Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Trouble in Little China remake/reboot/rejig

• 14-06-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

I love BTILC.

Think this remake actually could be good. So much room for madness.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I loved that movie, I'd say I watched it a half dozen times back in the early 90s. I wonder how it would fair out these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxWIqAnTw2I
    The cheque is in the mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

if this goes ahead theres no way itll have the charm and appeal of the original. I love the rock but I just cant picture him as jack burton. the original had such a great cast that all seemed to have great chemistry. a remake can only end up one way - being a steaming pile of sh!t

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd wonder if any remake would play up one of the subtler parts of the original, something that I only realised after it was pointed out to me later: Kurt Russell is the sidekick in Big Trouble, all the way though, but a sidekick who thinks he's the lead hero - quips, comebacks n' all. It's quite hilarious to watch the film again with that in mind, watching scenes where he's clearly the passenger to events but doesn't even doubt himself for a second :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd wonder if any remake would play up one of the subtler parts of the original, something that I only realised after it was pointed out to me later: Kurt Russell is the sidekick in Big Trouble, all the way though, but a sidekick who thinks he's the lead hero - quips, comebacks n' all. It's quite hilarious to watch the film again with that in mind, watching scenes where he's clearly the passenger to events but doesn't even doubt himself for a second :D

That was supposed to be subtle? I always thought that was the whole point of the movie.

Anyway, the original sadly hasn't aged too well and was never one of carpenter's best so as far as I'm concerned that makes it a good candidate for a remake.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I suppose the usual questions here are: All other things being equal will better special effects make this a better movie? Are all other things equal?
    I'd have to say no, some CGI won't add to a pretty much perfect performance from all the cast members. The Rock is wrong for the role too IMO, even though I do like him usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Normally when I hear of a remake like this, I go and watch the original at some stage.

Think I will leave this one and remember it the way I think it was.

I could be complete sh1te if I rewatch it now through the eyes of a 34 year old, compared to that of 6 or 7 year old when I saw it first and watch it again and again and again till I knew every line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd love if they just had the sense to leave this well enough alone. Big Trouble is such a great fun movie, so charmingly idiosyncratic and witty. The central joke of the "hero" really being a likable doofus who doesn't realise that he's the sidekick in what's actually someones else's adventure, is so clever that I'm glad it hasn't been repeated over and over and gone stale. It also made me appreciate that Kim Cattrall back in the day, as well as being smoking-hot, was a first class comedienne. The film was a pastiche of existing sources so I'd wonder about the final quality of the re-make, considering it would be a copy of a sorta-copy, in a sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I could actually see man of the moment Chris Pratt as Jack Burton :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kev W wrote: »
    Anyway, the original sadly hasn't aged too well

I watched it about a year ago & it held up very well I thought :confused: It's a product of its time, but just oozes with cult-charm & is a blast to watch, even today. I say that as a grown up version of a kid who knew every line in it :o

Advertisement