Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a cheaper place to get reliable lightning to USB cables?

• 13-06-2015 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

As title says, this is my second genuine apple one to break in 9 months. I've gone through 4 cheap ones so I'll never buy one of those again, so is there another viable option as to where I can get a reliable one that won't break in 3 days? Or is apple for €19 the best option, lasting ~4 months each(for me)

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I've had an iPad for 2 years, and my original cable still works just fine. Are you being rough with it :P?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

It's amazing the amount of cables some people go through. I still have a lightning cable I got with my 5s in March 14. I bought a 2 metre one a few months after and that is still perfect as well.

A friend of mine was giving out hers broke after a few weeks. I asked her how did she take it out and she just grabs the wire anywhere and pulls, another just grabs the phone and pulls it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

My first one I wasn't all that gentle with, but my current one I am. Granted, I use it a lot, but that shouldn;t have much bearing on the life of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

My 2 metre one is used multiple times throughout the day on a few different phones.

Did you buy it from apple, or where?

Edit: Will they replace my already replaced cable if ipod itself is still under warranty?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The USB cable is covered by the warranty as well, so bring it into an AASP and see what they say.

Make sure you aren’t yanking or twisting the cable. USB cables can’t take that kind of abuse. But if you take care of them there’s no reason why they can’t last years. I still have all my iPhone, iPad and iPod cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I have one of the Amazon Basics cables and find that it is much sturdier than the Apple ones. They are also Apple approved and I've never had any problem with it. They are about €10

The USB cable is covered by the warranty as well, so bring it into an AASP and see what they say.

Make sure you aren’t yanking or twisting the cable. USB cables can’t take that kind of abuse. But if you take care of them there’s no reason why they can’t last years. I still have all my iPhone, iPad and iPod cables.

I've already gotten a cable replaced, so can I get another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Yes as long as it's still within the warranty and/or the cable was replaced in last 90 days.

Alright, thanks lads :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

What people do is go the bed and have the phone charging with the cable coming out of the phone on to there chest and putting pressure on the cable. My GF has always been doing this with her phone and has gone through serious amount of cables.... I plug mine in as im about to head to sleep so no pressure on the cable and have the cable 2-3 years old...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the anker ones on amazon are very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I've two cables I got with an iPhone 5 and still working perfect, I really think it's how you remove the cable and if you use the phone a lot while it's charging. Twisting the cable and that while it's in use, it can't really be helped in some cases but there's always people who will be the cause of them breaking.

I agree that Anker are a great company, I'd buy from Amazon for a good price and quick shipping. Just search MFi so you get an official one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

buy from apple, pull it out by the plastic covering the connector, not the actual cord.

still using the one I got with my iPhone 5 3 generations ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

+1 on the anker ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Just looked at the anker ones on Amazon but the postage is a joke. I know there is Parcel Motel but 9 euro to post a bloody cable..nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

BrianJD wrote: »
    Just looked at the anker ones on Amazon but the postage is a joke. I know there is Parcel Motel but 9 euro to post a bloody cable..nuts

The thing is if you buy from Amazon and spend enough you get free shipping. Handy that way. Just wait until your spending over a certain amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i have two broken lightning cables,

i have used (and abused to be fair) one of my old connector cables and that still charges my ipad perfectly years later, but those lightning cables are a disaster,

the one from my iphone5 is working just fine (it's plugged into the wall and used every night and i do plug it in and out the proper way) but the two newer ones (got with an ipod nano and an ipod touch) have failed already, one was plugged in similarly to my iphone5 cable, the other i used in the car (which is why i thought it failed originally until the second cable failed) when i rang apple they said they know these fail more regularly than the original cables and will replace them as long as they are under a year old (using the product registration as a guideline)

Advertisement