Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freeview & saorview help

• 14-06-2015 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a samsung UE40D5520RKXXU
    Is has dvt tuner for saorview and I believe uk freeview.

I have 2 UHF aerials on my house with powered mast head and diplexer to combine the uk UHF and Saorview UHF into one signal and have all the stations in the TV with out the need of a box.

I'm located in northwest co westmeath on high ground and can't pick up the UK Freeview channels.
    I was wondering what else I could do to have uk freeview. And saorview?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Presumably the power unit for the masthead amplifier is still in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭robclay26

Thurston? wrote: »
    Presumably the power unit for the masthead amplifier is still in place?

Yes

And, (assuming you have the TV country set to Ireland), you've looked at the bottom of the channel list (800 nos.) for the UK channels?

And, (assuming you have the TV country set to Ireland), you've looked at the bottom of the channel list (800 nos.) for the UK channels?

Yes,
    That's correct.

Is your aerial for Freeview pointing to Brougher Mtn. (Tyrone) or, Divis (Belfast, a long haul but a more powerful transmitter)?

• Advertisement

Is your aerial for Freeview pointing to Brougher Mtn. (Tyrone) or, Divis (Belfast, a long haul but a more powerful transmitter)?

I'm not sure, will have to look into this. Would need a meter to check signal?

There should be a signal quality display available on the TV, if you enter a frequency for manual tuning.

There is the possibility of interference between transmitters: Divis & Brougher share channels, & there are also co-channel relationships with ROI transmitters. (Castlebar & Mt. Leinster come to mind.)

It should be obvious which northern transmission site your aerial is pointed at, with Brougher roughly due north, & Divis northeast.

thanks for your help, I will be using Brougher for UK Freeview and Cairn hill in Longford for Saorview.
    Am located in Delvin in westmeath

Brougher has its PSB services on channels 22, 25, & 28 @ 20 kilowatts; commercial services are on 21, 24, & 27 @ 2 KW, & are co-channel with Divis PSBs @ 100 KW. Channel 25 carries the DVB-T2 Freeview HD services, which your TV may not be capable of receiving.

You're well away from Castlebar (chs. 22 & 25), but the transmitter site is pretty high up, so could make a nuisance of itself over a wide area, though the power is only 2 KW.

Anyhow, channel 28, carrying the BBC services should be clear, so if you're not getting anything there, that isn't a co-channel interference-related problem. I don't know what NI reception is like in your area: did you ever get Freeview, or decent analogue pictures?

Brougher has its PSB services on channels 22, 25, & 28 @ 20 kilowatts; commercial services are on 21, 24, & 27 @ 2 KW, & are co-channel with Divis PSBs @ 100 KW. Channel 25 carries the DVB-T2 Freeview HD services, which your TV may not be capable of receiving.

You're well away from Castlebar (chs. 22 & 25), but the transmitter site is pretty high up, so could make a nuisance of itself over a wide area, though the power is only 2 KW.

Anyhow, channel 28, carrying the BBC services should be clear, so if you're not getting anything there, that isn't a co-channel interference-related problem. I don't know what NI reception is like in your area: did you ever get Freeview, or decent analogue pictures?

Thanks for all the info.
    No, I only moved to the area and didn't want to go with sky. Plenty to watch on the freebies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

robclay26 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info.
    No, I only moved to the area and didn't want to go with sky. Plenty to watch on the freebies :)

No one has to go with sky. Ever heard of Freesat?

winston_1 wrote: »
    No one has to go with sky. Ever heard of Freesat?

Yes, but you would have to use a box or can you combine the freesat signal with saorview with a diplexer and split the signal to each tv?
    This is why I like the 2 UHF aerial option, you can combine the 2 UHF signals and split it to each tv and no decoder box needed

The terrestrial option will only work if there is a good enough signal available at your location, & the aerial system is properly specced, & in good enough condition to deliver what the receiver needs.

So in the absence of a separate aerial for signal-testing purposes, it's a case of checking over the already installed system for faults yourself (dodgy connections, cables, wind/water damage etc.) or getting someone in to take a look. I don't know if professional installers in that part of the country would still bother with terrestrial from NI at all.

Advertisement