Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dublin bus, biggest joke

• 14-06-2015 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live in Lucan and work in Citywest. Need to give my car for service and thought I will take the bus to work.
    Total distance is 8 kms.
    As per google maps..it will take 1hr 20 mins if I walk and 1 hr 15mins if I take the bus. I have to go from lucan to city centre and then take another bus from there.
    So much for public transport. How do they expect us to use public transport if the routes are like this.

absurd!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Cycle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I hope you're not over 6 foot or you won't fit in most of the seats either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

If it bothers ye that much,just walk ffs!
    I'd imagine the bus takes a less direct route to your job than the walking route,picking up many others etc,its public transport, that's how its works,want someone to take you exactly where you want?taxi....
    Dublin bus is a decent service for the most part,be thankful it's improved as much as it has,it's lightyears away from what it was when 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Resign from work. That'll teach Dublin bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's the same throughout the country. If you want to get from A to B you have to go through D(ublin)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Joke thread is elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Yes the bus service should have a direct route to anywhere you want to go. It is an absolute outrage that there is not.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Yes the bus service should have a direct route to anywhere you want to go. It is an absolute outrage that there is not.
    Lucan is a big area. Citywest is an area of huge employment. There is a near enough direct route from Lucan to Citywest with a bus lane the whole way in both directions.

So you are right. It is an outrage there is no service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Don't be so ridiculous , you and I both know that's not feasible. For example I want to go for a slash in my neighbours garden , yet no bus is available for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dublin Bus is a poor service if you need to get anywhere quickly. Generally cycling or even running is quicker if you are on anything other than a direct route. Blame bad city planning and low population density I guess.

• Advertisement

Don't be so ridiculous , you and I both know that's not feasible. For example I want to go for a slash in my neighbours garden , yet no bus is available for that.

That also is an outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

OP hasnt seen the prices yet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

suave.4u wrote: »
    Hi,

I live in Lucan and work in Citywest. Need to give my car for service and thought I will take the bus to work.
    Total distance is 8 kms.
    As per google maps..it will take 1hr 20 mins if I walk and 1 hr 15mins if I take the bus. I have to go from lucan to city centre and then take another bus from there.

Is there a reason why you couldn't get the 66/67 to Heuston and Luas to Citywest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Riamfada wrote: »
    OP hasnt seen the prices yet?

I just say €1.25 ; p

Even the bus driver doesn't know what the fare should be!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

How do they expect us to use public transport if the routes are like this.

How do I know to answer a question if you don't use a question mark? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Hi,

Total distance is 8 kms.
    So much for public transport. How do they expect us to use public transport if the routes are like this.

absurd!!

The bus? Not so suave now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I've yet to read a decent joke.
    Poor show OP; I've been waiting over 1 hour 20 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I've yet to read a decent joke.
    Poor show OP; I've been waiting over 1 hour 20 minutes!
    Teacher asks the class what was the name of Robin Hood's female companion. Wee Johnny puts up his hand, 'It's Trudy Glenn, miss'. Teacher looks puzzled. 'Are you sure it isn't Maid Marian Johnny, where did you hear that?'

Johnny stands up, puffs out his chest and starts singing

Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding Trudy Glenn . .

Anyone that complains about Dublin Bus services have never lived in the countryside and have had to put up with Bus Eireann intercity/rural services. Often times buses arrive 15 minutes late (if you're lucky) or don't arrive at all when scheduled.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Lucan is a big area. Citywest is an area of huge employment. There is a near enough direct route from Lucan to Citywest with a bus lane the whole way in both directions.

So you are right. It is an outrage there is no service.

How many other direct bus routes from largeish dublin suburbs to citywest would you propose (blanch, tyrellstown, stillorgan, dun laogahire)? How about from areas further out like Kildare or newbridge or is Lucan special in some way? How about Bray and Greystones as well as they also have big populations.

If your criteria for a viable bus service is connecting every largeish population base directly with every possible place people in said place might work we would have a lot of buses on the road.

Should we have direct routes from lucan to every other medium sized industrial park/office centre? Also from every other medium sized suburb?

Do you think all this would be reasonable or does it sound like it sounds to me to be a little bit much to expect. Having to get 2 buses to your place of work is really not that big an inconvenience.

• Advertisement

How many other direct bus routes from largeish dublin suburbs to citywest would you propose (blanch, tyrellstown, stillorgan, dun laogahire)? How about from areas further out like Kildare or newbridge or is Lucan special in some way? How about Bray and Greystones as well as they also have big populations.

If your criteria for a viable bus service is connecting every largeish population base directly with every possible place people in said place might work we would have a lot of buses on the road.

Should we have direct routes from lucan to every other medium sized industrial park/office centre? Also from every other medium sized suburb?

Do you think all this would be reasonable or does it sound like it sounds to me to be a little bit much to expect. Having to get 2 buses to your place of work is really not that big an inconvenience.

Why build a 2 lane road plus a bus lane from Lucan to Citywest, and not have a bus service?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

1hr 15 min to go 8kms? In the 21st century? That is a failure of a public transport system by any standard and neccesitates private transport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

OP's problem isn't the bus service: it is that he has chosen to live in the wrong place in relation to his place of employment - or work in the wrong place in relation to his place of residence.

OP's problem isn't the bus service: it is that he has chosen to live in the wrong place in relation to his place of employment - or work in the wrong place in relation to his place of residence.

What, 5 miles away from his job? Get real.

It's not the distance that matters, when you're relying on public transport what is most important is how good the services are.

If you want the option of using public transport, distance isn't the issue: routing is.

It's not the distance that matters, when you're relying on public transport what is most important is how good the services are.
    If you want the option of using public transport, distance isn't the issue: routing is.

Lads, this is the problem the OP has. It's what he originally posted about.

To put it in context, there's a train station at Adamstown going to Intel. There are buses going from Lucan to Intel. But nothing going to Citywest. Why is that?

Lads, this is the problem the OP has. It's what he originally posted about.

To put it in context, there's a train station at Adamstown going to Intel. There are buses going from Lucan to Intel. But nothing going to Citywest. Why is that?
    Probably because Dublin Bus have looked at the numbers and decided that there is insufficient demand. One person wishing that there be a service for a day or for a few days is not enough to support a service.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    1hr 15 min to go 8kms? In the 21st century? That is a failure of a public transport system by any standard and neccesitates private transport

Ah now, not every two points in Dublin can be directly connected by a bus route it is just not feasible and the alternate is to generally have to travel from the suburbs into the city and then back out. I hr 15 minute commute by public transport is not really that bad in my mind. The alternatives are get yourself a car or a bike. is it 8kms? I would have thought it was a bit further also?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Try the commenting and transport forum OP.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=246

Have a look for more appropriate forums before posting in future please.

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement