Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amsterdam?

Options
  • 13-06-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm thinking of moving to Amsterdam next year and I had a few questions I was hoping some of you could help me out with.

I've been getting varied opinions from friends and family about whether I should learn Dutch before heading over, or if English will suffice, what are your opinions? At the moment I'm learning the basics (used to live in The Netherlands when I was quite young, so brushing up on it a bit).
    Also, as I'm planning on doing a Masters there, which will be taught through English, fluency won't be required in the short term for jobs, etc. But just wondering, generally, would it be better to have a grasp of the language?

Any recommendations on areas to live in Amsterdam? Still deciding whether to go for University campus provided accommodation, or living more independently/more central.

Is it easy to meet people over there? Life in general in Amsterdam good/bad?
    & any other tips?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I've been living here two years now did MSc at the VU and just finishing that now (2 year course) and pursuing a PhD in Amsterdam in September.

To be honest learning Dutch depends on whether you plan to stay or not. I didn't know if I was staying so didn't set out to learn it and you can get on perfectly well without it. You just stay inside an international bubble.

If you want to try integrate more, and make Dutch friends it really is essential, but among alot of my international mates here the Dutch are notoriously hard to become close friends with.

I rented out an appartment in Uilenstede, 5 minutes from the university and was ok. Wouldn't live there for longer than a year/two years

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tunes

Thanks for the info shortys94, appreciate it!

I guess i'm not 100% sure if i'll stay there long term or not yet either - think i'll just wait to see how it goes once I get there. But, I might as well try learning some Dutch anyways.

Good to know that the Dutch are hard to become close friends with though, didn't even think of that. So i'm guessing the internationals tend to stick together then? I was hoping to have a mix of Dutch and international, but I guess it looks like it mightn't be!

Yeah, saw the Uilenstede accommodation as an option with the University alright, seemed to be where they had a lot of the international masters students. Just unsure about living in a student halls type environment - but on the other hand, I guess it is a great way of meeting other international students. What were your thoughts on living there though? & would you have any other recommendations for accommodation?

Hope you don't mind the questions! (:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Hey

Honestly, I really think its a great place to live for the first year, I had an amazing experience and met so many great friends, the thing is a lot of people move back home after they are finished so its a cycle of incoming and outgoing people and you need to make friends after that year with people who are more permanent.

I really would recommend Uilenstede for a good social experience for the first year, I wouldnt go for the cheapest option though regarding rent, some friends did that and they had to share bathrooms with 13 people, go for the private room and bathroom with shared kitchen. was great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I lived there for 8 great years. I worked there too. Amsterdam really is a transient place- people are always coming and going. The Dutch are so accommodating in translating for us blow-ins -it also gives them an opportunity to practice/improve their english. (In this regard, they put us to shame!)
    But.....it would be great to learn a little dutch - it will be very much appreciated by the dutch community and for you, it'll be that little thumbs up!

ahh, that's good to know, thanks Missyelliot2 (: i'll definitely start learning some dutch then!

would you have any recommendations on the best areas to live around Amsterdam when you lived there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

tunes wrote: »
    ahh, that's good to know, thanks Missyelliot2 (: i'll definitely start learning some dutch then!

would you have any recommendations on the best areas to live around Amsterdam when you lived there?

I can help there. Lived in Amsterdam for some time myself. It kinda depends on your price range and what you can get. It's a difficult market to find a gaff. Amsterdam Noord is a very underrated area. It's cheap and relatively central. You'd pay the same for a place in Osdorp, Diemen or Bijlmer which are relatively much further from town. Two minute ferry over the water from Buiksloterweg to Centraal station is free, takes about 2 minutes and runs 24/7.

Although, it does obviously depend where you're going to be based in the city for university.

Best area in the city to live is De Pijp, it's not cheap and affordable places going up there are like gold dust. I've lived all over the city and by and large most areas are fine and even the dodgy parts are nothing on dodgy areas over here.. Would probably steer clear of Diemen and Bijlmer though, they're a little sketchier but more than anything they're also very far out. Likewise with Osdorp, though it is more doable. Also consider your commute during the winter, an 8km cycle from the city centre to the far end of Osdorp or to Diemen will be pretty horrible in freezing rain and wind, or worse, snow.

Also,i can't stress this enough: GET A BIKE ASAP. It's pretty much mandatory while living there and getting around will be considerably easier afterwards. Get one second hand in a market or online or buy one down a side street at night (at your own risk, obviously illegal). Don't pay more than 50 for a bike in Amsterdam or you'll get pretty annoyed if/when it's robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

spiralism wrote: »
    Also,i can't stress this enough: GET A BIKE ASAP. It's pretty much mandatory while living there and getting around will be considerably easier afterwards. Get one second hand in a market or online or buy one down a side street at night (at your own risk, obviously illegal). Don't pay more than 50 for a bike in Amsterdam or you'll get pretty annoyed if/when it's robbed.

Rule of thumb is to buy a lock for twice the price of your bicycle.

Also don't think those wheel locks will stop your bike being stolen, they are super easy to open.

Living in NL 8 years and haven't had a bike stolen yet *touching every piece of wood visible*

Just to note, sometimes the cops dress up as hobos and try to sell you bikes

Rule of thumb is to buy a lock for twice the price of your bicycle.

Also don't think those wheel locks will stop your bike being stolen, they are super easy to open.

Living in NL 8 years and haven't had a bike stolen yet *touching every piece of wood visible*

Just to note, sometimes the cops dress up as hobos and try to sell you bikes

Rule of thumb is to buy two locks i found. Never got one stolen when i did that. Wrecked a few bikes cycling drunk though :o

Re the cops: i think thats entrapment. They do set up stings where they get one of the tramps to try sell you a bike and pull you up on it. Apparently. Never happened to me but i've heard of it happening and a lad i know got off very lucky.

I can help there. Lived in Amsterdam for some time myself. It kinda depends on your price range and what you can get. It's a difficult market to find a gaff. Amsterdam Noord is a very underrated area. It's cheap and relatively central. You'd pay the same for a place in Osdorp, Diemen or Bijlmer which are relatively much further from town. Two minute ferry over the water from Buiksloterweg to Centraal station is free, takes about 2 minutes and runs 24/7.

Although, it does obviously depend where you're going to be based in the city for university.

Best area in the city to live is De Pijp, it's not cheap and affordable places going up there are like gold dust. I've lived all over the city and by and large most areas are fine and even the dodgy parts are nothing on dodgy areas over here.. Would probably steer clear of Diemen and Bijlmer though, they're a little sketchier but more than anything they're also very far out. Likewise with Osdorp, though it is more doable. Also consider your commute during the winter, an 8km cycle from the city centre to the far end of Osdorp or to Diemen will be pretty horrible in freezing rain and wind, or worse, snow.

Thanks for all the info - really very helpful! I had actually heard about De Pijb area - which looks really nice, but like you said is just that bit pricey.

Also, good to know that Diemen and Bijlmer are a bit dodgy, as the main international/masters accommodation is based in Uilenstede which seems to be pretty close to those two areas you mentioned. & good point about that commute in the winter, i think that is my main concern with the university offered accomodation. Definitely gives me a good idea of what living there would be like/the surroundings areas.
    Lots to take in to consideration anyways - if only they had the student accommodation in De Pijp, i'd be sorted. Will definetly have a look into Amsterdam Noord, sounds like a good option.

Definitely plan on getting a bike as soon as I get there too, and multiple bike locks - as you and @keithclancy suggested. I'll also try to steer clear of hobos/tramps selling bikes too (:

Thanks for all the info - really very helpful! I had actually heard about De Pijb area - which looks really nice, but like you said is just that bit pricey.

Also, good to know that Diemen and Bijlmer are a bit dodgy, as the main international/masters accommodation is based in Uilenstede which seems to be pretty close to those two areas you mentioned. & good point about that commute in the winter, i think that is my main concern with the university offered accomodation. Definitely gives me a good idea of what living there would be like/the surroundings areas.
    Lots to take in to consideration anyways - if only they had the student accommodation in De Pijp, i'd be sorted. Will definetly have a look into Amsterdam Noord, sounds like a good option.

Definitely plan on getting a bike as soon as I get there too, and multiple bike locks - as you and @keithclancy suggested. I'll also try to steer clear of hobos/tramps selling bikes too (:

Diemen and Bijlmer are south east, Uilenstede is more Buitenveldert/Amstelveen which is grand and not really dodgy. Actually lived in the Rivierenbuurt for a few months which would be the district a bit north of it and it was fine. Still a serious trek from town though and comparable with a trek from Diemen or Osdorp, be advised. It's convenient to the #5 tram into town though which is useful as that's the one line its easily possible to fare doge on.

Is the accommodation provided near the campus you're on? Noord is a good option but Noord to Uilenstede or thereabouts is a serious trek. On the other hand if you're in a city centre campus, it's pretty grand. De Pijp is where everyone wants to live, ive had a couple of mates pull it off and get lucky on the facebook groups such as Amsterdam Apartments For Rent (join it btw). See what comes up, i must also warn you that it's a serious ordeal finding a place in Amsterdam and probably will be the most difficult thing about moving over.

I certainly didn't steer clear of junkies selling bikes, it was often very handy to me to pick up a bike for 20 euro or less. I would though advise some caution if you do go down that route. If not there's always the markets, facebook groups or marktplaats.nl for a second hand bike. Don't bother paying a few hundred euro for a bike from a shop.

• Advertisement

Diemen and Bijlmer are south east, Uilenstede is more Buitenveldert/Amstelveen which is grand and not really dodgy. Actually lived in the Rivierenbuurt for a few months which would be the district a bit north of it and it was fine. Still a serious trek from town though and comparable with a trek from Diemen or Osdorp, be advised. It's convenient to the #5 tram into town though which is useful as that's the one line its easily possible to fare doge on.

Is the accommodation provided near the campus you're on? Noord is a good option but Noord to Uilenstede or thereabouts is a serious trek. On the other hand if you're in a city centre campus, it's pretty grand. De Pijp is where everyone wants to live, ive had a couple of mates pull it off and get lucky on the facebook groups such as Amsterdam Apartments For Rent (join it btw). See what comes up, i must also warn you that it's a serious ordeal finding a place in Amsterdam and probably will be the most difficult thing about moving over.

I certainly didn't steer clear of junkies selling bikes, it was often very handy to me to pick up a bike for 20 euro or less. I would though advise some caution if you do go down that route. If not there's always the markets, facebook groups or marktplaats.nl for a second hand bike. Don't bother paying a few hundred euro for a bike from a shop.

Ah really? It just didn't look too far away on google maps, haha. Good to know it's an alright area though! But yeah, the main issue is the commute really. Uilenstede accommodation wouldn't be located near the campus i'd be studying on, i'd be based in the city centre campus, which just makes me that bit put off about having the commute in to the city centre campus. But it seems to be the main accommodation all international masters students get if they apply through the University. This is one of the main reasons I'm looking into other non-university provided accommodation really, as I'd like to just be that bit closer to where my lectures would be based to be honest.

I'll join that Facebook group anyways and see what pops up - but yeah, i've heard it's a very tricky accommodation market in Amsterdam alright. But hopefully i'll find something & if not, i'll go for the University accommodation.

Definitely don't plan on paying hundreds for a bike anyways, i'll probably just check out some markets and see what's on offer. Cheap and cheerful, with working brakes.

Ah really? It just didn't look too far away on google maps, haha. Good to know it's an alright area though! But yeah, the main issue is the commute really. Uilenstede accommodation wouldn't be located near the campus i'd be studying on, i'd be based in the city centre campus, which just makes me that bit put off about having the commute in to the city centre campus. But it seems to be the main accommodation all international masters students get if they apply through the University. This is one of the main reasons I'm looking into other non-university provided accommodation really, as I'd like to just be that bit closer to where my lectures would be based to be honest.

I'll join that Facebook group anyways and see what pops up - but yeah, i've heard it's a very tricky accommodation market in Amsterdam alright. But hopefully i'll find something & if not, i'll go for the University accommodation.

Definitely don't plan on paying hundreds for a bike anyways, i'll probably just check out some markets and see what's on offer. Cheap and cheerful, with working brakes.

It is a bit of a commute to be fair. Well then, if you're based in the city centre, try for Amsterdam Noord. You'll be no more than 10 minutes to the ferry, they run every 6 minutes during the day and every 12 minutes at night time. Free as well and the main one takes 2 minutes. Once you're off, youre already in town and no more than a couple of minutes away.

Try Kamernet.nl as well, though its a subscription to be able to contact ads posted on it. Consider subscribing then cancelling it after you're done. Be wary as well of suspiciously good deals on the facebook groups or kamernet, scams where the "landlord" claims to be out of the country and will post you the keys after being paid are quite common sadly. Also look nestpick as its protected against scams and works somewhat like the housing agencies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

In 16 years I lost count of how many times my bike was stolen, definitely not a good idea to spent more than EUR50 and invest in good locks. It's not as big a problem now as it used to be when there were far more junkies in the city centre, lots of them moved out some years back when the treatment centres were relocated outside of the city.

In 16 years I lost count of how many times my bike was stolen, definitely not a good idea to spent more than EUR50 and invest in good locks. It's not as big a problem now as it used to be when there were far more junkies in the city centre, lots of them moved out some years back when the treatment centres were relocated outside of the city.

I've had friends who've gone through 25+ bikes in a year and this was last year, it's definitely pretty bad still. Two decent locks can help a lot as well as avoiding certain areas (park in the streets near leidse or at handboogstraat next to disco dolly and you're asking for it a bit).

Lock it to something, get two locks, avoid those areas (the latter is where you'd get offered one at night incidentally if you were so inclined), park in busy areas with a good police presence. Warmoestraat is generally perfectly safe to park a bike for town as there's always cops about. Often parked the next street over opposite the front of the police station if i was up that way, they're never going to be that brazen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I've had friends who've gone through 25+ bikes in a year and this was last year, it's definitely pretty bad still. Two decent locks can help a lot as well as avoiding certain areas (park in the streets near leidse or at handboogstraat next to disco dolly and you're asking for it a bit).

Ironically if they are buying 25 bikes a year, they are probably the reason why their bikes are being stolen ;)

Ironically if they are buying 25 bikes a year, they are probably the reason why their bikes are being stolen ;)

Circle of life man. Way a lot of people, myself included saw it. If you got one nicked well you are supporting it by buying off them so ya cant get too mad.:pac:

Advertisement