Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Invincible wrote: »
    Couldn't believe it this evening, when I saw M8S+ & MXQ pro boxes for sale in local eur0nics shop for €149.95!!

I hope you bought one of each! Bargain of the year lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

Invincible wrote: »
    Couldn't believe it this evening, when I saw M8S+ & MXQ pro boxes for sale in local eur0nics shop for €149.95!!

I really must open an electronics shop..... :rolleyes: However, they are not alone - I've seen a lot of shops (including big name retailers) selling these boxes over the past year or so and the prices they are charging is an absolute disgrace! Anyone who pays that money for one of those boxes clearly hasn't a clue what they're at.

On a happier note, can I just say a huge thank you to .red and Shefwedfan for their review of their recent purchases. Very informative. Hopefully, a lot more will do the same. Then anyone who asks the standard "tell me what box to buy for a tenner" question can be told where to go. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

BandMember wrote: »
    On a happier note, can I just say a huge thank you to .red and Shefwedfan for their review of their recent purchases. Very informative. Hopefully, a lot more will do the same. Then anyone who asks the standard "tell me what box to buy for a tenner" question can be told where to go. ;)

No problem, first one so wasnt sure what to include, need any more info just ask,....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Died anyone know how to improve quality. There seems to be lag in my box.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Stick Nova launcher on it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Very disappointed. Streams on fuzy as ****.

Very disappointed. Streams on fuzy as ****.

The lag and quality of the streams are more than likely due to (a) the source (b) your internet connection (c) a combination of both or (d) the settings on your box and television. FWIW, my money would be on (a). It's not as simple as saying "the box is sh*te".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just to add to the reviews of the A95x,it's nippy enough but the wifi is absolutely terrible on it.I was setting one up the other day for a friend and it took ages to download even small files or they failed due to the wifi dropping out totally.
    Kodi had literally every repo that seems to exist,way too much stuff,a clean install was needed with the important stuff only.
    Anyone buying one be prepared to use a wired connection,the wifi will break your heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I had the Sky Go app installed on my Minix X8-H Plus box & working good until a few months ago.

Sky have decided its no longer compatible as I'm getting an error when trying to start the app.

Can anyone recommend a box that works with Sky Go?

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    I had the Sky Go app installed on my Minix X8-H Plus box & working good until a few months ago.

Sky have decided its no longer compatible as I'm getting an error when trying to start the app.

Can anyone recommend a box that works with Sky Go?

Google is king, it took me all of 5 seconds........

https://skytv.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1236/~/what-devices-can-i-watch-sky-go-on%3F

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Google is not king when I'm asking for boardsie's own recommendations.

My Moto g4 is compatible with Sky Go but it's not on that sky list. (Also, that list is from sky NZ)

I'm asking if anyone on here has a box that runs Sky Go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

My Moto g4 is compatible with Sky Go but it's not on that sky list. (Also, that list is from sky NZ)

I think sky have it programmed to stop working when a HDMI cable is being used. I got it to work using a screen mirror app from my phone to the android box but it was only a small rectangle in the middle of the TV screen so it defeated the purpose.

Sorry it took another 5 seconds, so 10 secs in total...google "Sky go uk supported devices"

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-go-supported-devices

In reality Sky will not support any of these devices as they are been sold to replace sky by all those dodgy Ebay/Adverts/Donedeal sellers.....

Maybe a mod could clear this up but is this not a discussion about an illegal use of Android box? Please see below which is clear on the Sky website

Sky Go doesn't permit the use of rooted or jail broken devices. Second screen display is also not permitted, for example through the use of Air Play, Miracast, HDMI/TV-Out and Chromecast.
    Individual user experience of Sky Go is tracked through Conviva across iOS devices and the Android tablet app. The Sky Go advertising platform also tracks individual usage for the provision of serving advertisements.
    Sky employs technologies such as digital rights management and copy protection to control the play back and copying of digital content provided via Sky Go.

Thanks for the clarification. I might just have to pay the few quid to use the app on my ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

zerks wrote: »
    Just to add to the reviews of the A95x,it's nippy enough but the wifi is absolutely terrible on it.I was setting one up the other day for a friend and it took ages to download even small files or they failed due to the wifi dropping out totally.
    Kodi had literally every repo that seems to exist,way too much stuff,a clean install was needed with the important stuff only.
    Anyone buying one be prepared to use a wired connection,the wifi will break your heart.

Turn the box upside down to see if it improves Wi-Fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Turn the box upside down to see if it improves Wi-Fi.

It'll be going to it's new home tomorrow so I'll ask them to try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

Can anyone recommend a good android stick to replace my mk808b which is increasingly not coping with what I'm throwing at it.
    Is the MK809IV any good ?

jharr100 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good android stick to replace my mk808b which is increasingly not coping with what I'm throwing at it.
    Is the MK809IV any good ?

I'd definitely recommend that you go for a box instead of a stick as they are far superior devices and you will have a much better experience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

BandMember wrote: »
    I'd definitely recommend that you go for a box instead of a stick as they are far superior devices and you will have a much better experience with them.

Thanks . I was asking about android sticks because I travel a bit with work and like to use a smaller android device that's easy to pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R11

jharr100 wrote: »
    Thanks . I was asking about android sticks because I travel a bit with work and like to use a smaller android device that's easy to pack.

Get a Nexbox A95x, great wee android box, about 9cm by 9cm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Firestick with Kodi maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Hey Guys, hoping someone can help, have a minix box running Kodi 16.1 or .2 not 100% sure as in here at work,
    but its seems to think I'm on FIRST RUN every time I open it. So all my home page favs are gone etc., Its seems to be keeping my login details for TRAKT etc,

read somewhere it could be running short on memory but I've an SD card installed and plenty onboard abailable too as keep it lean

any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Do you have any app running which is cleaning cache in the background?

not that I know of, in Kodi itself or on the box?, shouldnt be anything else running on the box, use you tube occassionally but thats it.

BobMc wrote: »
    Hey Guys, hoping someone can help, have a minix box running Kodi 16.1 or .2 not 100% sure as in here at work,
    but its seems to think I'm on FIRST RUN every time I open it. So all my home page favs are gone etc., Its seems to be keeping my login details for TRAKT etc,

read somewhere it could be running short on memory but I've an SD card installed and plenty onboard abailable too as keep it lean

any advice?

What Minix do you have? Never heard of something like that happening before! If it is down to lack of memory, then you have far too much installed on it and need to get rid of the extra rubbish!

However, is there any possibility that instead of clearing the cache and stuff inside Kodi, that you are clearing it from the Apps section of the box and that's why you are getting the first run page each time?

Its an X-5 mini, have an 8h aswell, not been deleting any android apps of it of late, was hoping it was an easy fix.
    I might try a fresh instal and start from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭renov8

any advice?

Not sure if this helps but it certainly worked for me. When you add favs to your homepage screen, you need to shut down the box properly using the power button on kodi (bottom right or left corner I think) rather than the box. If you don't do this it loses the favs you've saved.

i'll give it a lash !!

Its an X-5 mini, have an 8h aswell, not been deleting any android apps of it of late, was hoping it was an easy fix.
    I might try a fresh instal and start from scratch

That box is ancient! You must have it years now? Which goes to show how long the Minix boxes last.... ;)

If I was you, I would first of all delete any android apps that you don't use off the box. I would then uninstall any Kodi add ons that you don't use/don't need. Also, make sure that you are closing down Kodi (and anything else that you open) properly.

Without wanting to stray into dangerous (and probably bannable) terrority, do you have a bulid installed or did you just make your own? If so, the problem could be caused by a fault in the bulid (i.e. a flaw in the design, the bulid not updating, being incompatible etc.) or the bulid being so big that it's taking up too much space on your box.

• Advertisement

Haha tis a few years old alright but has stood the test of time its in the master bedroom.
    I've a mibox waiting to install in its place but hate to throw in the towel on the x5 just yet.

I did have a build and didnt like it and thought I'd done a fresh install so perhaps I did leave something on there I shouldnt have. Also we're terrible for not powering it down properly if at all !

Advertisement