Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    We can't talk about that stuff here.
    Pm me if you like.

So what can we talk about? The weather is supposed to get pretty cold this week:D. Pm on the way, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

So what can we talk about? The weather is supposed to get pretty cold this week:D. Pm on the way, thanks :)

Zgemma is an Enigma 2 box .Better go to foreign satellite thread and there is a huge thread about E2 boxes there.

BTW I wouldn't advise buying a Zgemma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Good man.. Might be an idea to start a new thread.
    Android boxes 2017, with the first post by yourself setting out what's available and the pros and cons, and the rest of us can chip in with our experiences..

I had thought to alright but was wondering if the mods would just merge it into this one

Im only on my Oneplus so wouldn't be able make a good post now but might dig out the laptop if needed.

I'd be thinking use your title and the first page can be listing my and others recommended devices and budget and can PM the mods to edit the first page now and again with updated stuff

So a rough draft of what I was thinking

Budget <€50

Some Chinese yoke, I need others help for this one I don't know the cheap ones

Would the Amazon fire stick be an option?

<€120

Minix obviously, the current one with android 5 but the new one would be listed to replace it when listed on Amazon say

<€200

I'm just gonna say I think the nVidia TV is what you'd go for here, their is a new one coming I think tho

Then a large mod note in hold, no discussing illegal streaming via Kodi, or illegal app 1 and illegal app 2, I dunno maybe if the apps we know are listed once in a mod warning it might be better as they come up now and again given they are not expressly banned

I just wonder would it be ok to maybe list a few of us thay volunteer to be PM'd for say

"Any in depth advice re Kodi please PM Jurgen, UsedtoWait, etc" Or would that still be against the rules

I would say use Amazon links where possible, especially sold or fulfilled by Amazon to help anyone that has issues as Amazon would obviously be great helping people with any issues compared to other sites for those not that techie.

What Id like to do is maybe have a good first post built in here before posting the thread and a solid page for newbies that way we can just say look at page 1 in the <€120 section that way they see the best device and just click the link and buy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Consider what kind of content you want to consume... TV, Youtube, Spotify, Deezer, Kodi for streaming content you own, games, internet browser etc... Then you can decide what kind of interface you want... android/android TV... Then how much you want to spend and how you are going to connect it...

The Nvidia Shield TV is popular... high end box with Android TV interface; plays games to a high standard & interfaces very well with devices such as the Amazon Echo & Google Home... It is also quite expensive in comparison to other boxes

Then there are Android OS boxes that vary in price, power & software editions... these are a bit more complex, but theres plenty of good suggestions on here for good models... Minx being one popular brand.

There are also lots of other options like Amazon Fire Stick, Xbox, Playstation, Windows....

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

@ Copper_pipe you need to clear out your messages as it seems to be full, I am unable to PM you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I had thought to alright but was wondering if the mods would just merge it into this one
    Not saying this about your post but just talking in general here. A lot of times people think that mods read ever single post and in the middle of a long thread someone will ask a mod a question or make a suggestion expecting a mod to respond. Unfortunately it doesnt work that way at all. Unless a mod is actively engaged in the discussion then they will not see what has been posted but tend to rely on others to report comments / posts that would breach the forum charter and / or Boards.ie Terms of Use.

Personally I think that a "2017 thread" would be a great idea but first of all it would have to get approval from the forum mods together with imposed limitations on what can and cannot be discussed. Up to now the thread has been fairly well kept in check by the regular contributors here by reminding others of the dangers associated with asking certain types of questions or posting certain comments.

What I would suggest is that one or maybe a couple of you PM the 2 forum mods to discuss the possibility of anew thread that would provide details of the ever changing list of boxes that are coming on the market.

They wont bite so do get in touch with them and clarify the position. If you're lucky they might even agree to a stickied thread :)

Ok cool I will when I get a chance thanks :)

Actually I just PM'd Davy there with my questions, won't be starting a new thread until we have our opening post made and lads are happy with it first anyway

Especially interested to see if we can have a "Any in depth Kodi questions please PM x y or z"

Think it might still be dodgy so have asked in my PM

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Or a thread where you can post your own experience with a box including price and where to buy, no chat allowed?
    All within the rules of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Guys anyone recently got a box with 3GB RAM (possibly with S912).

For me it's bit of a overkill but one of my friend is looking for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

After some research and speaking to people in the know, I have come to the conclusion that the Zgemma is the best box to get. Should i be thinking otherwise? and why?

Well, I'd counter that by saying that you clearly didn't do your research properly and that the people you spoke to know nothing because (a) that box is not an android box (b) isn't capabale of doing a fraction of the things a good android box can and (c) isn't a patch on an android box in general.

It's not a bad idea, but ultimately doomed to fail I reckon... As we've repeatedly seen, people can't be bothered to read even the last few posts on this thread so the idea that they will bother on a new thread doesn't make any sense. There's a lot of useful information in this thread, a lot of which is still relevant. Change/modify the OP to make the changes if you want, but I don't see the need for a new thread to be honest.

As has been mentioned before, these boxes require some time and effort so you could probably take it as general rule of thumb that the people who are too lazy to read a few posts or bother to learn about what they are buying are going to be the exact same people who will have problems with the box - which will be the boxes fault of course, not theirs. That's just my own thoughts anyway, others may have different opinions.... :cool:

I had to laugh at you mentioning a ban on talking about illegal content, before going on to list a number of sources where you can find it... :D :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

@ Copper_pipe you need to clear out your messages as it seems to be full, I am unable to PM you.

Try now

If you don't list apps that aren't to be talked about such as what's on them they will come up such as can you get xyz on Showbox

It's far for simple to list them and then say there is to be no discussing these apps or there content,otherwise it will pop up somewhere

If you don't list apps that aren't to be talked about such as what's on them they will come up such as can you get xyz on S******.

It's far for simple to list them and then say there is to be no discussing these apps or there content,otherwise it will pop up somewhere

Honestly, by listing the likes of the one you mentioned, you're probably more likely to get a ban or get the thread closed - that's what happened before. :( I'm only saying it to you as a heads up as I don't want to see either outcome happen again. ;)

BandMember wrote: »
    It's not a bad idea, but ultimately doomed to fail I reckon... As we've repeatedly seen, people can't be bothered to read even the last few posts on this thread so the idea that they will bother on a new thread doesn't make any sense. There's a lot of useful information in this thread, a lot of which is still relevant. Change/modify the OP to make the changes if you want, but I don't see the need for a new thread to be honest.

As has been mentioned before, these boxes require some time and effort so you could probably take it as general rule of thumb that the people who are too lazy to read a few posts or bother to learn about what they are buying are going to be the exact same people who will have problems with the box - which will be the boxes fault of course, not theirs. That's just my own thoughts anyway, others may have different opinions.... :cool:

That's fine, I understand if you get annoyed at repeating yourself, just ingore their posts.

I've already had a few PMs from lads asking should I get x or y box I'm confused between all the specs listed I'm not that techie and don't want to ask on thread as lads will be sniping.

I'm seen it on other forums, newbies who aren't techie get confused but are afraid to post.

I have no problem answering a question thats asked for the millionth time, in fact before I got into it I think I asked which box under an old account and was given advice and then learned from there, I most assuredly am not lazy just because I didn't read back pages and am confident plenty of newbies just need a gentle push like I did.

As I said if lads think people are lazy for not reading back 15 pages on an online forum no bother, I get ya completely, just ignore em.

Myself and a few others have said we'll chip in as we see it different.

Let's leave it at that.

Honestly, by listing the likes of the one you mentioned, you're probably more likely to get a ban or get the thread closed - that's what happened before. :( I'm only saying it to you as a heads up as I don't want to see either outcome happen again. ;)

Ya I have asked the forum mod that in a PM on what he thinks anyway so I'll know for sure how he wants to progress :)

Make a Facebook group sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

yabadabado wrote: »
    Zgemma is an Enigma 2 box .Better go to foreign satellite thread and there is a huge thread about E2 boxes there.

BTW I wouldn't advise buying a Zgemma.
    from what research i have done you are correct, a forty foot pole is as near as i would use to touch one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Or join a pre-existing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Sure if nothing else it'll give you a week off of having to tell people to read back a few pages :pac:

• Advertisement

Tid be grand alright but I def keep boards and RL separate anyway don't know about others here

inforfun wrote: »
    Or a thread where you can post your own experience with a box including price and where to buy, no chat allowed?

Could work nicely too :)

As an aside ****ing Facebook and messenger apps draining the whole outta my battery :(

inforfun wrote: »

That could work well .
    No chat and if you want to ask a question then via PM.

Up to the recipient if they answer or not.

Maybe leave a message at end of reviews to say if ur willing to be contacted via PM .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

just to follow on with the thread direction, I was on the look out for a new android box. Wasnt sure what way to go, so ended up going for the Nexbox A95X. Read back hundreds of posts and pretty much any request for advice on a new box was told to read back. Any advice on what were the spec differences between one box and another were told it was already done and to read back. I read and read, and couldnt find any definitive advice on either count, so ended up looking elsewhere and combining some of the info from here with other stuff.

I get people are frustrated with the same questions over and over, but considering the advancement of these units, the life cycle on them can be quite short. Not everyone is as tech minded as the experts on here. An android box this month may not be as good as one available next month. I came on looking for advice and wouldnt post seeking it as it wasnt going to come. There is some good info on here, but it is far from easy to find sifting through vast amounts of posts that are either out of date or just not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Just to add to your thoughts on new threads. I personally think it'd be great to have a new thread with current info in the OP. It's what most people will read if they sumble upon it from google and the likes and I reckon it'll really cut down the amount of people just signing up to ask "Which android box should I buy?". But the idea of a thread with no chat might not be so great, I wouldn't have put up my expierence with my box if it was opening me up to god knows how many PMs about it. I'd gladly answer a few but I wouldn't fancy a few every day. It might just limit the amound of people willing to share their expierences about their box.

Kudos to the lads willing to sign up to receive PMs from people. I wouldn't even do that in my forum :D:pac:

A new thread with post one as a FAQ and that should be mentioned in thread title.

Put in the main info there and at least it's a starting point for people.
    Info will become outdated over time but a lot of the stuff will be relevant for the foreseeable future.After a few months #1 could get an overhaul and be updated if any major developments have happened.

I was involved with a few threads here that have huge amount of info and using post 1 as FAQ seemed to cut back on repetition somewhat.

A link to a google doc that could be edited every month or so?

bruschi wrote: »
    just to follow on with the thread direction, I was on the look out for a new android box. Wasnt sure what way to go, so ended up going for the Nexbox A95X. Read back hundreds of posts and pretty much any request for advice on a new box was told to read back. Any advice on what were the spec differences between one box and another were told it was already done and to read back. I read and read, and couldnt find any definitive advice on either count, so ended up looking elsewhere and combining some of the info from here with other stuff.

I get people are frustrated with the same questions over and over, but considering the advancement of these units, the life cycle on them can be quite short. Not everyone is as tech minded as the experts on here. An android box this month may not be as good as one available next month. I came on looking for advice and wouldnt post seeking it as it wasnt going to come. There is some good info on here, but it is far from easy to find sifting through vast amounts of posts that are either out of date or just not helpful.

I've no wish to argue you but just to comment on two things you mentioned. The Nexbox was mentioned quite a few times on this thread, some posters gave it very positive reviews. It seems to have a few users on here. I don't have one myself or have any experience of that particular box, so I can't comment on whether it is good or bad.

The other thing you mentioned is tech knowledge and the lifecycle of the boxes. Everyone here started off with the same blank slate about the boxes, the very kind people who shared their knowledge with us have done so because they did their research (either here or elsewhere) and I for one am very grateful that they have as I've learned a huge amount from their posts and went off elsewhere to read up on stuff that sounded interesting. I would disagree with your statement that the boxes have a short life cycle and the ones mentioned at the start are out of date now. If you buy a proper box (which is going to be on the high end of the scale), it will last you years. If you skimp out and go cheap, you'll be buying again before you know it. It has been repeatedly pointed out that you get what you pay for and that most of the cheaper boxes you can get are rubbish yet the most asked question on the thread has been "tell me where I can buy a box for €50", yet most don't know what they are actually buying.

Anyway, as I say, I'm not arguing with you or anyone else on this thread - I like it here far too much to do that. I'm merely responding to your post with some observations. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

^ I think it might be true that you buy cheap, buy twice, but most of us have a couple of TVs, and, for me at least, buying a relatively cheap starter box was the beginning of learning how to work them, deciding that they are the future, and upgrading after some further research.

My original box is now hooked up to the bedroom TV, running a custom ROM smooth as a dream, and my main TV is now hooked up to an Intel NUC, 8gb ram, and a whole nuther learning curve as to the capabilities I'll be able to exploit.

What I'm trying to say is, there's no one best way, and what we really should try to do on this, or the new thread if that's the way we go, is welcome new converts to the fold and share what we've learned.

I appreciate the info you yourself have shared BM, and understand your frustration with repeated questions by people who seem to want to be spoon feed.
    However, on a thread this size, it can be a bit overwhelming.

My vote is for a 2017 thread, with a regularly revised OP for the FAQ, which will allow the rest of us to share our experiences with the latest models / chipsets etc..

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote: »
    ^ I think it might be true that you buy cheap, buy twice, but most of us have a couple of TVs, and, for me at least, buying a relatively cheap starter box was the beginning of learning how to work them, deciding that they are the future, and upgrading after some further research.

You can put "it" on your laptop and use that as your guide to figuring out how things work and trying new things on it. It's also easier to fix if you make any mistakes or screw things up. That's how most people do it, including myself. Just a money saving tip for you.... ;)

Advertisement