Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC, DIT, UCC or Queens for Architecture?

• 13-06-2015 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I am currently doing my Leaving Cert exams and thinking about where to apply to next year. I hope to do Architecture, but would like some advice on which course would be recommended.

The courses I am looking to apply to are at DIT and UCD in Dublin, UCC/CIT joint course in Cork and Queen's in Belfast. I am not overly bothered about what city is the best, more which degree.

I was hoping somebody could tell me a bit about these different courses and which degrees are most highly recognised by potential employers? I notice the UCC/CIT course last year had a significantly lower points requirement. Is this because it is a younger course? Or is it less well recognised, less enjoyable or simply because more people are attracted to Dublin? Cork looks like a very nice city to me, though very very far away!

I am also wondering if UCD and Queen's would be better recognised as they are universities rather that institutes of technology?

So basically, if anyone could help me regarding which degree is 'best', I'd really appreciate it. By the way, I like the idea of working in the UK and abroad in the future if that makes a difference regarding degree recognition.

Thanks!
    Ryan :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

I'm not sure if cork is riai accredited, look into it. Regardless I would have limerick ahead of it. UL, dit and ucd are much of a muchness tbh. Queens would also be on a similar level...
    Facilities also little difference, ul perhaps more progressive with their technology outlook. DIT will probably be a technological university and possibly in grangegorman by the time you finish. DIT & UCD probably have the best lecturers, altho organisation in DIT is another thing!

Are you committed to ireland? You could always look further, westminister, the Bartlett and the AA would be well rated. Although AA would be a bit more out there for my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RJMortimer

Thanks a lot for the reply. Unfortunately I am too late to apply for UL as they require a portfolio, so it is a 'restricted course'.

Got this on UCC's website:

"The course has been designed in response to the guidelines of the UNESCO/UIA Charter for Architectural Education, the European Qualifications Directive (2005/36/ EC) relating to the Architectural Profession, and the Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland (RIAI) Education Policy.
    Combined with the Master of Architecture, it is accredited by the RIAI. Together with two years' work experience in an architect's office and a Postgraduate Certificate in Architectural Professional Practice and Experience, this will allow you to register as a professional architect."

So appears to be recognised well doesn't it? However, is the bit regarding 2 years work experience the same as the other colleges, or do you walk out of those with a full degree and ready to register as a professional architect?

I am most drawn towards UCD at the minute, but doubt I'll get the points. I've heard you're sometimes able to transfer from college to college. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks for the help!
    Ryan

Once its riai registered the rest is background noise. The European directive sets a standard and lists which colleges comply.

On UL's portfolio, DIT has a suitability test and interview, would it not be an issue and rule it out. The test... A load of ****e, but it has to be passed.

Years out would be encouraged by all colleges, and having gone straight through I would recommend it too.

Moving colleges is also fine. Its rare in Ireland but a lot more common in the UK to do your part 1 in one college and part 2 in another. With the European directive there is nothing stopping you moving country if you did switch

Great.

Sorry don't quite get what you're saying about UL/DIT. Would you mind rephrasing?

Do you know if it would be possible to do 'part 1' of a course in one Irish university and then switch? Any idea what would be stopping me from doing that? For example, say I was in UL (which I don't think I can be but anyway) and did part 1 there, could I then switch to say DIT or UCD even though I hadn't met their Leaving Cert entry requirements? And how long is 'part 1'? A semester?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help!!

DIT has a suitability test and then interview where a portfolio is highly advisable. Dont see how you can rule out one and not the other. Are you doing a late change to your CAO?

Part 1 is 3 years, part 2 is 2 years. After both you will be an "architectural graduate". Then you do another course, a part time Professional Diploma in Architectural Practice (queens, ucd, dit) to become a registered architect.

• Advertisement

I had not put Architecture in UL down as a choice before the deadline, think that was about April at a guess. Because it is a restricted course, I can't now put it down. DIT is no longer a restricted course, so I can apply for that.

Ah I see, the parts are quite long then. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

Having just completed 1st year in DIT, I can obviously recommend it.
    It is far more practical than UCD (Few essays, more constructional element)
    Another thing to note is your feel of which of those courses would suit you better, you seem too keen on what other people's opinions are. It's all up to you.
    Personally I got enough points for UCD, but had it down 2nd (DIT 1st) because I got a nicer vibe off of DIT, even though my dad who went with me to UCD open day thought I was mad not to go to UCD.

So my best advice would be to figure it out on your own. Almost all the information you need to make your decision is already on the web and maybe even this forum. And also if you don't have a portfolio for DIT, go do an interview anyway, you can get good advice even if you don't get in.

Okay thanks. I don't really know what course would suit me, so trying to find out what degree is looked on as being the 'best', if any of them are.

From what I've seen, I like the look of all of them. Cork is the least practical but I'm more concerned about doing the right course than the one that is easiest for me to get to!

What sort of things are expected in a portfolio? Maybe I could start working on one after my exams? I understand if you're not allowed to give tips on that :)

Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

As an employer I'd be a be looking for an architecture student taught in Revit instead of CAD. Have all the colleges switched to Revit now? The degrees are all fairly similar and once you get a degree, complete two years working and then pass the RIAI exams it doesn't matter where you got your degree.

Right thanks. What do Revit and CAD stand for or mean? I might email the universities to ask. Good news that the degrees are all equally good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭PaperArchitect

Out of all of your options I'd recommend DIT and Queens over the others. Cork is trying too hard to make a name for itself and students I've talked to are missing out on learning the fundamentals in favour of lecturers personal interests. I think these students would probably have the most difficult transition from school to practice out of all other colleges judging by their thesis projects.

UCD is great and the location is beautiful but their current thesis projects are heavily orientated around research that isnt manifesting itself into a good architectural project. Out of all the colleges they do have the greatest legacy of architectural graduates but schools go up and down. It's hard to judge a school and the easiest way to do it is by the final year work. So for that reason I wouldn't recommend UCD as first choice right now.

Queens final year students are being run by good architects who are friends with good architects running DIT, so they are probably very similar right now. DIT has the best pay for staff though so this is attractive and DIT tends it get the greater number of better staff. Years and years ago Queens was a disaster as everyone would leave during the troubles and do their part 2 elsewhere. Staff from DIT and UCD started to visit and really brought it to where it is now. But they don't have much of a legacy although I think Hall McKnight may have studied here.

I think where you study is v important and talking to graduates from other colleges like WIT you can see that people are disheartened when they leave to see the standard and quality of work going on elsewhere. I can say that if you choose between DIT, Queens or UCD though, you'll have made the right decision.

Don't worry about Revit or CAD right now. These are just programmes or tools you use to draw. Some colleges may boast that they teach these earlier on but this is a very small part of learning to be an architect. You want to go to a school that will teach you to be a good architect. Anywhere can teach someone to be a good employee.

Good luck.

Advertisement