Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Year Art

• 13-06-2015 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I'll be going into 5th Year in August and I'm doing Art, and I have a few questions if anyone can help. I know it might vary by school, but are practical classes and history classes usually divided evenly, and how many classes would you usually have of art in a week? On the practical side, what is done in 5th year? I'd imagine we'll be doing the craftwork exam, but do teachers usually prepare you for all questions, or just focus on one or two? Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

2 practical doubles, 1 history single

• Registered Users Posts: 43 k88

In my school (my teacher's kinda cray but in fairness has been teaching a long time and classes relatively come out with good grades)

5th year: We covered the Irish history (a third of the syllabus) from the start of the year until Christmas. After Christmas we actually put on our own exhibition in the school which was practising for the practical and also covered a lot of what you need to know for the Gallery question of Section 3 on the written paper.

6th year: Again we covered history up until Christmas pretty much, the European section (section 2) which again, is a third of the syllabus for history. But we also got projects to do at home, a still life practice and she gave us a week - 2 weeks to complete it at home and our teacher would them grade it. Before Christmas we went the the RHA Gallery in Dublin for our gallery visit question (section 3) and covered what they would ask within a couple of weeks, that question is usually based on the visit/how the exhibition was curated rather than studied material.
    After Christmas we mainly focused on practicals and practiced Craftwork (Poster) mainly and figure drawing. Once practicals are over, back to history revision :)

Sorry this is so long but that's how we did it! Hope it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

k88 wrote: »
    In my school (my teacher's kinda cray but in fairness has been teaching a long time and classes relatively come out with good grades)

5th year: We covered the Irish history (a third of the syllabus) from the start of the year until Christmas. After Christmas we actually put on our own exhibition in the school which was practising for the practical and also covered a lot of what you need to know for the Gallery question of Section 3 on the written paper.

6th year: Again we covered history up until Christmas pretty much, the European section (section 2) which again, is a third of the syllabus for history. But we also got projects to do at home, a still life practice and she gave us a week - 2 weeks to complete it at home and our teacher would them grade it. Before Christmas we went the the RHA Gallery in Dublin for our gallery visit question (section 3) and covered what they would ask within a couple of weeks, that question is usually based on the visit/how the exhibition was curated rather than studied material.
    After Christmas we mainly focused on practicals and practiced Craftwork (Poster) mainly and figure drawing. Once practicals are over, back to history revision :)

Sorry this is so long but that's how we did it! Hope it helps :)

Thanks so much, that's given me a good idea of what to expect. I have one more question, if that's okay. What is the workload (homework/projects) like? Did it ever get overwhelming or was it easy enough to keep on top of? Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭currooney

In my school we've one double and a single of practicals and 2 singles for art history. I've just finished 5th year and we practiced calligraphy, a poster, a life drawing and a still life in acrylic, watercolour, pencil and oil pastels. We never really got practical homework unless you were behind in whatever we were doing in class. My teacher solely focuses on craftwork.
    Art history wise we covered the Irish section and took a trip to an exhibiton and newgrange, as it's on the course. We got essays and tests on each section we did which was fine. It was a nice enough subject for fifth year because we weren't getting homework everyday and the practical classes were fairly relaxed. Sixth year will hit me like a tonne of bricks!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 k88

S_Hick12 wrote: »
    Thanks so much, that's given me a good idea of what to expect. I have one more question, if that's okay. What is the workload (homework/projects) like? Did it ever get overwhelming or was it easy enough to keep on top of? Thanks again :)

No problem! The essays, not gonna lie are a bit of a pain to do but I found them as a great revision tool coming up to exams and also it's very handy to practise your timing because you have only about 45 mins to do in in the exam. I really enjoy the practical side of art so I really enjoyed the projects as my teacher usually gave us a week minimum to complete them. I do have to admit that coming up to the practicals, it's all very close to the orals and stuff so trying to practise and plan things for the practicals is a little stressful but tbh if you're talented and enjoy art, you'll breeze through the projects and practicals :)

Oh and also, if you choose to do art and use the 'Hsitory and Appreciation of Art' by FOLENS book, I'd recommend getting a Less Stress More Success revision book in 6th year because it gives you what you need to know, the other book I feel gives a lot of irrelevant info as the essays need to be informative but also have a personal slant to them for full marks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Would agree with k88 - Less Stress More Success is a brill book for art. My advice is that make sure you know a little bit about everything - like this year there was no Impressionism question and that would have really p*ssed so many people off! We usually had 5 classes per week - 2 history, 3 practical and then as the craft/design exam got nearer we had less theory classes :)

Advertisement