Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

(Actual) Dealers

• 14-06-2015 5:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

So most places in .ie that are 'Yamaha Dealers' or 'Honda dealers', etc. are anything from a regular bike shop with one or two new bikes showroomed down to literally a chap with a shed out the back of his gaff who'll order you a bike in off the catalogue.

Aside from BMW, are there actually any 'Main Dealers' in Ireland that would have a reasonable range from a manufacturer in showroom, offer test rides, and have reasonable levels of service? It seems these exist in the UK, but I know there's no comparison marketwise.

Thinking I'm going to have to actually ride the next bike I get first, and it seems impossibly hard when as a new full license holder, my options seem to be gambling on a bike I've never ridden, taking a mate's word for it, or buying a beemer...

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Solus dealers dont really exist for jap brands here. Honda tried it, it didn't work. The market is too small. And I doubt anywhere will let you test ride a demo new bike. Again, they don't exist. The sales of new bikes in this country has been so low over the last 7-8 years the distributors dont offer the kind of support (nor profit margins) to allow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Ya looking to change bike again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

goodlad wrote: »
    Ya looking to change bike again?

Not mad to do it, just the normal low level itch everyone has :-)

Might end up being a second bike, different type, and then change semi-regularly until I figure out what I like. Honestly it's a pain in the hole not having any way of riding different kinds of bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

From what I know McCallans are great for test drives. They will just give you the keys and off you go for a test drive.

Ya could also try narrow it down by posting a list of what it is your not liking about each bike you had so far. Owners if other bikes can tell you if they have the same issues or not or tell you pet hates about their own bikes.

Bandit 600 I found boring
    SV 1000 I hated the small tank range
    vstrom 1000 was perfect after some mods
    zx10r was a ****ing animal but kills after 30 minutes on it
    Blackbird is savage. No issue so far apart from looking hard to the right or left coming up on corners

GZ250 was weaksauce and I didn't own it :-)
    NT650 was too big and heavy and slow (and not A category so couldn't do the test on it)
    Diversion is grand, but seems a little underpowered and not sure I like the IL4 and having to rev the bollix out of it. Also no ABS.

Stuff I'd have my beady eye on would be a VFR800, V-strom (not sure which), Versys 1000, F800GT, MT-09 Tracer (although not sure I want to be buying new just yet). Not looking for a big auld litre sportsbike, but I want to try a few closer to it to make sure I'm not smelling **** thinking it's chocolate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

Last year I went to see a bike in CC's Unlimited in Kells. There was no problem taking the bike out for a spin, chap there just gave my the key. I asked if he wanted me to leave the key of my bike but he said to work away. I liked the bike but our prices just didn't match up so I didn't buy, but I would def recommend the shop, nice chap, great selection of bikes and I would go there again of something on stock caught my eye!

FWIW:,I probably overvalued my bike at the time, now I wish I'd done a deal!!

ratracer wrote: »
    Last year I went to see a bike in CC's Unlimited in Kells. There was no problem taking the bike out for a spin, chap there just gave my the key. I asked if he wanted me to leave the key of my bike but he said to work away. I liked the bike but our prices just didn't match up so I didn't buy, but I would def recommend the shop, nice chap, great selection of bikes and I would go there again of something on stock caught my eye!

Did your insurance cover it or did theirs? Don't think mine covers bikes other than my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

ratracer wrote: »

I have had a few bads experiences there tbh, last 2 times I went to test drive a bike with the latest just recently before I got the GSX both bikes where not road ready one no clutch cable and other brakes seized. Was told if bike bought it would be fixed LMAO.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    GZ250 was weaksauce and I didn't own it :-)
    NT650 was too big and heavy and slow (and not A category so couldn't do the test on it)
    Diversion is grand, but seems a little underpowered and not sure I like the IL4 and having to rev the bollix out of it. Also no ABS.

Stuff I'd have my beady eye on would be a VFR800, V-strom (not sure which), Versys 1000, F800GT, MT-09 Tracer (although not sure I want to be buying new just yet). Not looking for a big auld litre sportsbike, but I want to try a few closer to it to make sure I'm not smelling **** thinking it's chocolate.

The MT -09 Tracer is getting absolute rave reviews from all press quarters, meant to be a truely uber piece of kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    The MT -09 Tracer is getting absolute rave reviews from all press quarters, meant to be a truely uber piece of kit

And the MT-07. There is also a touring version of the MT-09 coming out.

• Advertisement

overlanders down in Gorey seem to have a tester, although dunno if they'd tell a new license to shag off. Might give them a ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

This is the bike I want to try out more than any other.
    I never bought a new bike in my life but I could nearly be tempted.
    Not sure I can wait a few years.

I'd say it's an absolute cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yamaha timed that engine series correctly, both the 7 and 9 versions.
    Clever of them to do that in the midst of a recession and then have these bikes ready for the rising market.
    When they first showed these they were talking about a whole range of bikes using this platform - Naked, and I would hazard a guess, adventure in due course.
    Their big selling point is that they aren't that expensive for the performance/handling.
    Honda have a new Africa Twin out soon 1000cc P-twin with a 270°crank have to wait and see what that will cost.

blade1 wrote: »
    This is the bike I want to try out more than any other.
    I never bought a new bike in my life but I could nearly be tempted.
    Not sure I can wait a few years.

I'd say it's an absolute cracker.

Great review of it in the new "BIKE" magazine....

Great review of it in the new "BIKE" magazine....

Afraid to read it in case I fall into the trap!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

What about m50 Honda? I'm currently takking to them about getting a new bike in early July.
    Hoping this weekend they will let me take the display one for a quick spin.

seamusk84 wrote: »
    What about m50 Honda? I'm currently takking to them about getting a new bike in early July.
    Hoping this weekend they will let me take the display one for a quick spin.

Lad who spins with us bought a VFR1200 off them, had a few repeated front end probs with it. Needless to say bike was sold on after 8mths.

They are fine with spins, I was out on a Versys 1000 from there.

Did you look into Lee Honda in Cork, fine place to deal with and bonus of a good spin home lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The Honda distributors in Ballymount sell motorcycles, lawnmovers and offboard boat engines and anything mechanical and Honda which isn't a car. They only sell Honda. I somehow don't think they do test drives, although some of the near empty industrial estate roads would be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

The Honda distributors in Ballymount sell motorcycles, lawnmovers and offboard boat engines and anything mechanical and Honda which isn't a car. They only sell Honda. I somehow don't think they do test drives, although some of the near empty industrial estate roads would be perfect.

And KTM ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

KTR1C wrote: »
    And KTM ;)

They are the nearest to a solus dealer I can think of. Redzone were Yamaha, but are gone these past few months. I don't like the Ballymount Honda too much. They wouldn't service my Magna.

• Advertisement

9995! :eek::eek::eek:

It's practically screaming 'COME AND GET ME'

http://www.donedeal.ie/view/8958751
    2015 YAMAHA MT-09 TRACER

blade1 wrote: »
    9995! :eek::eek::eek:

It's practically screaming 'COME AND GET ME'

http://www.donedeal.ie/view/8958751
    2015 YAMAHA MT-09 TRACER

TEST RIDING ONE THE WEEKEND....MWAHHHHHHH!!!!!

:P:P

:pac:
    5C684F0F-0A87-4230-96FD-7BBF27F53A1D_zpsjnaxivb0.jpg

Seriously tempted. A lot of wodge for something I might drop right after I get it, but sure if you think like that you can never have nice things (where was that justification thread again?)

Let me know what you think if it.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Seriously tempted. A lot of wodge for something I might drop right after I get it, but sure if you think like that you can never have nice things (where was that justification thread again?)

Let me know what you think if it.

You only live once!
    If you want it and you can get it, go for it!!!!!!!

Advertisement