Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you rate James McCarthy as a top footballer?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ballack had far more in his locker in an attacking sense. McCarthy is good defensively but it's hard to see the comparison when he doesn't do a whole pile of attacking.

Yeah, it's the goal scoring where McCarthy falls short in that box-to-box role imo. He might still develop that, but I'd say he would have a better chance of developing as a DM from here on.

tastyt wrote: »
    Nor will anybody be taking any notice of you telling them how to interpret somebody else's post.

He was likened to ballack in a post, it was argued against, now get over it.

I didn't tell you how to interpret his post. I pointed out that your interpretation was a rather silly one.

Pro. F wrote: »
    What is it that you get from writing a post like this? Do you like portraying yourself as incapable of observing any of the nuances in such a simple post as Boskowski's?

As opposed to the aggressive style posting?
    Boskowski wrote: »
    I dint say he is as good as Ballack. That would be nonsense. I know they're apart by a long way. .
    But when playing well he reminds me a little in his athleticism and his pull.
    Didn't expect to cause such a stir :o

You didn't cause a stir. Some people disgreed with you. No big deal whatsoever. I certainly won't go all tough guy on you :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ballack was actually quite awesome. In the EPL he was nearly past his best and wasn't utilised to his best.
    Ballack was physically imposing, fast, two footed, great in the air, good free taker and had pull towards goal.
    But I've seen some of that athleticism, the ability to shake of opponents by physical presence in McCarthy on good days.

I have no problem with people disagreeing vehemently. I can take it, I'm a big boy. :) easy to misunderstand written words too. All good.

Boskowski wrote: »
    I dint say he is as good as Ballack. That would be nonsense. I know they're apart by a long way. .
    But when playing well he reminds me a little in his athleticism and his pull.
    Didn't expect to cause such a stir :o

It always happens whenever someone refers to a great player when describing a lesser one. It's like catnip for people who want to use straw-man arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

So aggressive, what the hell. Anyways!

Apologies I didn't pick up on what the poster meant when he was comparing him to Ballack, but I don't see it either way. A lesser player or not, I don't see the comparison. In my eyes anyway.

Its a pity he hasn't turned out to be the player we hoped, but he still has time to improve and be more consistent. Lets hope for more eye catching performances in the green!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

But I get the lower standard thing. I just don't see much of a comparison. Ballack liked to attack. McCarthy not so much. If you were to boil each man down to their best trait, Ballack's would be goalscoring from midfield, McCarthy's would be his defensive work. All irrelevant anyway, just an interesting discussion

Exactly, Ballack scored goals and was also a natural leader, such as captain of Germany.

Can't see McCarthy captaining Ireland or Everton really, or scoring many goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

McCarthy reminds me a bit of schmeichel.

Both talk a bit on the pitch. Both like football. Both best known for playing in the premiership. Both Danish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He is being held up by looking crap for Ireland by O Neill and Co.

He is a decent player with room for improvement. He is much better player then Scott Brown(I'm big Brown fan), but Strachen got best out of Brown while O Neill can't with few Irish players.

He aint at Top 4 level yet though. This season will be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Telling ya, unless someone gets into his head and starts rewiring it, he won't achieve the level anywhere near his potential.

Probably going to find myself watching him more for Everton this year out of pure fascination. Could easily be another Gorcouff, incredible talent unable to deal with the spotlight,attention and pressure of modern football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

James McCarthy isn't an incredible talent though. His technique isn't anywhere near Gourcuff's, and he looks a much more focused player. That's another dreadful comparison in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

McCarthy reminds me a bit of schmeichel.

Both talk a bit on the pitch. Both like football. Both best known for playing in the premiership. Both Danish.

Which Schmeichel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

You could say that about every single player in the premiership.

Most teams in the world.

51% of all the teams. Including the third division in Peru. The conference in japan. The bottom league in New Zealand. Etc etc etc

A pretty nonsensical point really
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    'Walk into most teams in the world'
    'First name on the teamsheet'

Some serious overrating going on in this thread. And if it was all true, it would only make his ponderous performances from us all the more damning.

That's what makes him a top player. Some of you sports fans are so easy to bash the ability of people. Such as tennis fans calling Kournikova a crappy female player even though she played a Wimbledon semis and was ranked as high as 8th in the world.

Advertisement