Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up Economics as an extra subject

• 14-06-2015 9:25pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 56 ✭✭

Currently just finished 3rd year and so relieved to be finished of that little bugger of a Junior cert!! I'm going to takr up Economics as an extra subject at home for my leaving cert as I'm good at business and I like economics + my dad teached it and learned it himself as an extra subject as well. I'm going to start studying in Transition year but not sure how I'm supposed to teach myself it and how will I know the important things that I actually must know? Has anyone here learnt it at home? What book should I get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Currently just finished 3rd year and so relieved to be finished of that little bugger of a Junior cert!! I'm going to takr up Economics as an extra subject at home for my leaving cert as I'm good at business and I like economics + my dad teached it and learned it himself as an extra subject as well. I'm going to start studying in Transition year but not sure how I'm supposed to teach myself it and how will I know the important things that I actually must know? Has anyone here learnt it at home? What book should I get?

I have the book Leaving Certificate Economics published by folens. Honestly if I were you buy a set of exam papers and use the marking schemes from examinations.ie to use as notes on each topic. Personally we never used the book EVER in the entire 2 years..our teacher had notes on every topic premade generally from the marking schemes. Also, keep an eye out on topical issues as it gets closer to your LC because they generally feature as a Q9 on the short answer questions.Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I took up Economics as an extra subject from the start of fifth year. I got grinds once a week. They weren't exactly great, but they gave me a general knowledge of the subject. Now, I have great notes written out for a couple of sections, and it proves not to be a bother.

That's all you need for Economics - good notes. It's not a major challenge to do it outside school. It's a one year course, so you don't have to spend much time studying it at all.

I would advise getting a grind once a week so you don't become lazy. And then, simply, write good notes! Becomes as easy as any other subject you will do in school! :)

And definitely get Positive Economics, it's a fantastic book.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 56 ✭✭AvrilDoyle2000

Thanks guys :)

Advertisement