Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who pays the cancellation charge?

Options
  • 13-06-2015 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Last year in July, my boyfriend and I got a place with a friend of ours. The three of us moved into a flat and signed up for electricity, internet etc. We got broadband/a landline without realising it was an 18 month contract. (Stupid of us I know) after five months the friend moved out and was replaced with a new roommate.

Fast forward to now, my boyfriend and I are leaving the place and emigrating. Our new flatmate is getting a room elsewhere. I'm being quoted 400 quid cancellation fees for the broadband and I'm just wondering if our old flatmate is one-third responsible for it? Seeing as how the three of us entered the contact together and all three of us broke it early. (He was the one who originally told.me to go for that particular deal and both of us thought it was 12 months) he's been gone six months but is it fair to ask him for part of that fee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Whose name is on the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Whoever has their name on the bill is responsible for it being paid and any penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Whose name is on the bill?

Just mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Afroshack wrote: »
    Just mine.

Your soley responsible unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Asking the ex-flatmate for a contribution is possible, but probably a bit cheeky at this stage. Do you want to keep the friend?
    Gatling wrote: »
    Your soley responsible unfortunately
    While Afroshack is solely responsible to the service provider, that doesn't stop Afroshack getting someone else to take over the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

You have 7 months left on contract with UPC, how much are you paying per month? If it is less than 57.15 per month it would be cheaper to pay the bill and cancel after the 7 months instead of paying 400 cancellation fee.

As for your question regarding who is responsible for the bill, as originally you signed using your name, legally you are responsible for the bill and any fees accrued.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Op here. Oh yeah I get that legally I am responsible as it came from my account but does it not make sense to ask the others to contribute. The three of us set it up together and planned to use it for the 18 months and now, well all three of us have bailed. So each of us are reasonably one-third responsible to ensure the contract is fulfilled (even though its my account)

Afroshack wrote: »
    Op here. Oh yeah I get that legally I am responsible as it came from my account but does it not make sense to ask the others to contribute. The three of us set it up together and planned to use it for the 18 months and now, well all three of us have bailed. So each of us are reasonably one-third responsible to ensure the contract is fulfilled (even though its my account)

Wouldn't hurt to ask but I doubt you will get anywhere.

Is their not some clause that if they can't provide the service at your new address then they have to cancel the contract without penalty.

Is their not some clause that if they can't provide the service at your new address then they have to cancel the contract without penalty.

Nope, some service providers might do that out of courtesy but they do not have to. It would not be the service provider that would be changing the terms of the contract with an address change so can't be held responsible for the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭omega666

I would think contacting somone 6 months after they moved out looking for Bill money is a bit much. If it was me i would just write it off as a lesson learned.

Advertisement