Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Would it support a 500GB USB HDD?

From the FAQ on the Nexbox A95x Android 6.0 forum

j7xkcg.jpg

http://www.tvboxforum.com/showthread.php?tid=889

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Thanks, does it come with anything preloaded on it? Like Kodi etc?

Sorry last question, is the remote any use at all?

Thanks again

Not sure about the hard drive, but it has a USB connection so I don't see why not.

Remote is fine, it comes with a separate kodi button, so that answers the other question too. Comes with a few apps on it. Remote also has 5 TV buttons that can be programed to your TV, so makes it handy to only need the one remote to switch on TV and control Android box. I generally use kore on my phone anyway to work kodi.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Thanks, does it come with anything preloaded on it? Like Kodi etc?

Sorry last question, is the remote any use at all?

Thanks again

I have my 2tb WD ext HD running on both the Beelink and Nexbox without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

at this point in time, I wouldn't buy anything other than these few options:
    self build/tinkerers box: Odroid C3 or alternatively the RPi3 (running libreelec)
    budget: Fire TV stick
    mid range with built in digital tuner: Wetek play2
    mid range: Xiaomi Mi Box 3
    High End: nVidia Shield TV

If you look at the KODI v17 Krypton development, they're dropping support for anything stuck running v4.4 (kit-Kat) or older, so your Minix amd MX boxes are pretty much all out of the window, plus they're dropping support for custom Amlogic code which will kill off a lot of the crappier boxes too.

I tried the MX boxes the MXIII and the GT1 and they were both pretty poor, I also tried Wetek hubs which were actually decent enough considering they were only 1gig boxes, but now if anyone wants one, it's the MiBox3 all the way, but only because I can get them for less than 75 euros delivered in bulk, but if I was still in Ireland, I'd probably be getting Fire TV sticks instead, they're just hard to come by (cheaply) downunder. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

BandMember wrote: »
    That should not be happening!! :(

Thought so. What's the likely cause? Haven't done much about <redacted> yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

When Kodi does move on, will the boxes running Android 4.4 still work? Like as long as we don't update kodi surely the old version will carry on working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

When Kodi does move on, will the boxes running Android 4.4 still work? Like as long as we don't update kodi surely the old version will carry on working?

The boxes running Android 4.4 that can't updated will become obsolete as they won't be compatible with any version of Kodi from v17 onwards. Now, you're fine for the moment as you will still be able to use v16.1 for a while yet, but, just like every other version of Kodi, you will have to upgrade eventually because the add ons won't be compatible with the older versions anymore. When you have to take this step (up to v17), then you will need to get a new box. Don't worry though, by the time that happens, you'll have got more than your moneys worth from it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Or you could just use SPMC which is Kodi specifically for android .......I'd sooner use that than v17, doesn't impress me at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

vibe666 wrote: »
    at this point in time, I wouldn't buy anything other than these few options:
    self build/tinkerers box: Odroid C3 or alternatively the RPi3 (running libreelec)
    budget: Fire TV stick
    mid range with built in digital tuner: Wetek play2
    mid range: Xiaomi Mi Box 3
    High End: nVidia Shield TV

If you look at the KODI v17 Krypton development, they're dropping support for anything stuck running v4.4 (kit-Kat) or older, so your Minix amd MX boxes are pretty much all out of the window, plus they're dropping support for custom Amlogic code which will kill off a lot of the crappier boxes too.

I tried the MX boxes the MXIII and the GT1 and they were both pretty poor, I also tried Wetek hubs which were actually decent enough considering they were only 1gig boxes, but now if anyone wants one, it's the MiBox3 all the way, but only because I can get them for less than 75 euros delivered in bulk, but if I was still in Ireland, I'd probably be getting Fire TV sticks instead, they're just hard to come by (cheaply) downunder. :)

Anyone know somewhere to get the mi box delivered to ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

New Shield TV shipped today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Anyone know somewhere to get the mi box delivered to ireland?

Sappy404 went via Geekbuying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Bluefoam wrote: »

Never realised the remote came with it. See how much it costs for the original? :(

Let us know how you get on with it when you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nedd

Where did you order yours? Have mine on pre-order with Amazon but no sign of shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

nedd wrote: »
    Where did you order yours? Have mine on pre-order with Amazon but no sign of shipping.

Amazon too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hey, anyone use the Roku streaming stick? I have always used the Fire Stick but I seen this is getting good reviews.

It will just be used to run Kodi.....

I used to use other android stick but always found the wifi performance poor so that is why I use the Fire Stick....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Hey, anyone use the Roku streaming stick? I have always used the Fire Stick but I seen this is getting good reviews.

It will just be used to run Kodi.....

I used to use other android stick but always found the wifi performance poor so that is why I use the Fire Stick....

AFAIK you cant download Kodi on a Roku, only mirror to it

NATLOR wrote: »
    AFAIK you cant download Kodi on a Roku, only mirror to it

Yep, I think you are right there - Kodi is not compatible with a Roku device (as far as I know).

Yep, I think you are right there - Kodi is not compatible with a Roku device (as far as I know).

Very interesting, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Bought an Android box - screen reception/resolution not great when watching TV channels - anything I can do??? Everyone keeps raving about it but not quite worked for me.

I have super broadband so not too sure what the problem. Based in Cork - if anyone knows anyone that maybe take a look send me PM!

Thanks.

Bought an Android box - screen reception/resolution not great when watching TV channels - anything I can do??? Everyone keeps raving about it but not quite worked for me.

I have super broadband so not too sure what the problem. Based in Cork - if anyone knows anyone that maybe take a look send me PM!

Thanks.

I'd imagine that's down to the source itself, especially if VOD content is fine. We can't really say much about that particular issue here. You can adjust the picture (and sound) settings on your box and telly, but I'm guessing that it's the source (especially if it is from a free source, picture is always crap on those).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I'd imagine that's down to the source itself, especially if VOD content is fine. We can't really say much about that particular issue here. You can adjust the picture (and sound) settings on your box and telly, but I'm guessing that it's the source (especially if it is from a free source, picture is always crap on those).

Can you explain that a bit more to me? I'm a bit lost :) What is VOD? Yes I am watching channels free via this box but resolution is poor yet the dogs on the street are telling me Android Boxes are the business. Paid 100 Euro for the box - not sure if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Can you explain that a bit more to me? I'm a bit lost :) What is VOD? Yes I am watching channels free via this box but resolution is poor yet the dogs on the street are telling me Android Boxes are the business. Paid 100 Euro for the box - not sure if that makes any difference.

VOD is video on demand. What you are looking to be answered will result in a ban and possible thread lock for anyone who does, look at the thread title, you're on dodgy ground here.

As has been pointed out, you're on dodgy ground here so I can't say anymore than I already have. The price of the box is completely irrelevant, the only relevant thing is the box you have and the specs of it (the same goes for your television). Anyway, nobody wants a ban so we'll have to leave that topic of conversation alone. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Drop me a PM if your unsure.

OK thinking of buying the Nexbox, about the pull the trigger.....

Working out about 55 quid, just checking before I buy any reason not too? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

OK thinking of buying the Nexbox, about the pull the trigger.....

Working out about 55 quid, just checking before I buy any reason not too? haha

Only con I know of for the Nexbox s905x is it has a problem with older Sony Bravias and older Philips TVs which hasn't been solved yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

jonski wrote: »
    Only con I know of for the Nexbox s905x is it has a problem with older Sony Bravias and older Philips TVs which hasn't been solved yet .

Is that whereby with an Old Philips tv, a random green screen kicks in and you have to switch the HDMI to another cable and switch back to fix it?
    I got over that problem by putting the box through My Oppo amp Receiver.

Someone on another internet forum said their HDMI inputs on their Philips TV was permanently damaged by the green screen issue. Luckily this has not been the case for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Price ?

jonski wrote: »
    Is that whereby with an Old Philips tv, a random green screen kicks in and you have to switch the HDMI to another cable and switch back to fix it?
    I got over that problem by putting the box through My Oppo amp Receiver.

Someone on another internet forum said their HDMI inputs on their Philips TV was permanently damaged by the green screen issue. Luckily this has not been the case for me.

I don't why, but I've seen multiple posts over the years from people saying that they have had issues connecting their boxes to Philips tv's. I have no idea why to be honest, but that particular make of television has constantly been mentioned as having problems. If anyone can throw any light on the matter, feel free to share....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭AH92

New shield being shipped today. Excited to get it and should be here in a few days hoping all goes well.

Advertisement