Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you clarify ??????

Options
  • 14-06-2015 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I phoned Eircom twice to confirm that I could receive ''up to'' 20Mb on my line having given my details to the customer care rep and being told I could as my exchange had been upgraded in May . Anyway the reason I was checking was because I'm close to ending my contract with Sky and wanted to check from the line provider what the speed is as my connection is very slow at times , I phoned Sky and they told me I could only get ''up to'' 3Mb on my line . Who is lying ????????

This was Sky's reply to my complaint :

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.

I have checked on your account and can see that the line you are on for Broadband services is a connect line. This line can only handle 7mbps at most however your line is only capable of getting steady speeds at 3mbps. This may be due to condition of the line itself or distance from the exchange. There is no way for us to change this line or its speed capability.

If Eircom are offering you a line of 20mbps there is a possibility they have upgraded the exchange your line runs from and could potentially place you on one of their ports.

This would mean getting a new telephone number and being with Broadband or Talk services for some time while reconnecting. Other than this being the case the line you have active will only be a 3mbp line.

As we run from Eircom infrastructure it wont be possible to do a transfer from Sky to Eircom on the same line and increase and speeds.

I appreciate this may not be the information you wished to receive and do apologise for any inconvenience this may be causing.

I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our Broadband team on 0818 719 819, where one of our advisors will be happy to help.

END

As far as I know copper wire line is the only way to connect non fibre BB services and has a max speed far exceeding the 3Mb Sky claim can be given and so since the exchange upgrade I should be able to get more .

Am I right in my thinking ?
    Are Sky correct in their explanation ?
    Are Eircom wrong ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

shmokin wrote: »
    I phoned Eircom twice to confirm that I could receive ''up to'' 20Mb on my line having given my details to the customer care rep and being told I could as my exchange had been upgraded in May . Anyway the reason I was checking was because I'm close to ending my contract with Sky and wanted to check from the line provider what the speed is as my connection is very slow at times , I phoned Sky and they told me I could only get ''up to'' 3Mb on my line . Who is lying ????????

This was Sky's reply to my complaint :

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.

I have checked on your account and can see that the line you are on for Broadband services is a connect line. This line can only handle 7mbps at most however your line is only capable of getting steady speeds at 3mbps. This may be due to condition of the line itself or distance from the exchange. There is no way for us to change this line or its speed capability.

If Eircom are offering you a line of 20mbps there is a possibility they have upgraded the exchange your line runs from and could potentially place you on one of their ports.

This would mean getting a new telephone number and being with Broadband or Talk services for some time while reconnecting. Other than this being the case the line you have active will only be a 3mbp line.

As we run from Eircom infrastructure it wont be possible to do a transfer from Sky to Eircom on the same line and increase and speeds.

I appreciate this may not be the information you wished to receive and do apologise for any inconvenience this may be causing.

I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our Broadband team on 0818 719 819, where one of our advisors will be happy to help.

END

As far as I know copper wire line is the only way to connect non fibre BB services and has a max speed far exceeding the 3Mb Sky claim can be given and so since the exchange upgrade I should be able to get more .

Am I right in my thinking ?
    Are Sky correct in their explanation ?
    Are Eircom wrong ?
    Hi shmokin

I'll be happy to clarify this further for you if you could please PM me your land line number?

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 37 shmokin

Sent PM with phone number , any update for me ????

Thanks for you PM shmokin

I can confirm that your line is qualifying for up to 20Mb speeds. As the exchange is not NGB enabled the speeds may fluctuate depending on the number of people online in your area (which is why 'up to' is advised).

The broadband package available to you is called Rural broadband - up to 24Mb. Please contact our sales team on free phone 1800503303 or via WebChat at www.eircom.ie/chatnow to find out more.

Cheers
    Al

I can confirm that your line is qualifying for up to 20Mb speeds. As the exchange is not NGB enabled the speeds may fluctuate depending on the number of people online in your area (which is why 'up to' is advised).

The broadband package available to you is called Rural broadband - up to 24Mb. Please contact our sales team on free phone 1800503303 or via WebChat at www.eircom.ie/chatnow to find out more.

Cheers
    Al

Just to be clear with contention ratio and distance from exchange taken into account , worst case scenario is that I'll get 50% , 10Mb , speed on my line , would that be correct ?

Cheers
    Al

Just to be clear with contention ratio and distance from exchange taken into account , worst case scenario is that I'll get 50% , 10Mb , speed on my line , would that be correct ?
    A worst case scenario cannot be a given I'm afraid on Non NGB areas I'm afraid - I can assure you that distance from the exchange is nothing to be concerned about as your line really is not too far from the exchange itself.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

''A worst case scenario cannot be a given I'm afraid on Non NGB areas I'm afraid - I can assure you that distance from the exchange is nothing to be concerned about as your line really is not too far from the exchange itself.

Thanks
    Al''

No one wants to give a definative answer , even a worst case scenario , no wonder people get frustrated with companies .

What would the worst speed be that I could expect on your ''up to 20Mb'' line ?

I can only get 2.6Mb at the moment even with the exchange upgrade , that seems wrong to me is that sky's fault and why ?

''A worst case scenario cannot be a given I'm afraid on Non NGB areas I'm afraid - I can assure you that distance from the exchange is nothing to be concerned about as your line really is not too far from the exchange itself.

Thanks
    Al''

No one wants to give a definative answer , even a worst case scenario , no wonder people get frustrated with companies .

What would the worst speed be that I could expect on your ''up to 20Mb'' line ?

I can only get 2.6Mb at the moment even with the exchange upgrade , that seems wrong to me is that sky's fault and why ?
    Hi shmokin

I would love to offer a definitive answer however it's just not physically possible to measure possible/potential contention.

I really do not understand why you are getting 2.6Mb with Sky, unfortunately I do no have access to the your current service as it's not with eircom. I recommend asking sky what is the max speed your line is profiled at. The package they have you on may be restricted but I honestly can't advise on sky's packages or speeds.

Al

It's no wonder people get so frustrated with operators just reading off a screen that's got the company ''speel'' on it .

If you were the one taking care of this case and had read through the whole thread you would see what Sky told me .

It is easy enough to give scenarios , your engineers do it all the time , it has to be done .

Sorry to have to disturb any one that they would have to do something .
    What is it , ''don't put anything down on paper as it can be used against us''.

I sign up to Eircom and only get 1Mb , make a complaint and be told ''tough , we did say ''up to'' , your in contract so take us to court , everything we've told you already will be in our defense and we have your money ''

So signing up to any broadband supplier is a gamble and tough after that .

Brilliant sales ethic . 

It's no wonder people get so frustrated with operators just reading off a screen that's got the company ''speel'' on it .

If you were the one taking care of this case and had read through the whole thread you would see what Sky told me .

It is easy enough to give scenarios , your engineers do it all the time , it has to be done .

Sorry to have to disturb any one that they would have to do something .
    What is it , ''don't put anything down on paper as it can be used against us''.

I sign up to Eircom and only get 1Mb , make a complaint and be told ''tough , we did say ''up to'' , your in contract so take us to court , everything we've told you already will be in our defense and we have your money ''

So signing up to any broadband supplier is a gamble and tough after that .

Brilliant sales ethic . 
    I'm genuinely sorry I can't offer you better news. Ultimately broadband is provided on the terms of 'up to' in it's terms & conditions and yes, in some cases the contention of non NGB areas can result in speeds going down to 3Mb - it's impossible to foresee exactly though.

Al

How long would it take to get the ''up to'' 20Mb if signing up to Eircom ?

• Advertisement

It would take approximately 10 working days from the day you place the order

Thanks
    Al

Thanks
    Al
    Same as SKY , so no advantage .

Would I have disruptions to service as well as the wait , if so how much disruption to service ?

Thanks Rock , ye I'm with SKY and the contract ends in one month and I'm trying to get a definate answer to all my questions from service providers so if I have a problem I've something to fall back on and produce any correspondance but I've failed .

No provider will give definate answers , my problem is I have IT and Computer qualifications and know the questions to ask and the answers to expect , it's very frustrating when you get a ''company robot'' reading off a prepared manual and you know they haven't got a clue when your talking to them on the phone .

A lot of people left certain providers when they couldn't be understood or understand the person at the other end of the phone because the phone call centre was based in a foreign country but this also applies to phone call centres where the operators know a lot less than their customers .

All any customer wants to know is the truth , a truthfull answer to their queries .
    Irish companies are lucky to be in business , I've decided a long time ago that if I can get a service elsewhere I will and buy all products from abroad unless there is a guarantee of availability and fast delivery .

I'm giving up , staying with SKY , but I will be reducing my package and as soon as UPC get down my area , I'll be joining them at least the speed will be realistic .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you checked your line stats and your internal wiring.  The best way to find out exactly what your line is capable of is to establish your line stats.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

These are the important ones:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16220

Also are there any other extension phones fitted internally? are there dsl filters on them?

Thanks
    Al
    Same as SKY , so no advantage .

Would I have disruptions to service as well as the wait , if so how much disruption to service ?
    Hi shmokin

There would be no disruption to service when transferring to another provider.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Rock 1234

Hi Skmokin,

I think it is fair to state that most broadband providers require at least one month notice even if you are out of contract, This is a very important point !

Hi shmokin

I would agree with rock1234 above - most providers do indeed require one months noitification of intention to cease service

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement