Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I have been reading the last few pages, but I'm still confused on which box to buy.  This will not be for games.

What is the best box to buy atm
    What minimum spec should I get
    Should I get android 6.0, or will 5.1 suffice
    I need ethernet as my WiFi is not always stable.
    My budget is circa €80, I can go higher if necessary.
    You are right to use Ethernet, better for streaming
    Check before buying the Ethernet port will run at 1000mbs, some cheaper ones run at 100max
    Assuming you have 240mb broadband , you should get close to that (90%) using a 1000mbs port, if using cat5e, cat6 networking cabling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Guys I'm wondering how difficult is it to update the firmware on an android box? I have an m8 quad 4 box and need to update the firmware. Been googling but have got mixed info so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

the_syco wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but look at a pair of homeplugs. If you're with Eircom, you can get a decent set from them cheap enough.

Definitely would always recommend that people using a wired connection with these boxes as the wifi can be very poor, especially any bit away from the router at all. I didn't realise that Eir did homeplugs, must check that out, but you can always pick up a set in Argos or online for around €25. Worth every cent if you can't connect direct with an ethernet cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

BandMember wrote: »
    Definitely would always recommend that people using a wired connection with these boxes as the wifi can be very poor, especially any bit away from the router at all. I didn't realise that Eir did homeplugs, must check that out, but you can always pick up a set in Argos or online for around €25. Worth every cent if you can't connect direct with an ethernet cable.

I use TP-Link, got the following one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GC3Z6I0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cost me 50 odd pound, where are they online for 25? Need to get a few for brother....thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I use TP-Link, got the following one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GC3Z6I0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cost me 50 odd pound, where are they online for 25? Need to get a few for brother....thanks

I got a set in Argos for €25 before Christmas for someone, did the job perfectly! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Invincible

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Guys I'm wondering how difficult is it to update the firmware on an android box? I have an m8 quad 4 box and need to update the firmware. Been googling but have got mixed info so far!

Have you searched on Freaktab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Sorry for all the questions.

I'm looking at this MXQ-Pro Smart Android TV Box Android 5.1. It has 1gb ram, and 8gb storage. It's only $37 and I don't plan I on using kodi so not having android doesn't bother me. I plan on streaming only, no games. My only concern is the 1gb of ram.

http://m.tomtop.com/smart-android-tv-player-box-1305/p-v1874eu.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Sorry for all the questions.

I'm looking at this MXQ-Pro Smart Android TV Box Android 5.1. It has 1gb ram, and 8gb storage. It's only $37 and I don't plan I on using kodi so not having android doesn't bother me. I plan on streaming only, no games. My only concern is the 1gb of ram.

http://m.tomtop.com/smart-android-tv-player-box-1305/p-v1874eu.html

Dont waste your money would be my advice.

Better off spending a bit of money and getting a box that isnt going to break your heart in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

B2EmZLKb.png

Folks do any of ye use this type of keyboard?Any one in particular that is recommended.
    I'm using one of the double sided remote/keyboard and think the above may be more user friendly.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Dont waste your money would be my advice.

Better off spending a bit of money and getting a box that isnt going to break your heart in the long run.

This is my first one, do if I need a new one in 6 months that OK. My budget is roughly 100, but there's so many options I assumed that would OK to start with. I might look for a 2gb ram one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This is my first one, do if I need a new one in 6 months that OK. My budget is roughly 100, but there's so many options I assumed that would OK to start with. I might look for a 2gb ram one.
    Here's a 2GB one. Why did you pick the MXQ brand? Have found the MiniX and Tronsmart to be good brands myself.

DX.com is usually about 3 weeks shipping, but maybe longer as it's around the Chinese New Year, I think?

BandMember wrote: »
    I use this one - very user friendly, works with any box and only costs a few quid.

408027.jpg

Link isn't working

the_syco wrote: »
    Here's a 2GB one. Why did you pick the MXQ brand? Have found the MiniX and Tronsmart to be good brands myself.

DX.com is usually about 3 weeks shipping, but maybe longer as it's around the Chinese New Year, I think?

I'll look into them brands. No reason, it was a recommendation on reddit. Thanks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

yabadabado wrote: »
    B2EmZLKb.png

Folks do any of ye use this type of keyboard?Any one in particular that is recommended.
    I'm using one of the double sided remote/keyboard and think the above may be more user friendly.

Got 1 of each.

I do like the slightly bigger keys and the backlight on the Rii but i am not a fan of the touchpad. Which is a not specific for this remote. I just dont like touchpads

The doublesided remote i use has a bit of a weird keyboard set up and for some reason i always turn it around and end up having it upside down for typing...
    Much prefer the gyroscope mouse of that one over the touchpad of the Rii though.

But since i have found a set up on my box that i cant discuss here... i am using neither a lot and just use the stock one.

I saw a recommendation a few pages back for the NEXBOX A95X Android TV Box. The model I'm looking is 16gb/2gb ram. It also runs on Android 6.0. It has 4.5/5 stars on Amazon Link.

I think this is the one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I saw a recommendation a few pages back for the NEXBOX A95X Android TV Box. The model I'm looking is 16gb/2gb ram. It also runs on Android 6.0. It has 4.5/5 stars on Amazon Link.

I think this is the one.

I have that one.
    When it arrived it was having an issue with hdmi. After they released an update in december, issue was gone. Works great now

Still reports though on bad picture on certain brands tv's.
    If you dont have those tv's, i can recommend this box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I think this is the one.

I bought one, the 8GB version. Using a week now, works good

Remote is handy....

The wifi is poor but everyone of these boxes have poor wifi....apart from that works well....GUI is nice addition

• Advertisement

Barr wrote: »

Very poor specs and no mention of the RAM or ROM? Wouldn't touch it. However, others might have different experience with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Ill give my 0.02 that may be of help to newbies.

Ive used and gotten for a few friends the beelink mini mxiii ii over the past 2 months. Overall ive had no complaints with any that i have gotten. Beelink in fairness to them issue updates OTA and ive had two since using the box, so theres manufacturer support available which can be rare with cheaper boxes.

I use it on wifi myself, its dual band and with a virgin router sees 70/80mbs upstairs and through some walls so im fairly impressed, no probs at all with streaming.

Its S905x, 2gb ram and 16gb rom and android 6.0, so should be future proof for the time being with kodi, plus the s905x chip has some other active development mentioned below.

Compared to some boxes online either no names or on adverts you cant go too far wrong with it for €45 delivered at gearbest - http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_446536.html

Make sure to select priority line ireland express for shipping, roughly 10 days for delivery by anpost and no vat to worry about.

Granted its not the best out there but you could do far worse for the money.

Incedently for anyone wanting to tinker im runninv librelec on mine, couple of hiccups with wifi initially but aside from that its blazing fast, if you dont need android its definitly the way to go with it.

Hopefully that helps some of the people wonder what first box to get or even anyone looking to update an older box for not a lot of money. If theres any other specific questions on it ill try answer if i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭renov8

5500 wrote: »
    Ill give my 0.02 that may be of help to newbies.

Ive used and gotten for a few friends the beelink mini mxiii ii over the past 2 months. Overall ive had no complaints with any that i have gotten. Beelink in fairness to them issue updates OTA and ive had two since using the box, so theres manufacturer support available which can be rare with cheaper boxes.

I use it on wifi myself, its dual band and with a virgin router sees 70/80mbs upstairs and through some walls so im fairly impressed, no probs at all with streaming.

Its S905x, 2gb ram and 16gb rom and android 6.0, so should be future proof for the time being with kodi, plus the s905x chip has some other active development mentioned below.

Compared to some boxes online either no names or on adverts you cant go too far wrong with it for €45 delivered at gearbest - http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_446536.html

Make sure to select priority line ireland express for shipping, roughly 10 days for delivery by anpost and no vat to worry about.

Granted its not the best out there but you could do far worse for the money.

Incedently for anyone wanting to tinker im runninv librelec on mine, couple of hiccups with wifi initially but aside from that its blazing fast, if you dont need android its definitly the way to go with it.

Hopefully that helps some of the people wonder what first box to get or even anyone looking to update an older box for not a lot of money. If theres any other specific questions on it ill try answer if i can.

Looking for a replacement for the Nexbox because of the green screen issue. Was about to pull the trigger on the Beelink but thought i'd have a quick google first. Seems this also has a problem with old Sony Brivia TVs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

renov8 wrote: »
    Looking for a replacement for the Nexbox because of the green screen issue. Was about to pull the trigger on the Beelink but thought i'd have a quick google first. Seems this also has a problem with old Sony Brivia TVs :mad:
    What sort of problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

My phone and tablet updated to kodi 17 yesterday.
    My neo u1 is running "xbmc for minix" which I gather is the same thing as kodi. This hasn't updated tho and is still on 16.3.
    Will there be an update coming? Do I even need one? Everything is working fine as it is, for now anyway.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jclack

Bought a couple of boxes from Munster gadgets which I found great because gave them to family members as they would update automatically so I wasn't plagued with questions / looking for help all the time. Looks like that site is no longer active, are there any other sites you guys know of that have kodi preloaded And updates regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

.red. wrote: »
    My phone and tablet updated to kodi 17 yesterday.
    My neo u1 is running "xbmc for minix" which I gather is the same thing as kodi. This hasn't updated tho and is still on 16.3.
    Will there be an update coming? Do I even need one? Everything is working fine as it is, for now anyway.
    Cheers.

Have a read here http://www.minixforum.com/threads/official-candidate-for-kodi-17-is-out.15555/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

blobbie wrote: »

Cheers for the reply,
    I'd doesn't say much about wether I should install Kodi 17 from the play store and start again or just leave it as the pre installed XBMC, or even if this will update in time, It just says that both will work.
    Ive had a play around and it seems to be working fine as it is so I'll probably leave it, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I got the kodi update on my Nexus 9 tablet & my Nvidia Shield TV at the weekend (used for viewing my photo libraries, music and home movies)... On the tablet it wouldn't accept the Titan skin I had set up, but on the Shield it remained in tact... Have to say, I prefer Titan to the new look... It's not bad, but I've got mine set up very simply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭renov8

Advertisement