Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any Irish persons left in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Grayson wrote: »
    And they couldn't/wouldn't speak English to you?

It's not about what people want or can, it's about adjusting to the country.
    If you move to any country and you are working in a place where you work with people (example a store) you should always speak the language spoken in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd love to see a world where no other language is used except English, but que sera sera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Asmooh wrote: »
    I would still be fine with Irish and I will learn the language, no issues there.
    I just think that if the main language is Irish or English that those are the spoken languages at public places, like stores.

But that is in a Chinese restaurant right? As far as I can recall is Lidl not Polish and Spar also not.

It may be a Chinese restaurant but are you sure the language is Chinese?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If you move to any country and you are working in a place where you work with people (example a store) you should always speak the language spoken in the country.

And you never use Dutch in work?

Seriously get over it there are over 180 languages spoken here the national languages are English and Irish but no one is compelled to use them if they don't need to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

In my work I've encountered a lot of people from different nationalities and there's nothing weirder than people who are foreigners or members of an ethnic minority been racist. Trying to get them to explain that one is priceless.

OP I'm glad you've decided to work abroad because it might broaden your horizons a bit and get you to view things for another perspective, because now you're the foreigner!! I can tell from some of your posts that you are already encountering stereotypes that some people have about the Netherlands. Enjoy been an immigrant.

Stheno wrote: »
    And you never use Dutch in work?

Seriously get over it there are over 180 languages spoken here the national languages are English and Irish but no one is compelled to use them if they don't need to

In my job I need to speak Dutch, that's why they were asking me in the first place..
    But if I would work in a store, I would always speak English yes, even of the other person is Dutch, because I think thats professional behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Letree wrote: »
    You were expecting alot more thanks for that post weren't you.

Most thanks on the thread so not doing too badly. I'll survive off it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

I know and work with a lot of foreign nationals and I have to say I find 99.9% of the FN I meet are lot friendlier the our Irish brothers and sisters.

The Irish have become extremely self centered and ignorant. Obviously not all but even some people I know years seem to have the belief that their somehow better than everyone else when in fact their not at all. This really annoys me because growing up I really believed we lived on a little friendly island where everyone got along.

Boy has that changed! Society is so diverse (in a bad way) now that the innocent Ireland I knew as a kid is well and truly gone!

The Irish haven't left Ireland they have just forgotten to be, well Irish!!

The Celtic F**k up really brought out the worst in us all, we were definitely not as bad before that.

Talking to Russian and Latvian friends of mine they could even noticed the shift in the Irish mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

And no.. I don't smoke or drink alcohol.

This is the weirdest thread ever. Im Irish and Im here in Ireland. And I drink. And I occasionally smoke. What has that to do with the price of fish.

What I do know about (some) Dutch (good friend of mine is Dutch), is that you have a purist attitude to things.

This translates into looking down your nose.

An Irish and a dutch went travelling last year to Amsterdam. And ended up staying in a place where they were staying with 5 savvy French (Parisian) ladies. All these ladies were in their 40s-highly educated. The Irish smoked half a joint one night with the French crowd - shur why not. Had such a laugh with them. The Dutch sat in the corner, brewing, and being mean.

To which one of the French women said "...and what makes you so ****ing perfect?".

I believe she got back into her box that night.

My point OP is stop projecting your view of whats right/wrong on to 2 nations (Ireland and Polish), who dont seem to have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankly my dear

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Little Polski

Forget it Big Nasty, it's Polski town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I'm an immigrant to the US from Ireland. I live in San Francisco, in an area that was "traditionally" irish but is not Cantonese Chinese and Vietnamese, but around 40% of the population born in Asia.

All I hear every day is Cantonese, some Mandarin and Viet. Do I care? Should they ALL speak english to each other just because they are in the US? The answer to both is ....no. Plus, the vietnamese and canton food here is the best you will get out of those regions.

And I sincerely hope, that even with your Dutch co-workers, even when there are no other nationalities around that you only converse in English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Perhaps his real problem is, he's tried his luck with a few Polish women (or men, depending on your preference), and been knocked back repeatedly so to rebuild his fragile self esteem feels making ignorant comments about a nationality is a good idea.

How do you know they're Polish, and not Lithuanian or Slovakian or German or anything else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

In my job I need to speak Dutch, that's why they were asking me in the first place..
    But if I would work in a store, I would always speak English yes, even of the other person is Dutch, because I think thats professional behavior.

So is it only polish people that have this lack of professionalism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I think I know where the O.P. is coming from...
    Before anyone moves to live in the Netherlands they must Pass a written and oral exam to prove that they are competent with the Dutch language.
    They may also be asked to sit an exam on their knowledge of Dutch society and general norms.
    While it has raised a certain amount of controversy over the years, it means that if a non national is working in a place where they deal with the general public, they have a standard of language skills to communicate effectively.
    So it shows, rightly or wrongly, that Dutch society have an intolerance of non - nationals not speaking in the local lingo.

Dutch Residence Civic integration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I know and work with a lot of foreign nationals and I have to say I find 99.9% of the FN I meet are lot friendlier the our Irish brothers and sisters.

The Irish have become extremely self centered and ignorant. Obviously not all but even some people I know years seem to have the belief that their somehow better than everyone else when in fact their not at all. This really annoys me because growing up I really believed we lived on a little friendly island where everyone got along.

Boy has that changed! Society is so diverse (in a bad way) now that the innocent Ireland I knew as a kid is well and truly gone!

The Irish haven't left Ireland they have just forgotten to be, well Irish!!

The Celtic F**k up really brought out the worst in us all, we were definitely not as bad before that.

Talking to Russian and Latvian friends of mine they could even noticed the shift in the Irish mentality.

The friendly thing is a myth,even amongst ourselves we are clannish and standoffish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'd love to see a world where no other language is used except English, but que sera sera.

Que sera sera. That doesn't work in any language. You're just confusing thing even more.

http://study.com/academy/lesson/que-sera-sera-translation-meaning-quiz.html

Some say the phrase Que sera, sera is Spanish, others say Italian, or perhaps you think that it's French. Here's the truth: the phrase is not really grammatically correct in any of those languages. In fact, it's not grammatically correct in any language

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

He's right on the language thing. That goes for Paddy and Patricia living in the Costa del Sol as much as it goes for Pawel and Paulina living in Leixlip. When on the shop floor and in front of the customers they should speak the national lingo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I think I know where the O.P. is coming from...
    Before anyone moves to live in the Netherlands they must Pass a written and oral exam to prove that they are competent with the Dutch language.
    They may also be asked to sit an exam on their knowledge of Dutch society and general norms.
    While it has raised a certain amount of controversy over the years, it means that if a non national is working in a place where they deal with the general public, they have a standard of language skills to communicate effectively.
    So it shows, rightly or wrongly, that Dutch society have an intolerance of non - nationals not speaking in the local lingo.

Residence Civic integration

That's only non Eu nationals though isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Op, why are you complaining about immigrants when you are one?

If you hate the Polish people, go to a country where there are none.

If you don't like how Ireland manages immigration or how companies manage their foreign staff - leave. You're not being held in Ireland at gunpoint and frankly we could do with less xenophobes and racists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

They sex better thats for sure!

A little bored of them now - can we swap them for Argentinians??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Poles are only a tiny percentage of the population, where are you living?

That's true, but interestingly "Polish" is now the 2nd most spoken language in the country!

Op, why are you complaining about immigrants when you are one?

If you hate the Polish people, go to a country where there are none.

If you don't like how Ireland manages immigration or how companies manage their foreign staff - leave. You're not being held in Ireland at gunpoint and frankly we could do with less xenophobes and racists.

I never said there is anything wrong with Ireland, just be clear on that
    And I did't say anything racist compare to some people on youtube

I just think as long if we are EU there should be a general rule.

ardinn wrote: »
    A little bored of them now - can we swap them for Argentinians??

They're a great bunch of lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Given the pervasiveness of spoken English in the Netherlands, you might not be needed much longer and perhaps a Pole with fluent English could do your job, the irony would be delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

On a serious note I know more latvians and lithuanians than I do polish.

You should never reference Youtube as a barometer for what is and isn't racism.

that would contravene the right to live and work anywhere in the eu if you are a citizen of any of the eu countries signed up to that

Oh okay, so you're only what, 80% xenophobic, because some people are worse?

There's no general rule. We accept Polish people into Ireland, along with many other nationalities. If you don't like that, leave.

You've been allowed enter here. Why are you so much better than the Poles, that you should be allowed and not them? What have you got to offer that's better than them?

that would contravene the right to live and work anywhere in the eu if you are a citizen of any of the eu countries signed up to that
    And did the member states ever got to vote who should be in and who should not?

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Given the pervasiveness of spoken English in the Netherlands, you might not be needed much longer and perhaps a Pole with fluent English could do your job, the irony would be delicious.

He said that he got headhunted to come here as he's fluent in both Dutch and English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Some people will take this the wrong way as its not exactly the status quo but IMO Ireland has become a very progressive country so we dont mind lots of foreigners coming here, Us Irish have no issue but a lot of them want to live in Dublin, so from a visitors point of view it looks like we are being over run and the Irish are nowhere to be seen, A lot of the, are working in the service industry so they are at the frontline, many Irish are at a managerial level so behind the scenes, I tried looking at it this way when walking through O'Connell street and you hear a lot of Foreign languages everywhere, its a fact. But most of these people are here to stay so just accept it.

Oh okay, so you're only what, 80% xenophobic, because some people are worse?

There's no general rule. We accept Polish people into Ireland, along with many other nationalities. If you don't like that, leave.

You've been allowed enter here. Why are you so much better than the Poles, that you should be allowed and not them? What have you got to offer that's better than them?

Founding members:

The European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC) was proposed by Robert Schuman in his declaration on 9 May 1950 and involved the pooling of the coal and steel industries of France and West Germany. Half of the project states, Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands, had already achieved a great degree of integration between themselves with the organs of Benelux and earlier bilateral agreements. These five countries were joined by Italy and they all signed the Treaty of Paris on 23 July 1952. These six members, dubbed the 'inner six'

Says enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Polish people are sound OP. But I think you should fcuk off back to holland to be honest. People with an attitude like yours aren't welcome here.

He got headhunted to come here as he's fluent in both Dutch and English.

I wouldn't consider op fluent in English tbh

And did the member states ever got to vote who should be in and who should not?

We did, yep. Look up the Nice 1 & 2 referendums.

He said that he got headhunted to come here as he's fluent in both Dutch and English.

For someone who's apparently fluent in English, his written English leaves a lot to be desired. Bit rich to complain about the bad English that other foreign nationals use, given his own show of English here.

And Swedish + German

Founding members:

The European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC) was proposed by Robert Schuman in his declaration on 9 May 1950 and involved the pooling of the coal and steel industries of France and West Germany. Half of the project states, Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands, had already achieved a great degree of integration between themselves with the organs of Benelux and earlier bilateral agreements. These five countries were joined by Italy and they all signed the Treaty of Paris on 23 July 1952. These six members, dubbed the 'inner six'

Says enough?

You have literally ignored what I asked you.

What is so wonderful about you, that you should be allowed into Ireland, but the Poles be kicked out? Why are you better than 120-odd thousand people?

And Swedish + German

do you make as many mistakes in your written Swedish and German as you do with your English?

• Advertisement

do you make as many mistakes in your written Swedish and German as you do with your English?

No and I know I should not, but hey.. it's weekend.

it's the weekend

Do you become un-fluent on the weekend or something?

And Swedish + German

Oh fnck off, such an elitist attitude!!

I lived with a French girl who thought she was fluent in English and the poor girl couldn't talk to me. Compare that to the Polish lad I worked with, who has no qualifications and came here with no english, he's now fluent and can speak to customers in whichever language they prefer and he's well capable of having the craic and jibing with the best of the Irish. Completely assimilated into Irish culture but because he's uneducated and speaks to some customers in their first language, you probably think you're better than him. Absolutely disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I hear you're a racist now father

What is so wonderful about you, that you should be allowed into Ireland, but the Poles be kicked out? Why are you better than 120-odd thousand people?

The OP is here as he got headhunted by a multinational due to him speaking four languages. Even if we didnt have free movement of EU citizens, he would have no problem getting a visa. A lot of unskilled EU citizens here would not qualify.

• Advertisement

I never said that I am better than anyone, please quote me where I did say that.
    I started this thread asking why some languages are spoken in public places instead of English and why people are accept this.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I hear you're a racist now father

Source?

Do you become un-fluent on the weekend or something?
    No I just don't care that much, specially not on websites or fb, twitter etc.

I never said that I am better than anyone, please quote me where I did say that.
    I started this thread asking why some languages are spoken in public places instead of English and why people are accept this.

Actually you started this thread giving out about immigrants.

Even though you are one.

I'm sure that makes sense somehow.

Source?

Because people can use whatever language they want to speaking to people who also speak the language?

Because people can use whatever language they want to speaking to people who also speak the language?

Do that at home, not in a store.
    That was the complete point in the first place.

Are accepting this - or perhaps "people are more accepting of this".

It is because we aren't xenophobes. Ireland functions extremely well with the mixture of languages because you know will ALWAYS get what you need in English no matter what language the shop assistant speaks as their mother tongue.

This is my second stint as an immigrant, 8 years in Spain where I became fluent in two of their daily languages. It is hard living life surrounded by a language that is not your own and sometimes it is was just a relief to speak english to someone for a few minutes, be it in an Irish bar when I went to watch rugby or help someone on the street.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement