Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another mystery weed ID

Options
  • 13-06-2015 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Until the mods think to gather all the weed ID requests into one thread…

What's this? It feels kind of hard when you pull it up - the stems are like long bendy pieces of wood, to the feel. This doesn't show the flowers, but they're small and yellow. Multiple stems from one root.

351964.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Ye're all hard work on the old plant ID thing recently!

Anyway, looks like Wood Avens - Geum urbanum - or a friend of its. Post the flower and I can be a little more sure.

Keep them coming! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

does it have a flower quite similar looking to a buttercup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

does it have a flower quite similar looking to a buttercup?

It does - like a buttercup flower shrunk by a magic ray gun. I'll look tomorrow for some ones in flower, though I've mostly torn out what I could see. But here's one in the bloom of its youth:

351981.jpg

At least I think that's it, though the leaves look rounder.

Good heavens, if it is wood avens, what am I doing tearing it out???
    In folklore, wood avens is credited with the power to drive away evil spirits, and to protect against rabid dogs and venomous snakes… The root is used as a spice in soups and also for flavouring ale… Wood avens was stated to be a treatment for poison and dog bites…

Advertisement