Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

S912 the top chip?

Or is their much in s905x and it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Any update from Minix when they will release the U9?
    It was rumoured for late 2016 release but gone very quiet since Xmas.

I'm gonna buy a new box to replace X-H and was holding out for U9 .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

arkrow wrote: »
    S912 the top chip?

Or is their much in s905x and it?

I think there were issues with 'Green Screen Flickering' on boxes with the S912 chip, not sure if that has been resolved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭vectra

eamonnq wrote: »
    I think there were issues with 'Green Screen Flickering' on boxes with the S912 chip, not sure if that has been resolved though.

would the 912 be more future proof though if it does get sorted? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

.red. wrote: »
    I plugged in a ps3 and nothing worked. Downloaded axis controler and couldn't figure it out. Google wasn't much help.

I had an old unofficial PC wireless adapter for the Xbox 360 controller that worked. I plugged it into a PC and made sure it was installed & the pad was synced; when I moved it to my Android box it worked fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

yabadabado wrote: »
    Any update from Minix when they will release the U9?
    It was rumoured for late 2016 release but gone very quiet since Xmas.

I'm gonna buy a new box to replace X-H and was holding out for U9 .

It's available now

https://m.facebook.com/minixtech/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06X186PRW/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1487966405&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=U9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Is it still 2gb RAM / quad core / 16gb ROM / Android 6 that are the min realistic requirements when looking to buy?

Been using kodi on a few raspberry pis for years but looking for a decent android for a while now... but there are just so many on the market. Want to get my first one right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Access wrote: »
    Is it still 2gb RAM / quad core / 16gb ROM / Android 6 that are the min realistic requirements when looking to buy?

Been using kodi on a few raspberry pis for years but looking for a decent android for a while now... but there are just so many on the market. Want to get my first one right.

My advise is to buy something decent that will get good support. If you play games get a Shield, if not get a Mi Box. I have a shield myself and am blown away by how good it is
    https://www.nvidia.co.uk/shield/
    http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Access wrote: »

Yeah, thats what you're looking at. With Android 6, you can stick in an SD card and combine it with the system memory for storing and also saving apps.

Look at the chipset as well, There's some good value out there for S905X based boxes at the moment in the €50 ballpark. The s912 has been around for a bit, but seems to be troublesome on certain boxes. Minix for example, haven't released theirs until this week, despite having test boxes ready since last September.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Horace Cope

The s912 has been around for a bit, but seems to be troublesome on certain boxes. Minix for example, haven't released theirs until this week, despite having test boxes ready since last September.
    MiniX Minix Neo U9-H 4K HDR Android TV Box / Mini PC
    S912 - check! :)
    Mali 820 - check! :)
    802.11 ac 2 x 2 MIMO - check! :)
    Bluetooth 4.1 - check! :)
    HDMI 2.0 - check! :)
    Dolby Digital and Dolby DTS - check! :)
    Expandable Memory - check! :)
    3 x USB 2.0 - check! :)
    DLNA - check! :)
    Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow, later via ota Android 7.0 Nougat - check!:)
    https://www.android-warehouse.com/en/minix-u9-neo-h-android-tv-box-mini-pc.html

But a price of EUR179,00, and it does not have satellite/saorview DVB tuners like the Wetek.... it is pricey!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Slightly cheaper if you buy from amazon but will have to use PM.Will cost around €170 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭BandMember

sxt wrote: »

At last! Thanks for the heads up. Specs look great and even though my current box (Minix X-8H) is still working perfectly, it looks like I'm going to be investing soon.... :D

Piss take price. Their won't be a Q for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I haven't used Android boxes in years, been using a Plex based system for IPTV but it got shut down.

Can anyone recommend today's equivalent of an M8 / MXiii a couple of years ago? Not looking to splash out on an NVidia Shield if I can avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

I haven't used Android boxes in years, been using a Plex based system for IPTV but it got shut down.

Can anyone recommend today's equivalent of an M8 / MXiii a couple of years ago? Not looking to splash out on an NVidia Shield if I can avoid it.

If you can plug the box into your router then the 2gb nexbox a95x is decent(not the cheaper 1gb). Some people had issues with poor WiFi but the one I got was perfect. If you cant plug it in direct then a set of home plugs will do the trick. Delete the preinstalled Kodi as its a bit buggy and put it back on via the play store. Takes all of 3/4 minutes to do.
    €56 delivered from amazon.
    I've got the minix neo u1 and its fantastic, its better than the nexbox but its double the price and for what I use it for, I'm not sure its worth the extra money.

Is 1GB Ram grand if you just want to plug in a harddrive into the box?

What are the boxes at when using so much ram? Whats using it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Is 1GB Ram grand if you just want to plug in a harddrive into the box?

What are the boxes at when using so much ram? Whats using it?

Adding a hard drive does not increase ram, it increases storage

Ah yea I know, I mean thats all I want to do with the box is watch stuff off of a harddrive, their's no internet here so streaming is a fantasy.

I assume 1GB is loads for what I want or are these boxes using silly amounts just doing nothing?

I assume 1GB is loads for what I want or are these boxes using silly amounts just doing nothing?

It's been repeatedly said by multiple posters on this thread not to buy 1GB boxes. The last poster told you the same. I'm not sure how posters can be any clearer? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Ah yea I know, I mean thats all I want to do with the box is watch stuff off of a harddrive, their's no internet here so streaming is a fantasy.

They just buy a media player like
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pathson-Player-Digital-Auto-play-Loop-Play/dp/B01N1S65M8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1488371958&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=media+player+usb&psc=1

Completely agree. I have a media player similar to this which I use to store stuff that I wish to keep. If you have no internet (which you said in your post), then an android box is not what you want - it's something like this you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

does anyone know of any 2gb boxes that come with bluetooth remote, I was going to get a firestick but I'm not sure if 1gb is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

^ Xiaomi Mibox..
    Having set one up for a pal, I can highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

UsedToWait: ^^^Can I ask where did you/he/she buy this from? Thanks

UsedToWait wrote: »
    ^ Xiaomi Mibox..
    Having set one up for a pal, I can highly recommend it

OK Thanks, do you know where he bought it, just had a quick look online and I can only see it on Chinese sites

• Registered Users Posts: 15,229 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/-Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box-374192.html shipped from Spain. I ordered mine through the HK warehouse it took months and got hit with customs.

john4321 wrote: »
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/-Official-International-Version--XIAOMI-Mi-Box-4K-H-265-Android-Box-374192.html shipped from Spain. I ordered mine through the HK warehouse it took months and got hit with customs.

Oh! a bit pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 15,229 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

ellobee wrote: »
    Oh! a bit pricey

I personally think its worth it but really depends what you are looking for. Its a good Android 6 box that runs K0di very well and a decent remote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

ellobee wrote: »
    OK Thanks, do you know where he bought it, just had a quick look online and I can only see it on Chinese sites

He got it from an eBay seller, UK based.. Around £85 iirc - obviously be wary and check seller feedback..

Advertisement