Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

will you get a break/holiday from the farm this year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    Hopefully a pic of a nice fresh fish tomorrow evening will :)

With you soaked to the bone :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Reggie. wrote: »
    With you soaked to the bone :P
    Naa, have Scierra gear to keep me bone dry, although my hairdresser is always nagging me about the state of my hair colour :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Base price wrote: »
    Naa, have Scierra gear to keep me bone dry, although my hairdresser is always nagging me about the state of my hair colour :rolleyes:

Do fish not bite better when it's raining, or is that a story someone spun me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

ganmo wrote: »
    Do fish not bite better when it's raining, or is that a story someone spun me?
    Really depends on the weather conditions/time of year/location and targeted species ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Just looking at the poll, 6% "other", what does that mean ha, I thought it would be fairly black and white if your taking a holiday or not ha?

Also 36% said no, anyone any idea where this ranks in comparison to other professions? Even in comparison to other sole traders? I'd imagine it's quite high?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Timmaay wrote: »
    Just looking at the poll, 6% "other", what does that mean ha, I thought it would be fairly black and white if your taking a holiday or not ha?

Also 36% said no, anyone any idea where this ranks in comparison to other professions? Even in comparison to other sole traders? I'd imagine it's quite high?
    learnt when doing a survey you always have to put in an option of "other":rolleyes: ye must be tough going if 36% get no break away from the farm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Farmers are a funny breed,a lot wont take a holiday because they think the whole place will fall apart if there gone away for more than 12 hours.lots around here milked very late yesterday as they were gone to hurling final.40/50 euro to relief Milker and take evening off would of been better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Farmers are a funny breed,a lot wont take a holiday because they think the whole place will fall apart if there gone away for more than 12 hours.lots around here milked very late yesterday as they were gone to hurling final.40/50 euro to relief Milker and take evening off would of been better off.

Have to agree. I find the only way to have reliable relief is to use them regularly and give notice. Can't expect a guy to be available at the drop if a hat when the whole parish needs them

The other thing with this poll is boards is quite bias towards younger farmers, fair enough farmers just getting setup, or with very young families probably struggle to escape, but both I'd expect to be short term, a few years max. I still find the 36% worrying 2bh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

The other thing with this poll is boards is quite bias towards younger farmers, fair enough farmers just getting setup, or with very young families probably struggle to escape, but both I'd expect to be short term, a few years max. I still find the 36% worrying 2bh.

It all depends on circumstance in a given year really, with price dropping and projects ongoing I can't afford to go this year as leaving would require someone in to replace me for that entire period, ups the cost of a week away by 700 to 1000 depending on what's to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

I found a very good replacement for relief milking after last lad left after four years. Only problem is he can only do week days as milks for 2 other farmers at weekends. Pain having to have 2 milkers on the go so just have to milk late instead on sun evens.

Mulumpy wrote: »
    I found a very good replacement for relief milking after last lad left after four years. Only problem is he can only do week days as milks for 2 other farmers at weekends. Pain having to have 2 milkers on the go so just have to milk late instead on sun evens.

Why? I got 3 regular relief milkers here, it doesn't hugely bother me which one I get, they all do the job grand, I do have everything laid out for them well, clear steps and instructions for washing the machine etc, a few very simple rules for tape on the problem cows which are always stuck to. Bar during calving season if I know I'm going to be finished up any later than 7.30pm I'll get in a milker.

Timmaay wrote:
    Why? I got 3 regular relief milkers here, it doesn't hugely bother me which one I get, they all do the job grand, I do have everything laid out for them well, clear steps and instructions for washing the machine etc, a few very simple rules for tape on the problem cows which are always stuck to. Bar during calving season if I know I'm going to be finished up any later than 7.30pm I'll get in a milker.

Good guys in this area are hard to get and they are all busy. I've had plenty of messers ere over the years covering my previous guy. Get sick of cows not being milked out properly or not turning up etc. I got 11 names of lads to replace my old milker and only one got recommended.

Mulumpy wrote: »
    Good guys in this area are hard to get and they are all busy. I've had plenty of messers ere over the years covering my previous guy. Get sick of cows not being milked out properly or not turning up etc. I got 11 names of lads to replace my old milker and only one got recommended.

That's not good, you able to hazard a guess as to why they are so poor?, just lazy workers, inexperienced, or badly trained? The last chap I got is actually a good friend of mine who's dad is a beef farmer, plenty of stockman skills, but never milked. Only took about 3milkings to get him up to speed. He'll be back in college Sept so mostly only able to do weekend milking. I plan on keeping my ear to the ground and if I come across any other locals willing to milk I'd happily train them in also once they show good potential. I know milking is one of the most important jobs on the farm, but I'd still consider it a fairly basic low enough skilled repetitive job, and I'm not hugely keen on it myself ha, so if I can get more relief milkers moving forward I definitely will, esp as the herd grows and my time is more valuable elsewhere. I ain't going to reveal how much I pay, other than not much over an hrs work in a nice modern parlour, and only 6 or 7 rows of cows the lads who milk for me are very happy.

Where do ye source staff lads, local word of mouth, frs?

Timmaay wrote:
    That's not good, you able to hazard a guess as to why they are so poor?, just lazy workers, inexperienced, or badly trained? The last chap I got is actually a good friend of mine who's dad is a beef farmer, plenty of stockman skills, but never milked. Only took about 3milkings to get him up to speed. He'll be back in college Sept so mostly only able to do weekend milking. I plan on keeping my ear to the ground and if I come across any other locals willing to milk I'd happily train them in also once they show good potential. I know milking is one of the most important jobs on the farm, but I'd still consider it a fairly basic low enough skilled repetitive job, and I'm not hugely keen on it myself ha, so if I can get more relief milkers moving forward I definitely will, esp as the herd grows and my time is more valuable elsewhere. I ain't going to reveal how much I pay, other than not much over an hrs work in a nice modern parlour, and only 6 or 7 rows of cows the lads who milk for me are very happy.

A lot of the problem is time of year. Maybe I'm too fussy but haven't the time to be training young lads who have only interest for week or two and gone again. Not too worried this year anyway cos not going away this summer as due our third child any day now.

Milked out wrote:
    Where do ye source staff lads, local word of mouth, frs?

Using FRS for pass few years cos even though bit more expensive, they do the donkey work sourcing lads, fully insured, no payslips, no holiday pay and fully tax deductible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

herself gone away for the night im looking after the show here, been good so far. we've a wedding next weekend and that'll prob be it for this year. wont get too far, lack of annual leave and its just too much of a struggle at the minute for the four of us to go away. was hoping to get to England for world cup but if I got to local to watch game id be doin well!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Just trying to organise a week away in Mississippi to visit the brother. Leaving the OH and kids behind. Might divert to Las Vegas too for 2 days. A proper holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Just trying to organise a week away in Mississippi to visit the brother. Leaving the OH and kids behind. Might divert to Las Vegas too for 2 days. A proper holiday

Youll come home with more than a suntan from vegas on your own lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I like your style Darragh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Was in Vegas once around 10 yrs, absolutely crazy place, highly recommend anyone to go there, once!!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

Was in Vegas once around 10 yrs, absolutely crazy place, highly recommend anyone to go there, once!!

Like the sunscreen song
    "Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.
    Live in northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft."

Well, if the Conor McGregor fight is confirmed for 2nd of Jan, I'll hopefully get to go to that. Been to America about a dozen times but never been to Vegas.

Well, if the Conor McGregor fight is confirmed for 2nd of Jan, I'll hopefully get to go to that. Been to America about a dozen times but never been to Vegas.

I think booking.com or one of those has room bookings for nights around new years with free cancellation before the 25 dec

• Advertisement

Cow Porter wrote: »
    Like the sunscreen song
    "Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard.
    Live in northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft."

Live in West Cork once, makes you as mean as shyte

You're only jealous frazz

Milked out wrote: »
    You're only jealous frazz

Of what?? The rain :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Decided on salou for hol next june/July. Sickened I'm not going this yr looking at the places :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Decided on salou for hol next june/July. Sickened I'm not going this yr looking at the places :(

If prepared to go last minute in September gg you'd get a week in Spain cheaper than 3 days in a swanky hotel in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Hear the fecker talking, while our west cork man is planning on spending new yrs in Vegas, this fecker is probably posting from some mobile home outside Ballinasloe!!

Hear the fecker talking, while our west cork man is planning on spending new yrs in Vegas, this fecker is probably posting from some mobile home outside Ballinasloe!!

Lol

Close but no cigar. 2nd part of 2nd cut being baled as I gaze out over the tranquil Atlantic

Off for a spot of fishing now. Hard life;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

If prepared to go last minute in September gg you'd get a week in Spain cheaper than 3 days in a swanky hotel in Ireland

Ah two of use broke atm mj. She just changed the car.
    We're out a good lot any way and things are quiet at home atm. Take it easy time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Ah two of use broke atm mj. Take it easy time

Jeez, what I wouldn't give!!

Flight delayed and stuck in airport...
    Heading to a country where the only cows that you see are the oxen pulling a plough.
    Sadly not a holiday, but more work.

The older I get, the busier I get...

Lol

Close but no cigar. 2nd part of 2nd cut being baled as I gaze out over the tranquil Atlantic

Ah jaysus my heart bleeds for ya :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Lol

The life of the idle rich.:)

Just confirmed my flight to New Orleans. Going to my brother in Jackson, Mississipi for Thanksgiving (26th Nov).
    The plan is to do a road trip Arlington just outside Dallas for the McGregor fight if it is confirmed for Dec 5th, otherwise I'll go to Memphis, Tennessee onto Nashville, down through Alabama, along the coast of Mississipi and back to New Orleans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

Just confirmed my flight to New Orleans. Going to my brother in Jackson, Mississipi for Thanksgiving (26th Nov).
    The plan is to do a road trip Arlington just outside Dallas for the McGregor fight if it is confirmed for Dec 5th, otherwise I'll go to Memphis, Tennessee onto Nashville, down through Alabama, along the coast of Mississipi and back to New Orleans

I'm not jealous Darragh....no... not one bit!

Off with the kids for the day and bringing them to a hotel for the night. They don't know about the hotel bit yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

whelan2 wrote: »
    Off with the kids for the day and bringing them to a hotel for the night. They don't know about the hotel bit yet.

Your always on holidays, must be loaded.😀
    Enjoy

• Advertisement

Booking a long weekend in Iceland with afew friends in Sept at the sec. I've had it on the radar with a few years now but sorta put off by the prices etc, however now that we've done our homework it's a hell of a lot more reasonable that we expected, very little extra over any other normal sun holiday but a million times more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Did you fly with United? I had 4 flights booked with them 2 weeks ago, 3 were at least 2 hours late and the final leg home was cancelled completely and ended up taking 2 extra flights to get home, a full day late. My luggage arrived then 2 days later. When the flight was cancelled, a near riot broke out as they kept delaying the flight and then after 5 hours cancelled it. Police had to be called to stop a few from fighting. They blamed the weather, but the Dublin flight could take off ok - explain that one. The worst I have ever experienced. Sh1t airline to fly with.

Farrell wrote: »
    Your always on holidays, must be loaded.😀
    Enjoy

Cows back calving soon. Got a good deal on the internet

Did you fly with United? I had 4 flights booked with them 2 weeks ago, 3 were at least 2 hours late and the final leg home was cancelled completely and ended up taking 2 extra flights to get home, a full day late. My luggage arrived then 2 days later. When the flight was cancelled, a near riot broke out as they kept delaying the flight and then after 5 hours cancelled it. Police had to be called to stop a few from fighting. They blamed the weather, but the Dublin flight could take off ok - explain that one. The worst I have ever experienced. Sh1t airline to fly with.

Flying with Aer Lingus, couldn't get it cheaper with any other airline

Booking a long weekend in Iceland with afew friends in Sept at the sec. I've had it on the radar with a few years now but sorta put off by the prices etc, however now that we've done our homework it's a hell of a lot more reasonable that we expected, very little extra over any other normal sun holiday but a million times more interesting.

Pm me details of how ye made it cheap.Its on my bucket list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I shall have to amend my no vote to a yes, although my holiday won't be until around New Year. I'll be off to Finland as I'm going to be an Auntie and a kummitäti so I have to go to the baptism. :):)

My brother originally wanted me over to go to Lapland before Christmas but will have to change that now. Lapland should still be fun at New Years!

Kovu wrote: »
    I shall have to amend my no vote to a yes, although my holiday won't be until around New Year. I'll be off to Finland as I'm going to be an Auntie and a kummitäti so I have to go to the baptism. :):)

My brother originally wanted me over to go to Lapland before Christmas but will have to change that now. Lapland should still be fun at New Years!
    God bless that child :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reggie. wrote: »
    God bless that child :D

S/he will be so lucky to have me!

Youll be "strange aunt kovu" lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Must look into getting one of the aunties into this whole international babysitter service, any tips from the bro?

Advertisement