Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day hikes - What do you bring?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

ectoraige wrote: »
    Yes, the great thing with the barley sugars is in theory they could sit at the bottom of your bag for years until you actually need them. In practice though you'll come across them looking for something else and remember how yummy they are.
    I was always told to make sure your "emergency food" is something you don't like ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Water, diluted with a bit of Robinsons Barley Water, 1-2l depending on the route.

Map & Compass. (I still prefer maps as you get to know the other peaks/lakes/features in the area).
    Small first aid kit, also includes mirror for signalling, whistle, water purification tablets and a foil blanket (Whole kit is about the size of two packs of Major stuck together).
    Gaiters
    Wooly hat
    Appropriate clothing, includes a fleece and rain coat 3 in 1
    Spare socks
    Small towel the size of A4 sheet of paper
    Sun cream
    Phone
    Hi Viz jacket & string. You can tie the string to the jacket and whirl it about over your head, it's easier to spot.
    Pocket SAS survival guide (20 yrs old at this stage)
    Three 120l heavy duty binliners.
    Food, mostly homemade oatcakes or pasta.
    These two...

forester-pocket-knife.jpgnoze-victorinox-victorinox-swiss-card-0.7100.t-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

One other thing - duct / repair tape. It's been very handy on more then one occassion for temporary repairs for broken straps, ripped bags etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

looking at those lists it appears that the vast majority of you use a similar approach to me... I'd rather be looking at it that for it!!

About the only thing that I haven't carried up until I saw it on some peoples lists is a knife. Which will fall under the "Next Payday Purchase" category! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Was out earlier. Walked past someone who had a whistle attached to her bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Was out earlier. Walked past someone who had a whistle attached to her bag.
    Nothing unusual about that, I have one too, always have done. Plus the chest strap buckles on many new rucksacks have whistles integrated into them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mine says CBSI on it. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

dogmatix wrote: »
    One other thing - duct / repair tape. It's been very handy on more then one occassion for temporary repairs for broken straps, ripped bags etc...

Duct tape is also extremely useful for splinting limbs and keeping wound dressings in place in wet conditions. Rather than bring a roll, I wrap some around a metal water bottle - you could do the same with a plastic Nalgene bottle.

Mine says CBSI on it. ;)
    :confused:

CBSI - catholic boy scouts of ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

CBSI - catholic boy scouts of ireland?

I'd say you're right, I still have mine, great little things so they are.

That's the one. :)

That's the one. :)
    I'm just a "blow-in" so I wouldn't have got that one in a thousand years :)

ectoraige wrote: »
    I'd say you're right, I still have mine, great little things so they are.

I used to be a CBSI member when I was a kid. And how I hated those long sunday hikes from ballinteer NS to Larch hill and back. No doubt the scout master would be having a laugh at my interest in hillwalking now, if he knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Depending on the length of walk, a half litre of drink might not be enough. I tend not to drink much while walking but on one occassion a good few years ago I walked from marley to enniskerry via the wicklow way and knockree with just a 500ml bottle. It's usually enough for me but on this occassion it was a very hot and sunny day and I was in a bad way by the time I reached knockree. Now I always take a 2 litre camelbak with me even though I will probably be throwing away half the contents at the end of the day. Better to err on the side of caution.

There is a poster on here who does the Art O'Neill fuelled with a bottle of Lucozade and a Mars bar apparently. He does not recommend it for others but judging by his history in the event it works for him.

Personally on longer hikes I like to throw a 'zero' tablet into the camelback.

I have also found those Red Bull shot bottles (about 150mm) quite good on a hill when very tired. Probably not good for the body but I find they give a fast temporary boost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Rain gear
    Flask
    Sandwiches
    sweets (Very important to keep energy levels up! :D)
    buff type neck gaitor
    fleece neck gaitor
    at least 2 litres of water Have gone to 3 but it is noticably heavier.
    fleece jacket
    First aid kit (a car one from lidl
    map and compass
    phone not a smart phone - longer battery life
    sun hat and sun glasses if needed

now i also bring a water filter if i think that I can get more water on the way.

I might bring a stove with the idea that it is very out doorsey i did actually use it one day on a hike in glendalough it was a very nice feeling to cook something (noodles) and eat it while sitting and taking in the scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Mine says CBSI on it. ;)

Yup, mine's still going strong too and is a regular on my rucksack...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

My List, but I'm normally only out for a couple of hours doing a long dog walk.

Camera *
    Binoculars **
    First Aid Kit - Lidl personal one + extras
    Folding Saw - Lidl
    Compass
    Fire lighting Kit, steel and striker, wind proof matches, gas lighter and tinder.
    Small torch + a spare battery *
    Phone - small 2G flip phone left off kept in waterproof bag
    MP3 Player - Sansa Clip *
    Waterproof Jacket **
    Waterproof Trousers *
    Sun glasses - cheap dealz pair *
    Sun cream - small dealz tube *
    Sitting mat * - bit cut off an old sleeping mat that fits exactly across inside width of pack
    Micro Fiber Towel - Lidl
    Water bottles 1 or 2 x 500ml
    Dog grooming kit* - heavy rake comb and scissors.
    Dog leads x 3
    Paracord 10m - used a couple of times to make up dog leads.

Accumulated Junk in various small "organiser" bags, pen, pencil, spork, kilt pins, another whistle, craft knife, cheap pocket knife, plasters, another survival blanket (there's already one in First Aid Kit), signal mirror, various waterproof plastic bags two chemical light sticks and other stuff I can't remember.

All in a 35l rucksack

If I think its worth stopping for a brew then I add
    Optimus 123R, mess tin set it fits inside and a large plastic mug (+ coffee, tea bags, cuppa soups etc)

I normally leave the house wearing more cloths than necessary so often end up carrying a fleece or jumper in the pack, just depends on the weather.

** = items that are in constant use
    *= items regularly used

sheesh wrote: »
    buff type neck gaitor
    fleece neck gaitor.

What's the difference between these two, or indeed the purpose of the first?

What's the difference between these two, or indeed the purpose of the first?

the fleece one warmer so its for if it gets very cold like if you had to stop for a while

the buff type one is a thin stretchy fabric it is uv proof so can be used to cover your neck in sunshine, as a bandana (obviously, when nobody is around!) basically making me look more rugged than I actually am.

they pack down really small and light and gives you another layer in the cold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

sheesh wrote: »
    the fleece one warmer so its for if it gets very cold like if you had to stop for a while

the buff type one is a thin stretchy fabric it is uv proof so can be used to cover your neck in sunshine, as a bandana (obviously, when nobody is around!) basically making me look more rugged than I actually am.

they pack down really small and light and gives you another layer in the cold

I keep one in whatever fleece I'm wearing. Very handy but only ever warn in extreme conditions or when no one else is around. Came in useful today when it was very windy, folded in 4 and worn as a sort of large wide sweat band it does a great job of holding MP3 player earphones in place and reducing wind noise so you can hear your music or in my case an audio book.

If its really cold I wear one as a balaclava with a woolly hat pulled over the top. I have several the same as this one they call a headover and this amazon link has some pictures of how it can be warn.

Ah, I know what you mean now. I think the word buff threw me re sun protection, etc. :p I've a merino neck thing for the winter (or whatever the Irish weather feels in the mood for).

Are water filters lightweight enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Interesting reading so far. What trousers do ye all wear though? Do ye wear different for summer and winter?

Craghoppers kiwis/nosilife yolks. Merino layer underneath if I know there's going to notably low temperatures.

Craghopper Kiwi's - best/most comfortable walking trousers i've ever worn.

Tried the Nosilife once a few years back - awful. It was like wearing glass fibre wool next to my skin.

M&S have a brand of walking trousers but the quality is not as good (the pocket linings are very flimsy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

got a pair of walking trousers in the Patagonia outlet shop in dublin , best fitting and most comfortable walking trousers I have ever worn

Tried the Nosilife once a few years back - awful. It was like wearing glass fibre wool next to my skin.

Think I've two Nosilife shirts, definitely not trousers. Can't say I've noticed the feeling/texture you've described. Will have to check again. Someone I was on holiday with last year was a bit cynical about Columbia adding a new 'technology' to their shirts every other year just to flog more. Same could be said of most manufacturers, I suppose.

Ah, I know what you mean now. I think the word buff threw me re sun protection, etc. :p I've a merino neck thing for the winter (or whatever the Irish weather feels in the mood for).

Are water filters lightweight enough?

oh quiet small too this guy

longshanks wrote: »
    Interesting reading so far. What trousers do ye all wear though? Do ye wear different for summer and winter?

craighoppers one from tkmax in summer

Have these lined "hunting trouser" I got in an army surplus store

they are very good though.

• Advertisement

Was on the Mournes yesterday, short enough hike ~ 2.5 hours. Took the platypus and also a 900ml bottle. Had the platypus in the same internal pouch I had my spare socks in, got home to find the socks were damp. Pouch seemed fine. Maybe didn't seal the platypus 100%, not sure, or else the corner area where the tube connects. I've two. One's got a zip lock type affair, but I didn't take it. Think it's no longer usable as it doesn't seem to want to shut...it's been lying idle for years.

Also had a bit of a headache afterwards, which might be climate related or else I didn't drink enough water. Weather was overcast, but fine.

Hiking boot laces kept opening too.

Advertisement