Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goal or not. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

In normal play I think goal but I think penalty shoot outs might have some rule about it stopping when the ball isn't moving towards the goal. Gut says goal given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

In normal play I think goal but I think penalty shoot outs might have some rule about it stopping when the ball isn't moving towards the goal. Gut says goal given

Thats what I think was thinking, too. The article doesn't explicitly say what 'type' of pen it was. The phrase 'was awarded' suggests it was a pen in normal play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Don't think there's such rule in shootouts. Saw this on Facebook, someone posted the laws around it and by those the goal should stand

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

100% a goal

• Advertisement

Boskowski wrote: »
    Thats what I think was thinking, too. The article doesn't explicitly say what 'type' of pen it was. The phrase 'was awarded' suggests it was a pen in normal play.

It was a shootout. In the video you can see the other goalie to the side and the next pen taker coming up to take his kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Trilla wrote: »
    Don't think there's such rule in shootouts. Saw this on Facebook, someone posted the laws around it and by those the goal should stand

Could be right. Just remember something I saw years ago which was similar and a ref said a pen is dead in a shootout once not moving towards goal. Would assume ref has to whistle the spot kick dead though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Has to be a goal. The Goalie never had control of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Goal! The fact that the ball was being retrieved by the other keeper would suggest to me that it was a shoot-out. One thing is for sure that young keeper will not make the error of slinging the ball be hind him ever again in thinking the penalty phase was complete before it was! Good refereeing - wonder would he fancy a run out at LoI?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think it's a goal. I can remember reading somewhere about a rule that used to be in place but not anymore that when the ball was moving away from goal it was over (so hitting a post and deflecting in off the goalies back for instance wouldn't be given) but that this wasn't the case anymore and that the ball had to be in control of the goalie or stopped or something now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ref is spot on. That's a goal. Ball has to come to a complete stop before the penalty is classed as 'completed'. Loads of examples of these freakish shorts of goals on youtube. Some rather funny ones too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Goal . Keeper celebrating a bit too early lol :D

I remember a bit of debate surrounding one of the French penalties in Mexico 86 in the shoot out v Brazil. Came off post and hit keeper, was allowed.

4 mins in..

http://youtu.be/_nhvqIjgQ04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Skid X wrote: »
    Has to be a goal. The Goalie never had control of the ball.

Exactly, it squirmed out of his hand as part of the original motion of the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Remember watchin a game in youth football years ago locally. Shoot out. Guy hits crossbar. Ball cannons off the cross bar up in and away from the goal. Guy hangs his head. Keeper delighted runs off the goal in celebration that they've won. Ball hits the ground then rolls into the goal. I shout goal as the ball never went dead people are confused cos they don't know the rules. Ref starts questioning himself too but plays it safe and says no goal.
    True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

The goal stands.. good example here as well.

I remember a bit of debate surrounding one of the French penalties in Mexico 86 in the shoot out v Brazil. Came off post and hit keeper, was allowed.

4 mins in..

http://youtu.be/_nhvqIjgQ04

Greatest game ever ? For me as a neutral it was anyway. Two of the greatest sides never to win the WC.

I think at the time the rule in penalty shootouys was that if the ball ceases to go forward or sideways then it's dead, so it's possible that goal should have been disallowed. Could be wrong on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Yep......goal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Goal. No question about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Can't see what the fuss is about; clearly a valid goal. No difference to a 'keeper making a fantastic save, pushing the ball onto the post only to see it trickle in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's obviously a shoutout. The camera is on the bloody pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A goal all day long, and the keeper was an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A goal all day long, and the keeper was an idiot.

Children man. He's not an idiot...he's a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Kirby wrote: »
    Children man. He's not an idiot...he's a kid.

I know he's a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

It's not as clear cut as everyone is saying. The keeper saves the penalty strike, so in theory the ref could have decided immediately that it was a miss (similar to the actual penalty taker who turns away in disappointment knowing that he has had his effort saved), however, because of the short space of time between the save and the subsequent fumble of the ball by the keeper back into the net, the ref deemed it to be a part of the penalty process. It's quite harsh on the young keeper imo, but a very important lesson for the lad. It really could have gone either way and was entirely dependent on the discretion of the referee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

K4t wrote: »
    It's not as clear cut as everyone is saying. The keeper saves the penalty strike, so in theory the ref could have decided immediately that it was a miss (similar to the actual penalty taker who turns away in disappointment knowing that he has had his effort saved), however, because of the short space of time between the save and the subsequent fumble of the ball by the keeper back into the net, the ref deemed it to be a part of the penalty process. It's quite harsh on the young keeper imo, but a very important lesson for the lad. It really could have gone either way and was entirely dependent on the discretion of the referee.

It is as clear cut if you read the section on the rule book that was posted which deems this scenario a goal 100% of the time all of the time :-)

Advertisement