Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera servicing in Ireland?

• 14-06-2015 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

Hi all, long time lurker of this corner of Boards.ie but looking for some advice so I hope someone can help.

I will soon be in possession of a Yashica Electro 35 GSN. It's supposedly in good condition. No faults etc but the previous owner said it hasn't been used in years and could probably do with a service.

Does anyone know where I can take such a camera for a service and what kind of initial cost I would be faced with? Somewhere in Dublin would be good, but if it's possible to post nationally that would be fine too.

I asked Bermingham in Dublin, but they just flat out said they don't do anything for 'vintage' cameras. Can anyone help at all?

Also, I am looking for thoughts from users of the Minolta XG1. A camera I have heard good things about and am keen to pick up and play with.

Thanks all! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

I-Electron Cook street Cork should be able to help here, have had a few dealings with them and found them excellent (with modern cameras) worth a shot, good luck with ur repair job.

13 Cook St, Cork, Ireland
    021 239 7669

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I have used zerohamster on here for my repairs, I think he does servicing too. Great guy to deal with.

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Excellent. Thanks both for your help! I have sent zerohamster a PM.

If there is anyone/anyplace closer to or in Dublin that would be great too. Thanks a lot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Studio120

Nice little camera the Yashica.

Would you not run a cheap roll of colour film through it and leave it in for D&P somewhere. There may be nothing wrong with the camera and this will only cost you about a tenner.

Studio120 wrote: »
    Nice little camera the Yashica.

Would you not run a cheap roll of colour film through it and leave it in for D&P somewhere. There may be nothing wrong with the camera and this will only cost you about a tenner.

Yep i think thats what i will do anyway. Need to find sonewhere that sells medium format film first (though i may have a spare roll or two). Anywhere decent in Dublin to get medium format film developed?

I got the Minolta XG1 on the way too. It's coming bundled with a bunch of lenses including a Zeiss one...if that's good or not i dunno. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Yep i think thats what i will do anyway. Need to find sonewhere that sells medium format film first (though i may have a spare roll or two). Anywhere decent in Dublin to get medium format film developed?

I got the Minolta XG1 on the way too. It's coming bundled with a bunch of lenses including a Zeiss one...if that's good or not i dunno. :)

Gunns on Wexford Street sell it but not sure if they still develop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Studio120

STG.Otaku wrote: »

The Electro is a 35 mm camera. Dealz sell cheap rolls of colour film if you are local to one. It would do for simply checking the camera.

Maybe you are thinking of a Yashicamat TLR ?

Ah OK, I will try Dealz on Henry Street maybe? See if they have a few rolls to use for testing.

Not sure what that TLR is? I have a Yashica Electro 35 GSN on the way to me and a Minolta XG-1 with a few lenses on the way too. I was hoping to use medium format film with them? I think I have a couple of old rolls for my Holga somewhere so could use those if I can find them! :)

Need to find a battery adapter for the Yashica too. I will try Gunns too, thanks for the tip! Looking forward to posting some snaps here once I can get this all up and running.

Advertisement