Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Windows Could Not Connect To The System Event Notification Service"

Options
  • 13-06-2015 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

My laptop is in a jock.

For the last three days, every time I try to boot my laptop (running Windows 7 Home Premium), it either hangs completely or it's desperately slow and is effectively unusable. I get the following message: "Windows Could Not Connect To The System Event Notification Service".

Google suggested a few fixes:

System Restore
    Laptop seems to have no restore points. Never seen this before, and I have done at least one system restore in the past.

Netsh Winsock Reset
    This initially seemed to have worked, but everything was still just as slow.

Nothing has been changed recently (no new installs or uninstalls) - I gather can sometimes bring on this issue.

I'm not particularly computer "literate" per se, but if I could find a few possible solutions in bullet-point format, I can follow those no prob.

If anyone could help I'd be super-grateful. If ye need any more info, let me know.

Thanks for any replies,

Mark

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Have you tried to boot the laptop into safe mode? Hold down F8 after you press the power button.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Thanks. Boot options appears to be F12 - F8 wasn't working for me.

I got lucky - I got a successful boot (Sunday morning), backed-up the few bits & pieces I'd done since my last full backup (2/3 weeks ago), and shut it down.

The next time I booted the laptop (Sunday night), it went immediately in to a disk scan itself (not sure if that's the correct term?) before Windows started. That took 20-30 minutes, then it restarted itself, and everything's been fine since.

I created a system restore point last night, so unless that somehow gets deleted (not sure how that could happen), I should be able to go back to that if this issue comes up again.

Should I dig out my install & system & drivers discs and backup everything and just reinstall Windows just to be safe?

What might have caused the issue in the first place?

Thanks for your reply. :)

Mark

Advertisement