Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builders finish extension cost

Options
  • 14-06-2015 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hello folks,
    Wondering if you could help me, we are building an extension soon and just looking for rough costs. i do not have plans drawn up yet for tender so if you could help me with a rough idea it would be really appreciated.
    The extension will be 2 story with kitchen/diner/utility downstairs with a lean-to sunroom off the kitchen. Upstairs will be a landing area with large bedroom/ensuite/walk in wardrobe.
    The original house is a basic square detached 2 story house and the proposed extension will extend to the side of the original house by 8 ft to give the house more bulk when viewed from the front as its a small (1250 sq ft) house.
    Extension size:
    25ft wide x 17ft deep rising to 2 story.
    Sunroom lean-to off of ground floor 15ft x 15ft
    Current landing window in original house to be converted to entrance into new upstairs landing where new bedroom will be accessed.
    Bedroom to have ensuite and window to rear.
    Skylight to be added to new landing as original window will be replaced with access door.
    Downstairs utility to have wet room/wc with backdoor to rear and a window.
    kitchen to have 5ft x x3ft window and 2 5ft x 2ft windows on their edge with no opes
    sunroom to have sliding patio door and 2 rooflights.
    original gas boiler to be relocated to new utility.
    original electrical panel to be relocated to new utility.

looking for a builders finish wired and plumbed. I could do the rest myself.
    Build is very straightforward - large site with access all around.
    I am based in kilkenny so dublin prices will not apply.

I have priced an architect to oversee to entire project from drawings,planning,tendering,assigned certifier,final sign off, basically everything to get it done for 6800 euro - is this competitive?

I am hoping to get all the building work done for 60k, is this realistic?

Many thanks in advance for replies.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

So 850ftsq for 60k

Excluding arch fees, planning contributions(over 40m2), assuming main contractor

I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

BryanF wrote: »
    So 850ftsq for 60k

Excluding arch fees, planning contributions(over 40m2), assuming main contractor

I don't think so

Thanks for the help..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

Is it 25x 17 two stories high plus the sunroom of 15x 15?

Think you need to scale back to suit your budget.

Any idea on ballpark figures?
    Thanks

manus30 wrote: »
    Any idea on ballpark figures?
    Thanks

You didn't answer my question.

• Advertisement

Sorry, yes those calculations are correct.

So it's 25x 17 ground floor plus 25x 17 second floor plus a 15x 15 sunroom

It's a pretty big one well over 1000 sq feet. 100 k minimum.

893bet wrote: »
    So it's 25x 17 ground floor plus 25x 17 second floor plus a 15x 15 sunroom

It's a pretty big one well over 1000 sq feet. 100 k minimum.

Min

Thanks for replies. Is the 100k just for a builders finish or complete?

Any ideas on how to reduce the cost to say 80k which would be my absolute max!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for replies. Is the 100k just for a builders finish or complete?

Any ideas on how to reduce the cost to say 80k which would be my absolute max!

Easy. Reduce the size of the extension.
    10% of your budget will be gone on planning and Assigned Certifier fees at least.

And that's before the possibility of the council insisting on SUDS or soakpit etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

or, if you have an older one, a new septic tank.

No septic tank - connected to mains.

As reccommended by yourselves i reduced the size a bit- ground floor footprint is now 14ft x 17ft rising to 2 story.
    Sunroom is 15ft x x14ft lean to.

Just spoke with a builder friend ( not quoting, just advising) who says that 80 euro per sq ft might be realistic as its a straightforward build. This would be for the structure, glass, wired and plumbed. Prob manage the rest myself.

80k should be achievable now?

As reccommended by yourselves i reduced the size a bit- ground floor footprint is now 14ft x 17ft rising to 2 story.

Just spoke with a builder friend ( not quoting, just advising) who says that 80 euro per sq ft might be realistic as its a straightforward build. This would be for the structure, glass, wired and plumbed. Prob manage the rest myself.

Can your builder friend do it for €80/Sq. ft?
    If not, why?

If a friend can't do it for that price, what hope have you got of a stranger doing it?

Does the 80k include planning and professional fees?

kceire wrote: »
    Can your builder friend do it for €80/Sq. ft?
    If not, why?

If a friend can't do it for that price, what hope have you got of a stranger doing it?

Does the 80k include planning and professional fees?

Friend lives too far away, wouldn't be fair on him.

Friend lives too far away, wouldn't be fair on him.

Does the 80k include planning and profession fees?

Does the 80k include planning and profession fees?
    No. I have a architect lined up who handles the entire process of plans, planning, tendering, assigned certifier, safety person, final sign off etc. and is charging 6500 plus vat.

No. I have a architect lined up who handles the entire process of plans, planning, tendering, assigned certifier, safety person, final sign off etc. and is charging 6500 plus vat.

So this is separate to the 80k?

Best of luck. Be interested to hear how you get on.

Does the architect fee sound ok?

Does the architect fee sound ok?

Sounds reasonable to me, especially for an all in job from start to finish.
    You will most likely have some extras on top of that, planning application fee, newspaper notice, OSi Maps, Commencement Notice fee etc

Sounds reasonable to me, especially for an all in job from start to finish.
    You will most likely have some extras on top of that, planning application fee, newspaper notice, OSi Maps, Commencement Notice fee etc
    + planning contributions

• Advertisement

Planning contributions are for new builds only as far as I know.

Planning contributions are for new builds only as far as I know.

And some LA's charge contributions for extensions over a particular size.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭halfforward

Hello folks,
    Wondering if you could help me, we are building an extension soon and just looking for rough costs. i do not have plans drawn up yet for tender so if you could help me with a rough idea it would be really appreciated.
    The extension will be 2 story with kitchen/diner/utility downstairs with a lean-to sunroom off the kitchen. Upstairs will be a landing area with large bedroom/ensuite/walk in wardrobe.
    The original house is a basic square detached 2 story house and the proposed extension will extend to the side of the original house by 8 ft to give the house more bulk when viewed from the front as its a small (1250 sq ft) house.
    Extension size:
    25ft wide x 17ft deep rising to 2 story.
    Sunroom lean-to off of ground floor 15ft x 15ft
    Current landing window in original house to be converted to entrance into new upstairs landing where new bedroom will be accessed.
    Bedroom to have ensuite and window to rear.
    Skylight to be added to new landing as original window will be replaced with access door.
    Downstairs utility to have wet room/wc with backdoor to rear and a window.
    kitchen to have 5ft x x3ft window and 2 5ft x 2ft windows on their edge with no opes
    sunroom to have sliding patio door and 2 rooflights.
    original gas boiler to be relocated to new utility.
    original electrical panel to be relocated to new utility.

looking for a builders finish wired and plumbed. I could do the rest myself.
    Build is very straightforward - large site with access all around.
    I am based in kilkenny so dublin prices will not apply.

I have priced an architect to oversee to entire project from drawings,planning,tendering,assigned certifier,final sign off, basically everything to get it done for 6800 euro - is this competitive?

I am hoping to get all the building work done for 60k, is this realistic?

Many thanks in advance for replies.

Can you pm me what Architect you are using?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 markqs

you now have 686sq.ft for a builders finish you will get it for €80/sqft = €55k
    an engineer will cost you say €3k
    assigned certifir another €1k

for just under €60k you will get a shell, nothing more, nothing less, this is all of course assuming that there is nothing too fancy in the specification.

if you add in furinshings, finishes etc it will cost you €105/sq.ft = €72k to sit back happy in your new extension.

it is achievable. sometimes you could make changes to the plans (aesthetically) ie change the specification of materials, cheaper solutions etc.

no adds thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

80 euro a Sq ft , all I can say is I wish , myself and my brother are pricing here in West clare for about 75 Sq ft and getting priced out of it by other guys doing it for around 55 to 65 per Sq ft , but it's hard enough to make money at 75 , I can't know how they're surviving

The QS that prices for us told me last week that he prices for a few builders and we are 1 of very few companies charging over 70 per Sq ft

So OP 80 per Sq ft is achievable but no one is getting rich out of that , only your builder paying wages and keeping a few lads employed

whupdedo wrote: »
    80 euro a Sq ft , all I can say is I wish , myself and my brother are pricing here in West clare for about 75 Sq ft and getting priced out of it by other guys doing it for around 55 to 65 per Sq ft , but it's hard enough to make money at 75 , I can't know how they're surviving

The QS that prices for us told me last week that he prices for a few builders and we are 1 of very few companies charging over 70 per Sq ft

So OP 80 per Sq ft is achievable but no one is getting rich out of that , only your builder paying wages and keeping a few lads employed

Just got some prices back for a builders finish. 840 sq extension very straightforward as described in my first post - prices from 155 to 170 per sq ft!!!!
    My Architect told me 4 months ago to be prepared for prices of up to 100 euro per sq ft! way off the mark.
    Celtic tiger back worse than ever.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 markqs

Just got some prices back for a builders finish. 840 sq extension very straightforward as described in my first post - prices from 155 to 170 per sq ft!!!!
    My Architect told me 4 months ago to be prepared for prices of up to 100 euro per sq ft! way off the mark.

the problem with your situation is economy of scale, if your dwelling was 1,000/sq ft it would probably be €130/sq/ft. if it was 1,500ft2 it would be €110/sq/ft. the builder still has to go through all the 'labours' to build a small and a big house and there is more 'down time' with building a smaller house i.e. a blocklayer can only lay so many courses of blocks in a day, if he was building a larger house he would have 100% continuity on site, however, an 840sqft dwelling he could have several 'half days work' which he will charge you/the builder for a full days pay.

Knew you were being told porkies by builder friends.
    I am always curious why friends can say it should cost this much to do a job and you ask them to do it and they say they can't.

Prices have gone up in the last 12 months alright both admin, red tape, and labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 chief80

Them quotes per square foot are way over the top For builders finish
    I'm doin one for 100 per square foot in north Wexford which is not too far away .
    The boys around u must be doin a few jobs in Dublin where that would be the going rate

Advertisement