Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Advice

Options
  • 14-06-2015 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi to all reading this. I am 26 and about to start my 3rd year of college in September. It was originally a 3 year ordinary degree.. But have now changed it to a 4 year honours with a work placement, they have giving us students the option weather to jump onto the new course in September which would mean doing 2 more years rather than the 1

My whole goal here is to go to oz or Canada after college to cut my teeth, get experience, see how others live.

The fact that im 26 Im more leaning to bail after next year with an ordinary degree, I have work experience but not relevant whatsoever to my degree. I just want to get on with my live an egar to leave my current environment.

Am I crazy not to do the extra year for what I want?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

Do you like your college course and do ya see it as a future career?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Do you like your college course and do ya see it as a future career?

Its ok its not like I have a passion yet Its very broad.. Business and IT so id say id be happy to have a go at most entry jobs bar finance or programming which I didn't particularly like

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

Am I crazy not to do the extra year for what I want?

ya.

for an extra year you get an honours degree (you want to be an immigrant ? well the better the qualifications you hold, the better your chances of occupying nicer positions)

and you get relevant work experience (you said you have none relating to your degree).

you're only 26, so it's not going to make any difference to visas or employability or some such.

most of your reasoning for wanting to leave (change of environment) should be addressed or at least helped by the work experience segment anyway.

Hard to believe that you would want to immigrate with a lesser degree and absolutely no relevant work experience for that degree, as opposed to an honours degree with work experience ....

seriously, imagine yourself in Canada assessing a big stack of applications from a long list of paddys... on paper at least, who do you think would be more likely to score the interview (if not the job) ?

even if you don't give a **** about working, the degree etc, you've already put 3 years of your life into this (or at least, you're on the cusp of doing so) ...1 more won't kill you and I'm sure it will stand you in good stead.

but I'm just a stranger on the internet, so do what you like : )

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

but I'm just a stranger on the internet, so do what you like : )[/quote]

thanks for your input i appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

SameHorse wrote: »

Hard to believe that you would want to immigrate with a lesser degree and absolutely no relevant work experience for that degree, as opposed to an honours degree with work experience ....

This is good advice, for the sake of a bit of extra time, you will open up more doors in life. Practical experience is invaluable also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement