Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Lads, dont rule out the Trongle 2gb/16gb on Amazon. A great little box & very fast. Pick them up regularly for circa £40 with a speedy turnaround and no worries about getting hit with the customs stick on Asian orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

anyone recommend a good/cheapish keyboard and air mouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

anyone recommend a good/cheapish keyboard and air mouse?

I'm considering a Logitech k380 or K400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Bluefoam wrote: »

I have k400, seems to be best in market to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Bluefoam wrote: »

Not exactly very small though. Before I got the Android box I had a Mac mini connected to the TV and used a wireless Mac keyboard and trackpad and it was a PITA.

When i got my remote I based it on this review:

http://androidpcreview.com/best-air-mouse/2920/

I got the Minix A2 lite and it's a grand job. Airmouse is spot on and the keyboard is a really good size imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    There is no software website for firmware downloads. The MXR boxes look like they have fixed firmware. I have no idea where to raise a support case and I can't find any support on the internet at all.

That is first comment that comes up, if not able to get firmware etc I would be concerned.

Agreed. Never go near a box with no firmware updates or where they are impossible to do as you are not buying a future proof box and even the smallest change to "things" you use it for, will render the box completely useless.
    I got the Minix A2 lite and it's a grand job. Airmouse is spot on and the keyboard is a really good size imo

I could never take to the A2 to be honest, didn't like it at all. Got a similar one to it but it's far easier to control and use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

So my shield is up and running... Can anyone recommend a good game for a non gamer, to get me hooked on this thing...

I used to like the Tony hawk games...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Invincible wrote: »
    XIAOMI 4k Mi box,if I was upgrading from the Tronsmart.

Tred to message you,
    Your message box is full.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

As it comes to mouse/keyboard for those things:

Bought this one for the Nexbox
    8a02a78c2327ca9991697987948d4ec5.png

And have this for the Beelink:

9ac0aec86a94a23fdcae2efe32565c00.png

Like them both but a combination of the 2 would be best (for me)
    Not a fan of touchpads in general but the backlight and the "bigger" keyboard of the Rii are a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Invincible

vectra wrote: »
    XIAOMI 4k Mi box,if I was upgrading from the Tronsmart.

Tred to message you,
    Your message box is full.
    Thanks

I saw the notification mail, have cleared space since.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Invincible

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

Hi guys,

Advised it would be better to ask this question in here,

Does anyone know if there is an android box that will run the official eir sport app? - Only interested in legal means and want to run this as I'm getting tired of looking at a laptop connected to a TV. I'm stuck in a Virgin Media would just get it from them if I could. I've heard it works on a MINIX u1, can anyone confirm that they have got it to work on any sort of android box?

Don't want to buy a box that doesn't work, and have to wait a month to remove it if doesn't work.

Thanks

mike2084 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Advised it would be better to ask this question in here,

Does anyone know if there is an android box that will run the official eir sport app? - Only interested in legal means and want to run this as I'm getting tired of looking at a laptop connected to a TV. I'm stuck in a Virgin Media would just get it from them if I could. I've heard it works on a MINIX u1, can anyone confirm that they have got it to work on any sort of android box?

Don't want to buy a box that doesn't work, and have to wait a month to remove it if doesn't work.

Thanks

Hi Mike,

The Minix Neo U1 is up there with the Shield as the best box on the market at the moment. However, it is going to be replaced soon with the U9 - if you want to wait for the newer model? Although, the U1 is going a bit cheaper at the moment because of this (i.e. it's going to be replaced). I'd definitely recommend a Minix, but if that's going to be the only thing you use it for, others might suggest a cheaper box...

As regards the BT app, I tried it myself and the quality is rubbish! Very poor SD quality streams, you can't get HD with it. I asked. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

BandMember wrote: »
    Hi Mike,

The Minix Neo U1 is up there with the Shield as the best box on the market at the moment. However, it is going to be replaced soon with the U9 - if you want to wait for the newer model? Although, the U1 is going a bit cheaper at the moment because of this (i.e. it's going to be replaced). I'd definitely recommend a Minix, but if that's going to be the only thing you use it for, others might suggest a cheaper box...

As regards the BT app, I tried it myself and the quality is rubbish! Very poor SD quality streams, you can't get HD with it. I asked. :(

I doubt very much that the U1 will be replaced by the U9, in fact I would be pretty certain that both boxes will be available in parallel, same as the x8h and X8H+ plus were/are. The former had the s805 SOC and the latter had the s812, so they provided for 2 price points for Minix.

Also I wouldn't be sure that the U9 will be available all that soon, from what I hear Minix have had a box ready to go as the U9 for some time now, but the Amlogic 912 SOC has proven pretty buggy, and Minix aren't happy to release it as is, unlike other OEM's who pretty much rushed out boxes out as soon as SOC's were shipped, and are dealing with the fall out now.

Thanks for that Herald, great post!

The word that I had heard was that the U9 was ready and was going to be released soon, hadn't heard what you said at all to be honest.

However, that is why I would always recommend a Minix as they won't release a box onto the market until it is tried, trusted and proven to be ready. They might cost more, but they certainly last a lot longer and perform great! :)

BandMember wrote: »
    Thanks for that Herald, great post!

The word that I had heard was that the U9 was ready and was going to be released soon, hadn't heard what you said at all to be honest.

However, that is why I would always recommend a Minix as they won't release a box onto the market until it is tried, trusted and proven to be ready. They might cost more, but they certainly last a lot longer and perform great! :)

Just a quick point, Minix did release the X8-H and it was buggy as hell for about 12 month. I had it from release. The OTA updates did not work and the manual updates required a reset of the box.

Some of the threads still up on forum: http://www.minixforum.com/threads/ota-updates.363/

They got a bit snotty on there forums as well,

Once they fixed the X8-H box it was great I will admit

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I saw the notification mail, have cleared space since.
    Thanks.

Full again.
    Popular member :D

Just a quick point, Minix did release the X8-H and it was buggy as hell for about 12 month. I had it from release. The OTA updates did not work and the manual updates required a reset of the box.

Some of the threads still up on forum: http://www.minixforum.com/threads/ota-updates.363/

They got a bit snotty on there forums as well,

Once they fixed the X8-H box it was great I will admit

I've a Minix X-8H myself for a few years now, but never encountered any of those issues to be honest - but I think it was out a couple of months before I bought it.... Perhaps they learned their lesson from that launch and are holding off on the launch of the U9 so as not to make the same mistake again? You're right on your last statement though, it is a great piece of kit alright! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I see a lot of advice to wait for the new Minix box but I'd suggest that people should buy the U1. It's an excellent product and all issues have been ironed out. It'll work perfectly from day one.

There's no guarantee that the new one won't have teething problems apart altogether from the fact that there's no solid release date yet.

I see a lot of advice to wait for the new Minix box but I'd suggest that people should buy the U1. It's an excellent product and all issues have been ironed out. It'll work perfectly from day one.

There's no guarantee that the new one won't have teething problems apart altogether from the fact that there's no solid release date yet.

Where is best place to buy the U1? A friend was looking for one so might recommend it...still wiating for my box to be delivered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Where is best place to buy the U1? A friend was looking for one so might recommend it...still wiating for my box to be delivered

I bought mine on Amazon (UK) a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'll be waiting for the U9 was gonna get the U1 but am in no major panic to upgrade so will hold off.

U1 was €96 on Gearbest,that's the best price I've seen for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Folks,

I've a £25 amazon voucher burning a hole. Happy to go to about stg£60. What boxes should I be looking at?
    Should I just at the few quid extra for the Fire TV?

Any help is appreciated as there are a million different options and I'm fallen out of the loop in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

I am looking for sound advice on the best and most comprehensive(not the most expensive)legal android tv box to start of with, as I am fairly new to this technology. I understand the basics, but I don't want to buy a sledgehammer to crack an egg! I'm looking for an air mouse, a fairly straight forward setup procedure, sports movies and the usual Irish/UK tv channels system.
    Advice would be appreciated on ease of use, price and functionality, ( I'll have to teach the Mrs. and my Dad to use it).

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,455 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    I am looking for sound advice on the best and most comprehensive(not the most expensive)legal android tv box to start of with, as I am fairly new to this technology. I understand the basics, but I don't want to buy a sledgehammer to crack an egg! I'm looking for an air mouse, a fairly straight forward setup procedure, sports movies and the usual Irish/UK tv channels system.
    Advice would be appreciated on ease of use, price and functionality, ( I'll have to teach the Mrs. and my Dad to use it).

Thanks in advance.

pay very close attention to the title of the thread! best of luck, great info on this thread for your needs

theteal wrote: »
    Folks,

I've a £25 amazon voucher burning a hole. Happy to go to about stg£60. What boxes should I be looking at?
    Should I just at the few quid extra for the Fire TV?

Any help is appreciated as there are a million different options and I'm fallen out of the loop in the last few years

I bought the following https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IVXXN0Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Due to arrive today so will be posting review then as soon as I get it booted

Fire TV is good, I had one....I already have 2 x Firestick but it depends on what you are using it for? Kodi?

I bought the following https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IVXXN0Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Due to arrive today so will be posting review then as soon as I get it booted

Fire TV is good, I had one....I already have 2 x Firestick but it depends on what you are using it for? Kodi?

Kodi and stuff. I was considering the Nexbox, thanks. Will keep an eye out for your thoughts.
    I've had a look back through the thread and have more or less been convinced to go for the Minix U1.
    I've set a camel alert for when the price comes down a bit.

theteal wrote: »
    Kodi and stuff. I was considering the Nexbox, thanks. Will keep an eye out for your thoughts.
    I've had a look back through the thread and have more or less been convinced to go for the Minix U1.
    I've set a camel alert for when the price comes down a bit.

Doubt it will come down, what had you before?

Doubt it will come down, what had you before?

Ah the price of the U1 has fluctuated quite a bit since October, the one I'm looking at has actually dropped a little since last week.

Not had a lot before, a bit of playing around with kodi on windows and previously xmbc on the first gen raspberry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭renov8

Baxtardo wrote: »
    Cheers folks. It's the only TV so am sending it back. Looks like the problem has been ongoing for the last good few months with no sign of an update to fix it yet. Oh well! Now to search for an equivalent box...

I've the same problem. Extremely frustrating that the manufacturers couldn't solve the problem. A few people giving out to them on their forum. Their latest post was asking for someone to sell them one of their old Sony/Philips TVs so that they could test it for themselves!

I found the box mostly worked well other than the green screen issue. Got mine on amazon and going to return it as well. Did you find a good alternative yet, Baxtardo?

Advertisement