Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore or Bunmahon

Options
  • 14-06-2015 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

Thinking of hitting the beach during the week was thinking Tramore or Bunmahon. Which would you recommend? Don't have kids so amusement arcades etc wont be needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Thinking of hitting the beach during the week was thinking Tramore or Bunmahon. Which would you recommend? Don't have kids so amusement arcades etc wont be needed.

If you are an adult looking for a nice beach on the Waterford coast, there are several better ones on the stretch between those 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Head for Kilfarrasy at low tide, a cut above the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

If you are an adult looking for a nice beach on the Waterford coast, there are several better ones on the stretch between those 2.

So is it better just to drive by the coast until we find something better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

So is it better just to drive by the coast until we find something better?

Well no, get a recommendation!
    I'll recommend Garrarus, Kilfarrassy, Annestown or Boatstrand ahead of Tramore or Bunmahon.

I think we'll give Annestown a go then, looks good from google maps anyway

• Advertisement

I think we'll give Annestown a go then, looks good from google maps anyway

What's it like to swim there?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lovely when the tide is out. At the left as you stand on the shore there are rocks and behind the biggest one there tends to be a (quite deep) pool which is nice. Most families go to the extreme other end of the beach where there is a concrete ledge to sit on and nice sandy sea. Parking isn't as handy at that end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Tramore is handy if you want chips, ice cream, a drink etc. but it can be busy. Bunmahon is usually pretty quiet, it's a lovely sandy beach though. There are a good few smaller beaches between the two, varying from sandy to stony and it's a nice drive along the copper coast getting to them all.

Is Annestown sandy or stoney?

Both, depending on which end you are and how far out the tide is. Access is very pebbly at one end but then turns to sand. At the Annestown end it is sandy.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Both, depending on which end you are and how far out the tide is. Access is very pebbly at one end but then turns to sand. At the Annestown end it is sandy.

Is this where there's a car park on a bend on the R675? Sorry looking on google maps. When is low tide?

The car park end is the more rocky - I think more interesting! end. From there you can walk along behind the wall to the other end of the beach, or walk along the beach, or drive on to the bottom of the hill and park on the road and walk along the path to the beach. (Assuming you are coming from Tramore)

There are a number of beaches along there though. Kilfarrasy is nice but a bit inclined to have seaweed and sand flies! Boatstrand has a lovely beach, again you are probably better to park at the top of the access as it is a narrow awkward drive down and back.

http://magicseaweed.com/Bunmahon-Surf-Report/1156/Tide/ these are the tide times for Bunmahon, which is probably near enough. Looks as though low tide is middayish this week, which should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Don't swim in Bonmahon....There's a rip on the outgoing that will take your legs form under you. Anyway there's nought there to do.
    tramore is better...better again...clonea...lovely beach and near Dungarvan

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We were never allowed to swim in Bunmahon as children. Too late for OP but Stradbally cove would be a nice spot to swim, it's sheltered, safe and clean. Clonea can be very breezy and crowded .

We were never allowed to swim in Bunmahon as children. Too late for OP but Stradbally cove would be a nice spot to swim, it's sheltered, safe and clean. Clonea can be very breezy and crowded .

Where is stradbally cove? Cant see it on the map

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's just down the hill from the village. In my mother's time it belonged to Woodhouse, the local "big house" and they kept the right of way by closing the gate every year for a number of days.

It's just down the hill from the village. In my mother's time it belonged to Woodhouse, the local "big house" and they kept the right of way by closing the gate every year for a number of days.

What about parking?
    Thanks for the information, will definitely take a look

Drive in and there is plenty parking.

• Advertisement

Drive in and there is plenty parking.

Great....now I just need a sunny day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Great....now I just need a sunny day :D

The last place I'd go of a sunny weekend or bank holiday. Access to the car park is limited so you queue to get it, and then might not get anywhere to park then have to try and get out again. Parking all up and down the road on the few good days we get. Needs an early morning start (well Irish early that is before about 10am) or leave it till later in the evening and you still might get boxed in. Much better during the week.

my3cents wrote: »
    The last place I'd go of a sunny weekend or bank holiday. Access to the car park is limited so you queue to get it, and then might not get anywhere to park then have to try and get out again. Parking all up and down the road on the few good days we get. Needs an early morning start (well Irish early that is before about 10am) or leave it till later in the evening and you still might get boxed in. Much better during the week.
    Have never had an issue getting in/parking.

Advertisement