Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Padraig Hughes

• 14-06-2015 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭

Just wanted to voice my opinion that Padraig Hughes had, in my opinion a fantastic game today, a really tough game and got most of it right for me. I think he will probably get the all Ireland final.

Whats your view?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Don't think he had that great a game he is both too fussy and yet not fussy enough.He stops the game too often to talk to players when he should just book them (why does it take so flipping long in GAA to book a player?) and yet he missed constant off the ball stuff from certain players and did nothing about it.

Tom Cunniffe should have had at least 3 yellow cards in the first half alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Let Galway lads away with murder. Too lenient. Never stamped his authority.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Nah, poor game. Comer should have been off the pitch, hanley should have gone twice before he got the black. Fussy on silly free and then letting away dragging on others. Inconsistent on pushes in the back.
    A typical Hughes performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

yop wrote: »
    Nah, poor game. Comer should have been off the pitch, hanley should have gone twice before he got the black. Fussy on silly free and then letting away dragging on others. Inconsistent on pushes in the back.
    A typical Hughes performance.

Has a mayo supporter ever in the history of the gaa given any credit to a referee? I have been looking on a nice few years now and the only real bad refereeing performance (ie less than 6/10) was the Kerry replay last year (3/10) The ref was good today (7-8/10)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Has a mayo supporter ever in the history of the gaa given any credit to a referee? I have been looking on a nice few years now and the only real bad refereeing performance (ie less than 6/10) was the Kerry replay last year (3/10) The ref was good today (7-8/10)

I haven't been around for 130 years so can't tell you, have you? Looking on is good, understanding whats going on is different. P Hughes isn't a highly rated ref, if you look on more you'll see that. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Far too finicky today. And slowed down the game. He gave too many yellows in my opinion!

yop wrote: »
    I haven't been around for 130 years so can't tell you, have you? Looking on is good, understanding whats going on is different. P Hughes isn't a highly rated ref, if you look on more you'll see that. ;)

Understanding is indeed the important thing but there are none so stupid as those who will not understand. The top of every mountain can only be reached climbing and P Hughes moved up from base camp today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Far worse referees but not the greatest afternoon for him today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

You could tell after 5 minutes today that there was going to be red cards as he started doling out yellows instantly. Maybe he was trying to crack down early doors but he must have had about 4 or 5 lads booked before 10 minutes were gone.

You could tell after 5 minutes today that there was going to be red cards as he started doling out yellows instantly. Maybe he was trying to crack down early doors but he must have had about 4 or 5 lads booked before 10 minutes were gone.

Are the cards the fault of a competent referee or indisciplined players?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Few Mayo lads like to take a dive.

Understanding is indeed the important thing but there are none so stupid as those who will not understand. The top of every mountain can only be reached climbing and P Hughes moved up from base camp today.

We don't want you calling yourself stupid, but if you insist.

He lost control of the game from 2 minutes in and has been slated over many fora and in the media for not handling it well. Stopping unnecessarily, taking too much time in conflab with his officials and then either over playing or not playing advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Pretty much a standard football refereeing performance-inconsistent from first whistle to last.
    This only serves to antagonise players from both sides which contributes greatly to the off the ball niggling we see every matchday as players resort to taking the law into their own hands.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Pretty much a standard football refereeing performance-inconsistent from first whistle to last.
    This only serves to antagonise players from both sides which contributes greatly to the off the ball niggling we see every matchday as players resort to taking the law into their own hands.

And this has been and is the story of nearly every game we see regardless of who is reffing, the ref can't be blamed for it all though, he needs proper help from his officials but I agree with the Sunday game that the 3rd man in gets the line, that would have cut out so much of it yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Gulfstream757

I think that one point that needs to be clarified is players going to ground too easily, for example if a player is running with the ball and his opponent puts his arm on his waist and slightly pulls him back but the player stays up most referees will pay on and not play advantage leaving you to believe there has been no foul, but if the tackled player goes down the referee will give a free. So its not a yellow for feigning a foul if the referee gives these every time even when a player doesn't go to ground he is deemed to be overly fussy albeit correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Are the cards the fault of a competent referee or indisciplined players?

A combination of both,not trying to be smart btw.It was not an easy game to referee,the players engaging in niggle from the get go Lee Keegan and Michael Lundy.He tried to stamp his authority by showing a number of early yellow cards.However the players felt they had a licence to continue to niggle as he failed to administer a second yellow,giving a warning/tick...

He did spend too much time consulting officials,halting the game's momentum.In addition he was inconsistent in his playing of the advantage rule.In all honesty he'd little choice but to be whistle happy,the players must take a large portion of the blame.Who'd be a referee?Thankless task.

The third man in to a melee should definitely get a yellow card or even a black card.

seligehgit wrote: »
    The third man in to a melee should definitely get a yellow card or even a black card.

Under current rule to contribute to a melee is a red card.

"5.19 To contribute to a melee
    PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS -
    (i) Order offender off."

Watched the game back and I'm ready to admit I thought Padraig Hughes did a pretty decent job of officiating it.

Just to say congrats to Hughes who has been appointed to munster final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Let Galway lads away with murder. Too lenient. Never stamped his authority.

Only seing this thread now but had to laugh at the contradiction in the two posts above, he gets lambasted by one for not stamping his authority on the game and by another for been two trigger happy with teh cards early on. How exactly was he supposed to take control of the constant niggling and fouling other than punish the perpetrators by the letter of the law.

Perfect example of damned if you do, damned if you don't! Most suppoerters don't know what they want and invariably it changes from game to game depending on the result and whether their team are the instigators or the victims.

danganabu wrote: »
    Only seing this thread now but had to laugh at the contradiction in the two posts above, he gets lambasted by one for not stamping his authority on the game and by another for been two trigger happy with teh cards early on. How exactly was he supposed to take control of the constant niggling and fouling other than punish the perpetrators by the letter of the law.

Perfect example of damned if you do, damned if you don't! Most suppoerters don't know what they want and invariably it changes from game to game depending on the result and whether their team are the instigators or the victims.

I agree, although I think while championship panel referees have done well in punishing and eradicating as much as possible body checking, deliberate cynical fouls and in football are quite good at detecting most red card offences. They consistently ignore the fact that contributing to a melee is a red card offence, if this was punished properly at league time and pre league it was made clear any players who enter a melee will be sent off although there would be cases of matches abandoned as 20 players+ are sent off it needs to be eliminated from the game as it is being used by teams to waist time and players are being unpunished for it.

Advertisement