Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any Irish persons left in Ireland?

• 14-06-2015 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Since I arrived in Ireland it feels like I have arrive in Poland, I only hear Polish blahblah in combination with bad English.

In stores, talking polish to other people but seems to be bad in English, people only being friendly if the other person is also polish.

How did the people of Ireland ever accepted this situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Accept it?

Probably because we aren't ignorant gowls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

We all moved to America bro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Asmooh wrote: »
    Since I arrived in Ireland it feels like I have arrive in Poland, I only hear Polish blahblah in combination with bad English.

In stores, talking polish to other people but seems to be bad in English, people only being friendly if the other person is also polish.

Ah sure it's grand, wouldn't worry about it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Poles are only a tiny percentage of the population, where are you living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Seeing as you are also an immigrant, maybe you are as much a part of the "problem" as they are.

For what it's worth, whenever I am back in Ireland...it's still mostly Irish people there...perhaps you need to take your ignorance elsewhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

I confirm that I am Irish, and I am in Ireland right now.
    So that's one anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Stheno wrote: »

Little Polski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Have you seen their Wimmins?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Little Polski

Sounds like it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Accept it?

Probably because we aren't ignorant gowls?

You were expecting alot more thanks for that post weren't you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Most of us take people as we find them, the cnut to daycent ratio is exactly the same amongst the Irish, the Poles, and wherever it is your from yourself OP. :)

They've all moved to Australia.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Probably do their shopping in the local Polish shop for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Seeing as you are also an immigrant, maybe you are as much a part of the "problem" as they are.

For what it's worth, whenever I am back in Ireland...it's still mostly Irish people there...perhaps you need to take your ignorance elsewhere...

I was asked to come over here because they needed someone with some native languages, we are used to Polish people on the "mainland" of europe and they are nothing more but trouble.
    Leixlip
    5starpool wrote: »
    Probably do their shopping in the local Polish shop for a start.

How about food stores like spar or lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Immigrant complains about the number of immigrants.

Ireland 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Try shopping in another, non-polish, store. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Probably because we don't generally have any 'klan' like tendencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I was asked to come over here because they needed someone with some native languages, we are used to Polish people on the "mainland" of europe and they are nothing more but trouble.

Leixlip

You serious with this sh1t dude? :eek:

If I didn't recognise your posts from the motors forum I would think you are purely here to troll.

Immigrant complains about the number of immigrants.

Ireland 2015.

EU vs something that should not even be in the EU in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Leixlip

How do you know that each one of them weren't asked to come over like yourself, or are doing jobs that Iriah people don't want.

Or are they just not the right "kind" of immigrant for your tastes.

To be honest, if you don't like how Ireland is, I suggest you leave. There are plenty of others willing to fill your spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

You talk about bad English then come out with your last line......

Big Nasty wrote: »
    You serious with this sh1t dude? :eek:

If I didn't recognise your posts from the motors forum I would think you are purely here to troll.
    To be honest, if you don't like how Ireland is, I suggest you leave. There are plenty of others willing to fill your spot

Was just a question / wondering, and guess so.. if they match the same language requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

We needed them to to the jobs that the likes of you'd be incapable of doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Odpieprz się.

Only Ireland, Sweden and the UK fully opened up their labour markets to Poland and the other nine accession states in May 2004. The rest opted to impose a work permit scheme. Hence why there are so many here now and they are largest minority group in the state with 122k resident as per the census 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Why shouldn't they be in the EU?

I'd take a Pole for a day footing turf over a Spaniard or a Greek anyway. :P

Why shouldn't they be in the EU?

I'd take a Pole for a day footing turf over a Spaniard or a Greek anyway. :P

Greece will be kicked out the EU soon anyway (at least if they think in Brussels)
    Based on the situation at the mainland, all criminality went up since eastern europe joined the EU.

Only Ireland, Sweden and the UK fully opened up their labour markets to Poland and the other nine accession states in May 2004. The rest opted to impose a work permit scheme. Hence why there are so many here now and the largest minority group inthe state with 122k resident as per the census 2011.

I lived in Sweden, believe me people are not really happy with the situation but the government does not care what people think.

Where are you from op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Out of curiosity, where are you from? What is your own nationality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

we are used to Polish people on the "mainland" of europe and they are nothing more but trouble.

Apart from one Polish woman I worked with who was quite frankly an ignorant bitch, although I don't think that had anything to do with her being Polish, my own experience of Poles in Ireland has been overwhelmingly positive. Same goes for any Latvians, Lithuanians, Romanians, etc., that I've had dealings with. So perhaps you could clarify how the Polish people are so much trouble?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    We needed them to to the jobs that the likes of you'd be incapable of doing.

Puhlease.

One in four are on the scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Isc do domo!

Where are you from op?

The Netherlands.
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, where are you from? What is your own nationality?

Dutch.

And no.. I don't smoke or drink alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Never heard anyone say a bad word about the Polish.
    Plus they have fantastic genes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

How about food stores like spar or lidl?

I agree. is it too much to ask that if I go into a Dutch or German retail chain that I hear an Irish voice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Curious that an overtly racist thread has lasted 30+ posts.

What an age we live in.

kneemos wrote: »
    Never heard anyone say a bad word about the Polish.
    Plus they have fantastic genes.

Its in Dutch, but google translate:

http://www.panorama.nl/blog/magazine-blog/steeds-meer-oost-europese-criminelen-nederland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Are you sure you didn't get on the wrong plane OP ? Happens sometimes ....

The Netherlands.

Dutch.

So you essentially have a dislike of polish people.

Grayson wrote: »
    I agree. is it too much to ask that if I go into a Dutch or German retail chain that I hear an Irish voice?

It should be English anyway, not any other language specially not from the workers, or don't you agree?

• Advertisement

The Netherlands.

Dutch.

So you're Dutch and in Ireland and you're complaining that if you go into a Dutch shop in Ireland that you hear polish voices?

It should be English anyway, not any other language specially not from the workers, or don't you agree?

Pop over to the Irish language thread and you'll see how debatable that is.

Do you ever get a Chinese where the staff talk to each other in Chinese?

Seriously you need to cop on or shop somewhere else

Pop over to the Irish language thread and you'll see how debatable that is.

I would still be fine with Irish and I will learn the language, no issues there.
    I just think that if the main language is Irish or English that those are the spoken languages at public places, like stores.
    Do you ever get a Chinese where the staff talk to each other in Chinese?

Seriously you need to cop on or shop somewhere else
    But that is in a Chinese restaurant right? As far as I can recall is Lidl not Polish and Spar also not.

So you're Dutch and in Ireland and you're complaining that if you go into a Dutch shop in Ireland that you hear polish voices?

he seems to be whining about all shops from what I could make out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I heard they eat Swans. That's what really bothers you about them isn't OP? The Dutch want to keep all the swans for themselves.

I would still be fine with Irish and I will learn the language, no issues there.
    I just think that if the main language is Irish or English that those are the spoken languages at public places, like stores.

But that is in a Chinese restaurant right? As far as I can recall is Lidl not Polish and Spar also not.

And they couldn't/wouldn't speak English to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

You'd get on grand in Australia so you would.

My point was they are not speaking english

The staff in my local shops are mainly Irish
    and if they talk to you in English what's your problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

From the article:
    The consequences are an increase in prostitution and theft.

An increase in prostitution and theft? In the Netherlands? That is impressive given how well the Dutch are versed in both of those particular codes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement