Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will Manchester United next win the premier league?

• 14-06-2015 4:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Will next year be their return to the summit, will they settle in beside Chelsea and City and win one every couple of years of will they decline into not quite a mid table team but one that does not mount serious title challenges every year like Liverpool or Everton.

Personally I reckon UTD will win one or two of the next five, the dominance is over however they will not fade into nothingness but rather will always be a force.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well I would tell you but the temproal prime directive won't let me. You will just have to wait to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Team and squad need serious investment. After winning the CL in 2008 the team in terms of quality starting declining imo, credit to Ferguson for keeping the club so competitive. I think this summer alot of signings will be made, the club has already signed Depay who is a great talent. If you compare man for man the first 11 Chelsea vs United teams, only De Gea stands in par with what they have, and it looks like he's on his way out.

I don't think United will win the league for a few years, Mourinho is just too good and the rot that set into United will take considerable time to overturn. If he wasn't around I wouldn't bet against United vs Man City next season, but Mourinho has proven he doesn't mess around and is incredibly relentless, even more so than Ferguson when he dominated the PL with his first few seasons with Chelsea.

I'm a United fan and I'm just trying to be realistic. I love Van Gaals presence but I don't see it happening in the next 2 seasons and his contract unless Mourinho runs into Abramovich again. Top 2 and q/f of the CL would be a good season to build on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

When? Hopefully never!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Won't be long, within the next three seasons. They're capable of serious investment, every season. They could spend 75 - 100m each season if they had to. Eventually that'll get you titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Won't be next season despite What LVG says

If Chelsea strengthen well and buy a decent CB, winger and cover striker they'll win by a similar standard again imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Won't be long, within the next three seasons. They're capable of serious investment, every season. They could spend 75 - 100m each season if they had to. Eventually that'll get you titles.

You would have to think there's a good chance of this although if FFP stays "relaxed" it will be much harder.

You can just about buy the title if you keep spending, it was easier for City and Chelsea to do but you can still give it a good go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Maybe next year.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Maybe next year.

Think that's trademarked...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

They won't "do a United" and go 26 years without a title. They've too much money for that. But it's hard to look past Mou for the short term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Next year we'll be treble winners Giggsy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

You would have to think there's a good chance of this although if FFP stays "relaxed" it will be much harder.

You can just about buy the title if you keep spending, it was easier for City and Chelsea to do but you can still give it a good go.

Uniteds advantage is not so much in the transfer fees that they can pay but the salaries they can afford. In that respect, they have an advantage over Chelsea and City. If FFP relaxes then that advantage is less significant but they are still very strong. Ultimately, the amount you spend on wages gives you an indication of your place in the pecking order.

For that reason I se them winning a title in the next few years, though I have my doubts LVG will be the man to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Competition has never been tougher. I don't think they'll fall away and become a midtable team because they're setup very well financially. Winning 2 out of the next 5 however? I don't see it. 1 would be quite the achievement if you ask me with Chelsea and City sharing most of the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Depends on who they get as manager after LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Think United''s days of long term sustained success is gone. That stability of the same manager and the generation of players that came through the youth academy helped tremendously.

Today's game has changed and managers won't get season after season if they don't win trophies or finish where expected. Same way youth most likely won't be given the same chance on a large scale. When you spend 50 million on a player there has to be pressure to play him even if he isn't playing great. Plus look how many new players are being touted as signed this year. A complete overhaul nearly. Loads of players in, especially foreign lads has as much chance working out as it does failing. You'll get some good games or even great games but then under perform. Just look at City. Look great at times and then sometimes the players don't look interested. Same with Chelsea actually. I think once you get on the path of bringing in big players every year and changing your team. It's gonna be up and down. Some of the expensive foreign lads don't really care about the team deep down. Di Maria for example looked disinterested at times last year.

I'm sure United will win the league soon. But I doubt it will be followed by a successive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm quite worried for Man Utd. I have heard a lot of United fans being happy with 4th place last season. An absolutely appalling attitude than is sacrilege to everything Alex Ferguson build. If the standards and expectations from the fans have diminished then it will also filter through the club.

If they do not win a title in the next 2-3 years we will be looking at another Liverpool. We are already seeing more kids wear Chelsea, City and Spanish jerseys. United could be losing a generation of fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

At some stage they will because they have the financial means to do so. They don't have the team to do it right now, so how do you accurately predict what football is going to be like in 2/3 years when nobody really relies on their youth systems anymore? Its impossible.

I'm quite worried for Man Utd. I have heard a lot of United fans being happy with 4th place last season. An absolutely appalling attitude than is sacrilege to everything Alex Ferguson build. If the standards and expectations from the fans have diminished then it will also filter through the club.

If they do not win a title in the next 2-3 years we will be looking at another Liverpool. We are already seeing more kids wear Chelsea, City and Spanish jerseys. United could be losing a generation of fans.

Being happy with 4th place after finishing 7th isn't all that crazy. We have higher expectations for the season coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

. An absolutely appalling attitude

Would ya ever give over! Progress after big changes is worth celebrating, or at the least being satisfied.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine Utd will be challenging for the title sooner rather than later.

They have the resources so no reason why even next season they can't go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

In reality they're not even close to winning it, United were closer to dropping out of the top than coming top. Well over 200 million was spent in the past two seasons and yet united still look like they need 200 million more just to stay competitive with the big 3.

It'll be around 3-5 seasons before united will challenge again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Actually I find the entitlement attitude, as displayed above, appalling

Oranage2 wrote: »
    In reality they're not even close to winning it, United were closer to dropping out of the top than coming top. Well over 200 million was spent in the past two seasons and yet united still look like they need 200 million more just to stay competitive with the big 3.

It'll be around 3-5 seasons before united will challenge again.

You can't drop out of what you weren't in.

Arsenal finished a whopping 5 points ahead of this awful United side, hardly insurmountable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I think United are closer than people are saying so far. A bad start to the season last year and dropping poor points against weak opposition lead to the points gap. In theory this should be better next year with the side settled under LVG and some quality summer additions. Also players like Di Maria and Shaw actually showing what they can do.

I felt United were the better team when they played city and Chelsea in the last few months so there are encouraging signs there. A little bit unlucky with injuries going into that Chelsea game as well and still did well.

It all depends on the quality of signings got in over the summer but yeah Chelsea are not uncatchable and city have a lot of work to do themselves.

Basically if Rooney plays as a striker like he should and has a proper functioning midfield behind him it will make a world of difference.

With the right signings I expect a title challenge from Man Utd next season at the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

If united get the right players, we can win next season. As a united fan I was happy with 4th position because I know it's all about building a team and not buying a league like some teams do plus we actually played some exciting football. I'm more worried for the premiere league if Chelsea boring football becomes the standard to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

2018. Very little to no chance of it happening next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Everytime another team has come along that looks to set a dominance on the English game, United typically find a way back and break a cycle. Unfortunately that used to happen with SAF who seemed to be re-energised by a new rival/challenge and always found a way.

While the competition is in theory tougher then ever, doesn't seem to appear that way when the league is in play. One of the big four usually has issues early on that rules them out of the race, sometimes even two.

I don't forsee any massive "out in the wilderness" for United now, but depending on the forthcoming season, Chelsea could well lay down their domestic dominance with the rest chasing.

Although wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see United win the league next year.

A lot will depend on this window for all of the top 4. Chelsea have the least amount of work to do, with City really having a lot to do. Issue I always have with Mourinho is he rarely seems to manage his squad well, and is only ever a mini injury crisis from it all falling apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

JamboMac wrote: »
    plus we actually played some exciting football.

We did?

Is it not more accurate to say that we had 3 games of some nice football, 20 games of rather mundane play and about 15 games of utter crap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its the middle of June but if the season started tomorrow you can only go on what happened last year and I'd have them 4th favourites.

Theyve added Depay, thats a good start but they'll spend more and so will everyone else. They could win it next year, theyve a good manager and the resources to do it so its not impossible to think they could do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

It's tough to say but I don't think it'll be next season. There's still some glaring issues with their squad and even if they throw a lot of money at it again this summer I still don't think it'll be enough.

That being said I think Van Gaal is the ideal coach to have in charge at this stage of the rebuilding process. He's a manager who has the long term benefit of a club in mind. I like that he isn't simply trying to recreate what Ferguson did, an impossible task, he's got his own philosophy and it seeps down through the club from him. He will realize that this is a special case, a club essentially run by one man for over 20 years and that it'll take time for it to adjust to a different way of doing things.

They are putting together an excellent squad, though it needs work in certain areas, it's all being done with the Van Gaal philosophy in mind, and it's a club with remarkable wealth. I don't expect they will win it next season but really the season after that and beyond winning the league is a very attainable goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

JamboMac wrote: »
    If united get the right players, we can win next season. As a united fan I was happy with 4th position because I know it's all about building a team and not buying a league like some teams do plus we actually played some exciting football. I'm more worried for the premiere league if Chelsea boring football becomes the standard to follow.

Not buying a league ??? Utd have spent massively the past 18 months and will do so again this summer I'd imagine.

Advertisement