main room and 2 average boxes for the other rooms.

What about the Mag254 ?, thats after been recommended to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

What about the Mag254 ?, thats after been recommended to me.

That's not an android box, and is mainly used for content that can't be discussed here.

Raoul wrote: »
    I did read over the last 15 pages and didn't bother asking what is the best. But to be honest, it is scattered all over the place and filled with people asking what is the best and then a response saying read the last 15 pages.

You'd want to read it more carefully so, as the question has been answered on a number of times in the last 5 pages... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Reading back is a mess in fairness. I bought my first one a week ago and I read back about 10 pages (of 40 posts per page) and it took a few times going over it to make sense. Things like S905 and S912 get thrown around everywhere and were a bit baffling to begin with but from my understanding the S912 is the newest chip which is why I ended up going with this one.
    It was a couple of pound cheaper at the time. This box has 2GB of RAM which seems to be fairly standard on the newer boxes and it has android 6 so it should be pretty good for some time yet.

I have also used a Aoidin Android projector (really cool gadget) which only has 1GB RAM, Android 4.4 and an older version of Kodi installed but it works just as well as the newer one for now.

I then bought a new remote for the box, after reading a few reviews I went for this one. Again it was a few pound cheaper when I got it (it was 19.95stg). The only thing it doesn't do for me is power the box on and off but I just keep the crappy remote for that in a drawer. The Minix is great, the airmouse is the biz and the keyboard on the back is a really good size imo, you also don't need to point it directly at the box which is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,180 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Shield as the main box, couple of Amazon fire sticks for the kids bedrooms. Sorted! :D

Though if you're not bothered about cost I'd go with windows as your main box. Intel NUC or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,445 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

personally wouldnt recommend android boxes for your needs, what i would recommend unfortunately cant be talked about on this forum. ask around;)

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Would any one recommend the Amazon Fire T.v?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I then bought a new remote for the box, after reading a few reviews I went for this one. Again it was a few pound cheaper when I got it (it was 19.95stg). The only thing it doesn't do for me is power the box on and off but I just keep the crappy remote for that in a drawer. The Minix is great, the airmouse is the biz and the keyboard on the back is a really good size imo, you also don't need to point it directly at the box which is great.

I use my cheapo 10 euro Lidl remote ....hate swapping remotes in hand so this works everything ...works great with the learn function and these android remotes are very basic so not alot to learn on it .....have never seen the need for a keyboard remote as I've always found the onboard keyboard on android perfectly adequate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The MXIII M82 is the box I bought originally and gave away.
    UsedToWait wrote: »
    ^ Yeah the mini Rii keyboard at about a tenner is perfect

Would the mini Rii remote work my old box?

Looking at some newer boxes now, and TP Link plugs too. Would nearly order tonight only I'm looking at some Philips Hue stuff too and it's not back in stock yet.

How to these two compare? Here and here.

Might follow Graham_B18C's lead above.

The MXIII M82 is the box I bought originally and gave away.

Would the mini Rii remote work my old box?

Looking at some newer boxes now, and TP Link plugs too. Would nearly order tonight only I'm looking at some Philips Hue stuff too and it's not back in stock yet.

How to these two compare? Here and here.

Might follow Graham_B18C's lead above.

As far as I am aware, the remotes should work with any box as long as they are connectable via a USB connection. I've never had any issues swapping boxes with my remotes anyway.

Those MXIII boxes are a nightmare, pretty sure I had the same one as you and it was nothing but hassle. It didn't last long very long at all, problems started appearing very soon after purchase and it was quickly dumped for a Minix.

I don't know too much about those last two boxes you linked, but I would imagine that the M9S is the new version of the M8S? If so, I'd avoid it like the plague because, judging by reports I've seen on various forums, they were (are?) one of the most troublesome boxes on the market - lot of clones floating around and a lot of them had issues with the motherboard and power supply (leading to some being fried as soon as they were plugged in).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Would any one recommend the Amazon Fire T.v?

Yep, I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Lots of posts since so I'll say again any newbies confused I'm happy answer any questions or give advice just PM me as I realise it's very confusing making sense of all the stuff ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Lots of posts since so I'll say again any newbies confused I'm happy answer any questions or give advice just PM me as I realise it's very confusing making sense of all the stuff ðŸ‘

Good man.. Might be an idea to start a new thread.
    Android boxes 2017, with the first post by yourself setting out what's available and the pros and cons, and the rest of us can chip in with our experiences..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

This ain't the place to talk about getting the best out of these boxes.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »

unfortunately not but its understandable why so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Raoul

Where is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Where is?

Elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

That's a known known.
    It is a good place to talk about getting the best box though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Invincible

The Xiaomi 4k mi box looks great, running Android 6.0, HDR capable,with voice controlled Bluetooth remote, $70 on Gbuying

Where is?

I'd say reddit or Facebook.

After some research and speaking to people in the know, I have come to the conclusion that the Zgemma is the best box to get. Should i be thinking otherwise? and why?

After some research and speaking to people in the know, I have come to the conclusion that the Zgemma is the best box to get. Should i be thinking otherwise? and why?

i know little or nothing about the brand but i think its probably the best bet at the moment for your needs, of course you ll have others argue otherwise. best of luck with it

• Advertisement

We can't talk about that stuff here.
    Pm me if you like.

Advertisement