Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris/Barcelona Marathons:- Differences plz

Options
  • 14-06-2015 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Completed the Barcelona Marathon in March this year and am getting the urge for another next year. The Barca one blew my mind , found it an unbelievable experience.....weather, scenery, even the running surface was amazing. Im thinking it might be hard to beat.
    Anyway I was looking at the Paris one next April and was curious as to anybody with experiences in running both and if they had opinions on good/bad (if any) on each individual race e.g. which did they prefer and why

Thanks

Richard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bruz82

Or if anyone has any opinions good / bad on Paris alone would be helpful.
    I heard/read some areas of the course might have bottlenecks , not good for people going for P.B.'s

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

Bruz82 wrote: »
    I heard/read some areas of the course might have bottlenecks , not good for people going for P.B.'s

Done both, PB in Paris in 2014, I would have it ahead of Barcelona. Sign up

My race report can be found here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057120534&page=6

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Bruz82 wrote: »

Paris is a fairly flat course (apart from some sharp down-and-ups for underpasses along the river in mile 16) and once the race starts the huge field is well-managed in wave starts and a wide route. Any bottlenecks I remember were due to temporary roadworks, and the course seems mostly the same as the years I did it.

Things to be aware of are the potential heat (the first year I did it, by midday the temperature was mid-20s and sunny), the discarded orange peels on the ground at water stations (a real slipping hazard) and the lack of support along the course compared to London or Dublin, especially in the last few miles.

In general I'd say it's good for PBs. I got a long-standing PB there and went close another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bruz82

Cheers for the tips guys......
    Great read Jmcmen, I think a lot of it depends of the time you get and if you achieve your goal. I achieved mine in Barca and was over the moon, hence what I thought it was amazing. Do you recommend taking the gels before the race then ??

Run and Jump:- I usually would have the music on for the last few miles so don't tend to hear the support even tho I can see it. I suppose it would be nice but not a "deal-breaker". I would be going for a PB myself.
    Thanks all

Advertisement