Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heroin use on my Doorstep

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Dr_Bill wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Dublin city centre seems quite bad in recent times with junkies around the streets.

If it is not junkies it seems some people find it perfectly accepted to urinate in public in doorways etc. its disgusting, welcome to Irish society!

That is hardly an Irish thing, you see revelers peeing on the street in any city late at night.

Although I agree, there should be an on the spot fine for littering/urinating on the street - €250 at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Im always amazed at how our city centre is plagued with junkies unlike any other major cities...

Eh.. what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

InTheTrees wrote: »
    ??

They didn't shoot them all in new York.

??

nyc is an interesting example…”zero tolerance” can work…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

nm wrote: »
    Eh.. what?

there just seem to be so many junkies in dublin…the difference between dublin and pretty much every other (european) city i have seen in recent years is that in dublin junkies, beggars and all sorts of scumbags basically dominate the look and feel of large parts of the inner city…in most other cities they are confined to a few hotspots…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Common as hell to see Dublin's drug addict banging up in broad daylight. I wouldn't agree with some other poster saying they are harmless. If you ever have to get a bus from westmorland street you will know how agressive some of the begging is. Strangely haven't had the same amount of hassle on O'Connell street or dame or other city centre bustops.
    Hope you settle into your new place OP. Best way to deal with the aggressive begging is a blunt no, before they open their mouths.

• Advertisement

Ill say it again.THIS IS NOT NEW YORK.They didn't solve the problem in New York,they just moved it.Sure you'll often see people on this forum with all the answers,a popular one is to move all the clinics out to the suburbs,problem solved eh?Wrong.Plenty of addicts get their phy in the suburbs and head straight into town to beg or whatever else they get upto.

It's close enough. We have drug deals occurring IN OPEN. DURING THE DAY. IN OUR TOURIST AREAS. Do you think that is OK? I was once on a bus, on the top floor, and saw that there were two people shooting up in a car park of the city council building. They were getting high in a government building. A junky got decapitated under a bus during the height of Christmas. The Junkies walk around in public, off their faces in front of tourists. In front of families.

Are you telling me that all of this isn't bad? There needs to be a zero tolerance policy in the main tourist areas.

It's so odd how many people choose to remain ignorant and, instead, try to convince me that there isn't a problem. Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Lux23 wrote: »
    That is hardly an Irish thing, you see revelers peeing on the street in any city late at night.

Although I agree, there should be an on the spot fine for littering/urinating on the street - €250 at the very least.

Slightly off topic, but as bad as peeing in public is, I don't think it's fair to introduce a fine (especially if the pee-er has at least tried to use a quiet lane rather than a main street) until you put public toilets in place. I never understood why Ireland in general and Dublin in particular doesn't have them, but from this thread it sounds like they'd just be used for injecting drugs!

I believe there used to be loads of public toilets around the place, but they were pretty much all shut down when the drugs problem became worse. If I'm right, some of them had absolutely beautiful designs on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Augme

It's close enough. We have drug deals occurring IN OPEN. DURING THE DAY. IN OUR TOURIST AREAS. Do you think that is OK? I was once on a bus, on the top floor, and saw that there were two people shooting up in a car park of the city council building. They were getting high in a government building. A junky got decapitated under a bus during the height of Christmas. The Junkies walk around in public, off their faces in front of tourists. In front of families.

Are you telling me that all of this isn't bad? There needs to be a zero tolerance policy in the main tourist areas.

It's so odd how many people choose to remain ignorant and, instead, try to convince me that there isn't a problem. Really?

That's because those people(me included) don't see it as a big problem. I couldn't give a **** if a junkie wants to wander around the streets high. It doesn't bother me and he doesn't stop me doing what I want. The last thing I want to happen is for the Guards to waste their resources rounding up every junkie who is high and arresting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I believe there used to be loads of public toilets around the place, but they were pretty much all shut down when the drugs problem became worse. If I'm right, some of them had absolutely beautiful designs on them.

Cant remember too much of the designs, but there used to be public toilet among other place in various places in Dublin, including St Stephen Green in the park, a penny saw you into the toilet in the 80's :confused:, On O'Connell street itself in the centre island. The junction of pearse and College green.
    I remember Maynooth having toilets just off the main street(not dublin), which were known as "the thing".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Most other European Countries have public toilets with staff and you pay a fee to use the toilets, 50c or something like that.

This prevents hammered people or junkies using the facilities, ensures they are clean and well maintained and not used for anything else.

Also if we provided injection rooms, and moved the needle and methadone clinics out of the city centre this would be a big start.

I see no need to provide junkies all the facilities they need right in the city centre. They travel in on public transport in the morning and stay using and dealing in the city centre all day. Personally I have seen them attack people unprovoked on the Luas, drop needles on buses and on the Luas, and on the street. It's absolutely disgusting and I have not seen it to the same degree in other places I have lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I think if there was more funding in social services, abortion was legalised and more educating regarding drugs from a very early in schools would go along way

Junkies breed and then they let their children do as they please as their parents are either dead, off their face, in prison or whatever. Their kids have no chance in life.

The social services here is undermanned and on reduced budget. If these kids were put into care/foster homes with proper stability and love, would have a better chance than watching their parents shoot up

if abortion was legal over here, it would offer one solution to some who blatantly dont want to be parents.

sterlization would be another alternative too for junkies can be temporary or permanent. Im not bothered.

Also provide testing when going for your social welfare payments, dirty and you get your benefits reduced.

reducing or cutting benefits might lead to the argument then that they will commit more crimes, but they are doing that anyway

Advertisement