Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single mother moving into house share?

Options
  • 13-06-2015 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi guys asking for advice on behalf my little sister , she's looking to split up from her boyfriend and move into a houseshare , she does work from home but she's also hoping to move into a house share with her son he's 1.

do many others single parents do this or would there be weird for her to do so and would it upset other house sharers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Unless house sharing with another parent I doubt the every day house share would accept a parent with a young child. It would disturb the house way too much. I know myself I would never houseshare in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It would absolutely upset others living in the house and I don't think it would be a suitable environment to raise a child in either.
    Not an option at all in my view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

I would advise her to advertise in the roommate/team-up sections of the Daft website and look for other mothers in a similar situation - then they could look for a house to rent together. It could definitely work out, as I'm sure she's not the only one in that position.

Very few adults without children would want to live in a houseshare with other peoples' children, especially if they didn't know the mother and child very well beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Very few adults without children would want to live in a houseshare with other peoples' children, especially if they didn't know the mother and child very well beforehand.
    This!

Also, if the child causes damages stuff belonging to the other people in the house share, she'll have to pay up, as "he's only a child" means nothing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- in all honesty- and as a parent to two young children myself- I can hand over heart say- suggesting a single mother with a young child move into a house share- is completely nuts. First off- she is not going to find a houseshare where others are willing to countenance this.

Even if she didn't have a young child- you also mentioned- she'd be at home the whole time- as she works from home.........

She needs to rent somewhere herself. Her child- and her working from home- preclude from sharing. Its not something that is going to change- and neither are something that she should downplay when trying to rent- as they will home back to bite her if she does.

A young child needs their own space. A 1 year old- needs stair gates etc. A person working from home- needs office space and/or production space (I have a sister-in-law who decorates cakes as a side line- she has her own kitchen and facilities.

A houseshare- is a houseshare. The bedroom is the only private space. Housemates may have alcohol in the fridge (or elsewhere), will want to watch their own TV programmes in the sitting room, may want the odd barbeque or party, may have their own special events that they expect to have exclusive use of a kitchen for the day to prepare for etc etc etc.

Your sis needs her own accommodation. Housesharing will not work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

It may work with another single parent. However it will need to be another economically independent single parent, as Rent Allowance won't allow this. She could post on the parenting forum here, or on the single parent section of rollercoaster and magicmum.
    Can she not stay where she is and her ex partner move?

I don't even know how the idea got suggested to be honest. The working from home aspect itself would be big turn off for a lot of houseshares never mind the child aspect which is just never going to be accepted in a houseshare situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

I agree with all the comments above. I don't think anybody would choose to houseshare with a parent and child.On the flip side, I think this would be a crazy situation to bring a child into. We have a 14 month old.They need stability and routine and familairity with their surroundings. A houseshare coming and going with new faces would be confusing to them and trying to contain them within one room within a house would be impossible. They take over their entire living space, are bundles of energy and bring alot of mess with them :).
    Don't think the other house tennats would appreciate the 6.30 wake up calls either.I can understand that the OP's sister is in a difficult situation and it may be economically challenging to rent by herself but this idea is a non-runner imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A good few years ago I house shared with a single mother with a child. I didn't mine as it was not long after I moved out of my home and I just liked that it made the place feel more homely. It was dirt cheap though and it wasn't as if I was having house parties that would disturb the kid.

Advertisement