Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC, DIT, UCC or Queens for Architecture?

Options
  • 13-06-2015 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I am currently doing my Leaving Cert exams and thinking about where to apply to next year. I hope to do Architecture, but would like some advice on which course would be recommended.

The courses I am looking to apply to are at DIT and UCD in Dublin, UCC/CIT joint course in Cork and Queen's in Belfast. I am not overly bothered about what city is the best, more which degree.

I was hoping somebody could tell me a bit about these different courses and which degrees are most highly recognised by potential employers? I notice the UCC/CIT course last year had a significantly lower points requirement. Is this because it is a younger course? Or is it less well recognised, less enjoyable or simply because more people are attracted to Dublin? Cork looks like a very nice city to me, though very very far away!

I am also wondering if UCD and Queen's would be better recognised as they are universities rather that institutes of technology?

So basically, if anyone could help me regarding which degree is 'best', I'd really appreciate it. By the way, I like the idea of working in the UK and abroad in the future if that makes a difference regarding degree recognition.

Thanks!
    Ryan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mayrocks7

Hi! late reply XD!

Well I study in DIT Bolton street and I'll try not to be bias.

UCD, DIT and Queens are all very well known for Architecture. If you say you graduated from any of them I'm sure architects will recognize them and wouldn't belittle one college from another. There are many well known architects that graduated from these college.

But I heared that Queen's Course is very hard and demanding ( well architecture is hard and demanding in general but this is worst apparently, I wouldn't know for sure because I don't go there)

UCD has a nice campus and rooms ( been there looks way better than here in Bolton) and they have their own shop for paper, leads and pencil in campus.

DIT I actually love the course! teachers are nice. We have our chill moment and panicky moments,
    OH we did construction skill class in 1st year. we dont have much exams and essay to write maybe one at the end of the year for a module but it mostly just drawing, designing and model making which you get graded through out the year. LOL ironic is our building (architecture department) isn't pretty

I think either one of those 3 college you should definitely pick for architecture they all build up reputation and are recognised by AAI.

Im not sure but I think UCC course is quite new.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The points requirements for each course are the lowest amount that someone got to get onto a course.

Eg. If Architecture in UCC is 300 then that means that a person(s) with 300 points was the lowest in the class to gain entry. There could have been a load of other 400-500 pointers in the class but that doesn't matter.

Conversely if there were 10 places for a course and 10 people applied and 9 people got 500 points and the tenth person got 200 then the points for the course would be listed at 200.

Points are just for a guide they are not gospel.

---

What I would recommend for you would be to do a load of research on each of the colleges and life therein. I don't know where you are in the country so I don't know how convenient things are to get to for you.

As regards the difficulty of courses as the poster above mentioned it's all relative:

Architecture in QUB is 3 years and will be condensed so the workload would be naturally higher.
    http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofPlanningArchitectureandCivilEngineering/Architecture/Undergraduate/K100/

Architecture in UCD is 3 years (with a follow-on of 2 years for the Masters)
    https://myucd.ucd.ie/course.do?courseID=70

Architecture in DIT is 5 years so projects etc will be spread out.
    http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/programmes/dt101/

---

I'm in Bolton St (studying Geomatics) and I couldn't recommend it highly enough for the quality of teaching. But I have had plenty of friends over the years who've studied various things in QUB and they love it.

If I was making the decision now myself to do Arch I would probably choose QUB over DIT and UCD but it's a hairs breadth between them.
    But that's just me.

Advertisement