Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

New Shield has arrived... Setup is taking hours... There's a firmware update when you turn it on & it's been 1 hour to get 13% downloaded... I'm sure it's because the servers are under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Folks ,just got a Neo X8-H from a mate.Nothing has been done with it since it was bought,2+ years ago.

What would ye recommend re:updates etc.
    Android 4.4.2 on it original firmware etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

yabadabado wrote: »
    Folks ,just got a Neo X8-H from a mate.Nothing has been done with it since it was bought,2+ years ago.

Just go into the settings and install all the OTA firmware updates, that will take you a while if there's two years of updates to be done. After that, I would uninstall any apps or any version of K*** that's on it and install a fresh copy of it (I never use apps or install any as I have read that they can contain viruses, pop up ads, malware etc. and you don't need them anyway as you can find everything you need in the main program for these boxes). Everything should be working sweet for you then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

BandMember wrote: »
    Agreed. I'd do the same, sounds like it's more hassle than it's worth...

Cheers folks. It's the only TV so am sending it back. Looks like the problem has been ongoing for the last good few months with no sign of an update to fix it yet. Oh well! Now to search for an equivalent box...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just checking in terms of spec, are most people running 2GB cache on there boxes?

Or will 1GB cache do the job when running android?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Full wipe and FW update

Choose the FW update method "Full"

http://www.minixforum.com/forums/official-firmware-releases.96/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just checking in terms of spec, are most people running 2GB cache on there boxes?

Go with a 2GB box if you can, it gives a more fluid operation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

I would avoid any box with only 1GB cache or it'll break your heart in the long run with problems. Doesn't matter whether it's a cheap or expensive box, don't buy it!

Decided on the following, will do the job to see if I will move back onto Android instead of Windows. So if I like I can buy decent spec box.

Get 2GB of cache and 8GB HDD which is grand as I will just have Kodi running on base box. Also I see with v6 of Android you can put in SD card and it allows you to install apps

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IVXXN0Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30CFQ01ALBOOK

Will review once I get up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Invincible

@ Baxtardo

The X96 box by Vigica has received favourable reviews, available on Amazon also.

Quote, isn't working atm.

• Advertisement

Anyone using the new Shield with a Harmony Hub? I have it all set up, the controller works great, I now have only one to replace 4. However, it works via bluetooth... so when you ask Echo to 'turn on the Android Box', she can't get the Shield to turn on. She can turn everything off, just not on... When I get home this evening, I will try to edit the activity so that the Android Box never turns off... it doesn't consume much energy, so shouldn't be a problem & it should be primed to come on with the voice command.

Funny thing is, that with one press of the button on the remote, all turns on perfectly... Anyone else who has it working, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Anyone using the new Shield with a Harmony Hub? I have it all set up, the controller works great, I now have only one to replace 4. However, it works via bluetooth... so when you ask Echo to 'turn on the Android Box', she can't get the Shield to turn on. She can turn everything off, just not on... When I get home this evening, I will try to edit the activity so that the Android Box never turns off... it doesn't consume much energy, so shouldn't be a problem & it should be primed to come on with the voice command.

Funny thing is, that with one press of the button on the remote, all turns on perfectly... Anyone else who has it working, please let me know.

If the above isn't the definition of a first world problem I don't know what is! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

If the above isn't the definition of a first world problem I don't know what is! :D

Welcome to the "internet of things" era.

Check out the Home automation and internet of things forum. It's an addiction. My box tells my living room lights to dim when I play a movie. :phttp://touch.boards.ie/forum/1777

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

It's only 1GB ram, very expensive for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

What would be the best one to buy with a budget of €100?

Thanks

Thanks
    XIAOMI 4k Mi box,if I was upgrading from the Tronsmart.

Thanks
    Minix U1 is €96 on Gearbest.

What the **** kind of stupid response is that... Why are you hanging out in the technology section of boards if you think you are above first world problems... lol, yawn. Do you think people are on here solving world hunger...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Invincible wrote: »
    XIAOMI 4k Mi box,if I was upgrading from the Tronsmart.

Are you happy with the Mi Box? I have ordered one from Geek Buying as an upgrade from the Minix X8.

john4321 wrote: »
    Are you happy with the Mi Box? I have ordered one from Geek Buying as an upgrade from the Minix X8.

No, I haven't one yet, that's what I'll go for. Have a Tronsmart MXIII 2GB/16GB, running smoothly last year and a half.

No, I haven't one yet, that's what I'll go for. Have a Tronsmart MXIII 2GB/16GB, running smoothly last year and a half.

Sorry read your post wrong. Reason I'm upgrading is the minix won't ever be upgraded from android 4.2 so no krypt0n. Will give an update when I receive it.

john4321 wrote: »
    Sorry read your post wrong. Reason I'm upgrading is the minix won't ever be upgraded from android 4.2 so no krypt0n. Will give an update when I receive it.

U1 looks to be a a really good box,I haven't used one myself but all reviews seem positive.
    I have the X-8 as well and think I'll upgrade soon as well .

U1 looks to be a a really good box,I haven't used one myself but all reviews seem positive.
    I have the X-8 as well and think I'll upgrade soon as well .

What do you think the advantages are over the mi box if any? Personally I prefer the android tv interface as I also have a shield tv as my main box. Also can't see the U1 being upgraded to 6.0 or 7.0 based on the X8 support.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Thats what I have.
    Super box.
    I must look into the one you pointed to as I think it is time to upgrade and stay future proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Decided on the following, will do the job to see if I will move back onto Android instead of Windows. So if I like I can buy decent spec box.

Get 2GB of cache and 8GB HDD which is grand as I will just have Kodi running on base box. Also I see with v6 of Android you can put in SD card and it allows you to install apps

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IVXXN0Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30CFQ01ALBOOK

Will review once I get up and running

Snap. Ordered mine the same day and all, few hours before you. Will do for the other room until the updated neo comes out for the main room. Added the Rii keyboard as well for a tenor. Still hasn't shipped mind. Likewise I'll stick up a review whenever it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

ANyone have thoughts on this box

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I2T7USK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ACDZAGL2I89L8

looking for a box around the 60euro or cheaper

Webbs wrote: »
    ANyone have thoughts on this box

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I2T7USK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ACDZAGL2I89L8

looking for a box around the 60euro or cheaper

I find on AMazon if you look at the negative comments you always get a good idea

There is no software website for firmware downloads. I have an issue with an older tv where the hdmi output is expecting RGB not YCbCr. The MXR boxes look like they have fixed firmware. I have no idea where to raise a support case and I can't find any support on the internet at all.

That is first comment that comes up, if not able to get firmware etc I would be concerned.

• Advertisement

Snap. Ordered mine the same day and all, few hours before you. Will do for the other room until the updated neo comes out for the main room. Added the Rii keyboard as well for a tenor. Still hasn't shipped mind. Likewise I'll stick up a review whenever it arrives.

Mine shipped that night, hope it will arrive today. If so will set up tonight and let you know

I do set up from start as I pick my skin and then set up my own menu system so it is easier to use. I did have Kodi set up for Windows but deleted all my android versions so looks like a couple of hours doing some tweaking :P

Advertisement