Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What funny/incorrect ideas did you have about the world when you were a kid?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

I used to think the world was in black and white before i was born

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

We were told there was a puddle near the bus stop at my Grans that was bottomless...we were terrified of it.

I lived with my great grandfather and two miles from my Grandad. I called both Grandad and they looked alike. I was convinced they were the same person, he lived with us and then he ran to my Nans to be there when we arrived.

Banshees lived on top of the local industrial building, if you seen them you would die. So I would grab my Dads hand when walking by and keep my eyes closed.

We lived in Dublin, Dublin is the capital of Ireland therefore it was in the centre of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

When I was a young kid I used to think that cats were female dogs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PremiumCola

I used to think teachers lived in the school. Like they just hid all their clothes and stuff before we showed up. I used to snoop around the classroom looking for their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I believed that Kilkenny people didn't have any accent. We spoke normally, and everyone else had weird accents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 greeneyes29

I used to think that London was in Ireland. I also was led to believe Elbow Grease was an actual 'thing' , not just a saying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Used to think the moon changed shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I thought the government was one person. I pictured a scary judge like man that, kind of like the judge in 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I used to think the world was procedurally generated. When I was in my house, that was the entirety of the universe and when I'd go into town or whatever, it'd just 'pop' into existence for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I remember being surprised that flights had timetables - like trains and that the day's flightplan wasn't just set up individually each day seperately

• Advertisement

Parachutes wrote: »
    I used to think the world was procedurally generated. When I was in my house, that was the entirety of the universe and when I'd go into town or whatever, it'd just 'pop' into existence for me.

That's a belief system I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

mansize wrote: »
    That's a belief system I think

You could be on to something there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aoife Nic L

If you twisted your belly button too far round when you were washing in the bath, your arse would fall off.
    That live herring fish swimming around looked like kippers,
    First time I saw a black person I thought their head was rotten. I'd heard a story of a man who'd had to have their foot cut off cos it had gangrene and went black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

My family moved to the states when I was a child. I had never seen a black person before and when I did, I was convinced they were made of chocolate.

We were on a bus when a black guy got on and I kept saying to my mother 'Look, a chocolate man!' She tried frantically to get me to shut up, but the black fella just looked over and said 'I've been called worse.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I used to think that cats and dogs were the one species. Dogs were male, cats were female.

• Site Banned Posts: 3 genericspin

That you go to one or two classes and then you're good at something.

Very disappointed after my gymnastics class.

I remember the ma saying 'we go back again' or something, to my question of why I wasn't doing somersaults yet - felt completely ripped off.

AGAIN ? ...what ... how many times. But I just did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,915 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That the weather man decided the weather and he was a bastaard if it rained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I thought teachers knew everything about anything until I went into secondary school and seen the maths teacher copy the sums from the book and write them on the board.
    I knew something wasn't right.

I thought crab apples were baby apples and I was frustrated for a few years of my life because the ones across the road weren't getting bigger.

I thought skeletons were a different species altogether,until Yvonne told me when I die I'll rot into a skeleton.
    It scared the hell out of me.
    Lol I think she's in the NYPD now lol

I also thought my grandmother was there forever,and always existed.

Thought getting healed was someone stomping on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

That Northern Ireland was an identical Ireland only upside down and of course north of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Root13

I believed, rain was Gods' pee-pee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

I thought teachers knew everything about anything until I went into secondary school and seen the maths teacher copy the sums from the book and write them on the board.
    I e.

when i was about 8, a teacher from the yard sent me to the staff room at lunch time for something.

When I got there, the room was a cloud of smoke and I was shocked to see the teachers puffing away because "smoking is wrong" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I honestly believed that the reason the palms of black people's hands are paler is because the "black" rubs off as they handle things.

I also believed that grown-ups didn't need to go to the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

As a kid, I always took a running jump into bed, in case there was anybody under my bed, who would grab me by the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

As a small child I used to think that a fax machine transported the sheet of paper, star trek like, and couldn't understand why the technology wasn't used for more than paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    As a small child I used to think that a fax machine transported the sheet of paper, star trek like, and couldn't understand why the technology wasn't used for more than paper.

My dad use to pretend with me that our microwave was like a star trek replicator.

We got star trek stickers free in the cereal or something and we stuck the star trek logo in the corner of the microwave/replicator :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tappman

That the weather man decided the weather and he was a bastaard if it rained.

Exact same belief. I thought he was always making it rain in the west and giving better weather to Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

if i hurt my knee or arm and was given an aspirin, before i took it i would hold it to my knee or arm or wherever hurt so it would know where to go to once inside me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

fizzypish wrote: »
    I used to think that cats and dogs were the one species. Dogs were male, cats were female.

Me too. I also thought that no one else could be that stupid:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I used to think the people on TV could see me! Very scary!

Advertisement