Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I wonder what that's like...!?

• 14-06-2015 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Have you ever met someone who hasn't experienced something that is considered a very common/basic thing in this life?

Everyday stuff like; chocolate, alcohol, being on a bus/train, stung by a bee, swimming, defeat(:p), jealousy, bad curry, being r*ped by your government.... etc

Typical stuff like that..?

Met a chap recently, who told me he's never used a mobile phone. (he was in his early 50's!!) wtf? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I've never seen an after hours thread not go off the rails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

*awaits mention of anal*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

How can curry be bad?

All curry is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

A bad curry once gave me anal

H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Know a bloke who was never on a plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 rebeler1232

ive never been stung by a been , but ya know some people dont even care about listening to music , some
    poeple dont even get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I don't think my dad has ever used an ATM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Kovu wrote: »
    *awaits mention of anal*

You just did :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

A friend of mine has never seen Jurassic Park. Sorry, I mean a former friend of mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I know a guy in his 30s who's never been outside of Ireland, never even visited the north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ive never been stung by a been , but ya know some people dont even care about listening to music , some
    poeple dont even get it

Mates Da ' doesn't like music ' which is odd.. Seeing as he himself is a bit of a character and all round good craic. In fairness with him the exception I'm usually suspicious of anyone who doesn't like music on some meaningful level, they generally rate quite high on the asshole barometer of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 labmonkey

I was talking to an English guy in his 20s today who's never been on a plane, never even been to an airport,. He said he's not afraid to fly or anything, just goes everywhere by ferry. Thought it was odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I know someone who's never seen Starwars, back to the future or Indiana jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I know someone who never learned to cycle a bike, another guy who can't drive although I suppose that would be a bit more common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I know a pub owner in his late 50s still gets his dinner cut up for him, got a debit card only this year but still hasn't used it, has to get someone to reprogram the till for new prices and switch his PC back on after a powercut or whatever, and when his wife goes away somewhere he lives on sandwiches and takeaways as he can't cook. 99% of it is nothing but pure laziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

realies wrote: »
    Know a bloke who was never on a plane.

I pity da fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Grayson wrote: »

You know me?!

Strumms wrote: »
    Mates Da ' doesn't like music ' which is odd.. Seeing as he himself is a bit of a character and all round good craic. In fairness with him the exception I'm usually suspicious of anyone who doesn't like music on some meaningful level, they generally rate quite high on the asshole barometer of life.

I'm not a big fan of music. I go to concerts/gigs for the experience of going to one. I have a spotify subscription but it's just so I have something to listen to when running. I'll throw on some classical so I have some noise when I'm studying. But I don't actually listen to music recreationally. I actually find it a bit nuts how nuts people get about music.

I know a couple of people who ae highly educated and have never read a book. Sure they used textbooks but they've never read a book for fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

My wife has never had an electric shock.

None of my sons have ever convinced their sisters to lick a PP3 battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I've never seen ET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I know a bloke in his 20s who's never had (off the top of my head) a steak or a hamburger or a strawberry or a banana, or a chinese. He'd avoid most vegetables too. I could go on and name a load of every day stuff he's never had. Basically lives on plain chicken and chips, with the odd ham sandwich and apple thrown in. He's also never had a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I know a woman in her 70's, lives in a rural area in Connaught, who has never been more than 50 km from her front door. Biggest town she was ever in has 8500 inhabitants. Never been in a train, was last on a bus in the 1960's.

She has no phone or TV but is very well read, very intelligent. She still has the Encyclopaedia Brittanica books and reads them for leisure. Visits the library most weeks but she's read almost everything in it.

She's never used a computer, but I showed her Wikipedia on the computer a while ago and she's thinking of getting a tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭indioblack

Have you ever met someone who hasn't experienced something that is considered a very common/basic thing in this life?

Everyday stuff like; chocolate, alcohol, being on a bus/train, stung by a bee, swimming, defeat(:p), jealousy, bad curry, being r*ped by your government.... etc

Typical stuff like that..?

Met a chap recently, who told me he's never used a mobile phone. (he was in his early 50's!!) wtf? :eek:
    Never had a woman who said " I like you" and wasn't lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I know a pub owner in his late 50s still gets his dinner cut up for him, got a debit card only this year but still hasn't used it, has to get someone to reprogram the till for new prices and switch his PC back on after a powercut or whatever, and when his wife goes away somewhere he lives on sandwiches and takeaways as he can't cook. 99% of it is nothing but pure laziness.

I'd consider that living the dream myself. Idyllic almost.

I've never seen Star Wars or any of the series.

Or any Harry Potter film.

Or any of that Lord of the Rings stuff.

Just not into aliens or orcs or magic in films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I am not very tolerant with people that haven't seen great films. Few months back I was on my way to the airport with a mate and I had meant to buy a pack of boxer shorts on the way but had forgot and as they knew this, I jokingly did a Rain Man impression (voice and all) and said: 'Of course I don't have my underwear. I'm definitely not wearing my underwear' and they laughed out loud and said 'No way'. I said 'Yeah, sure fcuk it, I'll get some when we get there'. So we're in the airport and I continue with the Rain Man theme for the craic, that's how I roll (annoying eejit) and say: 'Qantas, I wanna fly Qantas, only QANTAS, Qantas never crashed' and again they laugh and I laugh and follow that by saying: 'Class film Rainman, isn't it? ' and they just said: 'What?' I said: 'You know, the film, Rainman, the one I'm quoting here' and they just blankly replied: 'Never seen it, any good?. I said 'What the fcuk. You never seen it? What did you think I was saying then, when I said I wasn't wearing underwear and would only fly Qantas?' Their response: 'I dunno. Just thought you were messing.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

I am not very tolerant with people that haven't seen great films..'

It sounds like your friends are quite tolerant of you......

• Advertisement

Flyer28 wrote: »
    It sounds like your friends are quite tolerant of you......

..aye, hence the annoying eejit bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

My mother is in her 80s...

She never had a mobile phone or used one.
    Never used the internet
    Never learned how to drive
    Never travelled abroad
    Never drank

Always in good form though, she doesn't feel she's missed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

I've never seen grease, wizard of oz, chitty chitty bang bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

My mother too.
    Doesn't have a bank card.
    Never been on a plane.
    Never used a computer.
    Doesn't have a passport.
    Doesn't have a driving licence.
    Doesn't have a mobile.
    Never been on the internet.

Brought my nephew to the Star Wars Invasion in the RDS last year and my sister law (in her 40s) says she had never seen Star Wars. Just don't know how someone that age could have avoided seeing it. Surely you would nearly have seen it by accident at this stage.

Have a brother in his 40s also who has never driven a car and has no interest in it. Think I had drove my Dad's car up and down the driveway by the time I was 13. Jesus, now I do sound like Rainman. :p

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ive never owned my own bike!

I've never learnt how to swim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I know a bloke in his 20s who's never had (off the top of my head) a steak or a hamburger or a strawberry or a banana, or a chinese. He'd avoid most vegetables too. I could go on and name a load of every day stuff he's never had. Basically lives on plain chicken and chips, with the odd ham sandwich and apple thrown in. He's also never had a woman.

You can tell him they taste a bit like chicken... or fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I wonder what it's like to swim.

I had a fear of water since I was a kid, but last year on holiday, my other half encouraged me to get in the pool and he kept hold of me at all times, but was trying to get me to swim.

I probably looked a right eejit, but the more he told me I was safe and the water wasn't that deep, the more I relaxed and my legs actually left the floor of the pool.
    Granted, I probably looked like a disabled frog the way my legs were moving, but the feeling was incredible.

It still wasn't proper swimming though, and because that happened almost a year ago, it'd take a long time to pluck up the courage to even do that again.

So yeah, being able to swim.
    I'm mad jealous of you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

deise08 wrote: »
    I've never seen grease, wizard of oz, chitty chitty bang bang.

You lucky b*star. My sister loved grease and Annie when she was younger and watched them continuously. I'd say I could sing every song (badly). Can stand either now.

People who have never lived outside of home. I find it so weird to meet people who are 25 - 26 and still live with their parents, or at least have never once moved out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Patrick Wheelock

I have never put air in my car's tyres. Always get the garage to do it, or my father, or when I get it serviced. Tried a couple of times but couldn't get the nozzle to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭iuil1999

I know a guy, who's 53, and he's never eaten a burger! Ever

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

iuil1999 wrote:
    I know a guy, who's 53, and he's never eaten a burger! Ever

He hasn't lived yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I never swam. Just never bothered.

I know plenty of people that never tried alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I know people who have only had sex with one gender. What kind of mental **** is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

I've never seen Star Wars or any of the series.

Or any Harry Potter film.

Or any of that Lord of the Rings stuff.

Just not into aliens or orcs or magic in films.

You just lost 7% of my respect. Careful, you're down to 22% now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

antodeco wrote: »
    Ive never owned my own bike!

So..... who does own your bike?!?

I've never seen Lord of The Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek or any of the Marvel movies.

I did read LoTR as a teenager and liked it, but not interested in watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Jan Laco wrote: »
    A friend of mine has never seen Jurassic Park. Sorry, I mean a former friend of mine.
    I only watched it about a month ago with the my kids - meh

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

My oh has never used an atm he has a card but wouldnt have a clue what the pin code is. Myself or one of the kids gets him his money when he wants it.

We have never been on a foreign holiday

• Advertisement
Advertisement