Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 NBA Offseason + Draft

Options
  • 14-06-2015 10:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭

All offseason and draft related talk in here please. About 10 days until draft day!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Think this will be the busiest offseason in a few years between draft day trades and players jumping ship..hopefully the disparity between the east and west lessens a bit it's been needed for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

1st bit of off season news!! Woj is reporting the Hornets are trading Lance Stephenson to the Clippers, with Matt Barnes and Spencer Hawes heading to Charlotte

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/610568154809565184

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

No idea why the Hornets are doing this. Lance only has a year left on his deal and part of what they're getting back is Hawes who has 3 years remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

No idea why the Hornets are doing this. Lance only has a year left on his deal and part of what they're getting back is Hawes who has 3 years remaining.

They wanted rid since Christmas and shopped him to every team in the League since then. Can't understand the Clippers doing this though, at all. Lance is a cancer on any team and a guy whose production dropped hugely last year despite going to a team where in theory he was the 1/2 option. Barnes for all his problems at least is a fighter, Stephenson by contrast is a quitter. Barnes was also an important player for the Clippers, he was kind of their enforcer and did contribute on both ends of the court. This is a very strange deal at first glance all round. Hawes was just a contract dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Clippers need depth even if it's potential depth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Terrible news for the 76ers in that Joel Embiid has suffered a setback in his recovery and may actually miss the entire 2015/2016 season due to a scan on his foot revealing "less healing than anticipated at this point".

Almost every mock draft I've read has the 76ers taking D'Angelo Russell (SG) at #3, so presuming they do, the crazy thing is, with everyone fit they could have a starting 5 of:

New PG
    D'Angelo Russell
    Dario Saric
    Nerlens Noel
    Joel Embiid

On paper at least that's such a young, positive and refreshing starting lineup and being in the east gives them a much better chance of success too. Between injury and Hinkie seemingly incapable of stopping himself from making deals for the sake of making deals, who knows if we'll ever get to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I think it's a good move for the Clippers. Need to roll the dice, and this is a good dice-roll. Doc and CP3 can keep Lance in line, he's in LA (good destination, will want to impress), he's in a contract year. And if it goes wrong, the Clippers are off the hook at the end of the season.

They had to do something, they playoffs this year showed their roster wasn't good enough. It's a move with good potential upside, and very limited down-side. Wonder what happens with Reddick now, can Lance play at the 3?

Baffling...I'd say Crawford will get shipped off now..only 1.5 mil of his contract is guaranteed if he's waived before the end of the month so their should b a few takers

Do any of ye see a lot of kanter in okafor (very poor d, average athlete, good rebounder, great post ability, less range though)..? I'm really not as high on the guy as most..still top 3 in the draft but not the franchise cornerstone he's labelled to be

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

limerickfc wrote: »
    Baffling...I'd say Crawford will get shipped off now..only 1.5 mil of his contract is guaranteed if he's waived before the end of the month so their should b a few takers

Yup, he's next in line apparently but they'd trade CP3 and BG before they get rid of Rivers Jr. which really sums up the poor decision making at the club.

• Advertisement

limerickfc wrote: »
    Do any of ye see a lot of kanter in okafor (very poor d, average athlete, good rebounder, great post ability, less range though)..? I'm really not as high on the guy as most..still top 3 in the draft but not the franchise cornerstone he's labelled to be

It's so tough to tell what's going to happen with big guys entering the draft.I think Okafor looks good personally but honestly it really depends so much on where the player lands in the draft and the role the team is going to give that player. Some guys only come out of their shell a few years after the draft. Kanter could be a prime example of that, he looked like a solid center with the Thunder for the last few months. Will be really interesting to see what he does next year with Steven Adams back.

Jeff green picking up his option for the season.. Cliff Alexander has a promise from a team drafting in the 30's seemingly..don't see a fit anywhere though..maybe Philly or Detroit

Some new jerseys released

Sixers going classic:
    sixers-new-uniforms-e1434673433351.jpg

Bucks looking clean:
    150603-jabari-giannis-1.1.jpg

and the....um....Clippers:
    blake-jersey-sidebyside.jpg

2 days away from the draft and it seems that virtually no one gives a bollocks. It's crazy how little attention it gets compared to the NFL draft. The American Football forum was a hive of activity about two weeks before and after it with discussion and analysis, while first round draft night is only beaten by the Super Bowl in terms of posts/views.

Anyway, Sports Illustrated have a nice preview of the top 60 players in this draft class. They have videos, a bio, detailed piece on strengths, weaknesses and an NBA comparison for each player. Essential reading ahead of Thursday night IMO:

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/06/23/nba-draft-player-rankings-big-board-karl-anthony-towns-jahlil-okafor

Here's the Karl Anthony-Towns one for example:
    Bio: Towns was a known commodity coming out of high school, having been named the Gatorade National Player of the Year and a McDonald’s All-American. Still, it seemed in November that Duke freshman Jahlil Okafor would remain atop his class (where he’d been since eighth grade) and be selected first in the NBA draft. Okafor may still go No. 1, but Towns is regarded as the superior prospect in most draft rankings. Upside is key with Towns, as his spot-shooting and three-point stroke weren’t on display at Kentucky but could emerge in the right NBA system. His defensive effort and ability—instilled in him by his father, a former player at Monmouth University—have made him the most complete big man in this year’s draft.

Strengths: Towns has ideal size, strength and athleticism to be a star NBA center. He plays with passion on both ends and moves up and down the court well for a player his size. He has the natural feel of an elite shot-blocker and is an above-average rebounder. His offensive game is still developing, but his footwork in the low post is advanced for his age and his free-throw shooting (81.3%) helps support the idea that he may be the second-best shooting big man (behind Frank Kaminsky) in this year’s draft. He plays with his head up and excels at passing out of double teams. He has tremendous potential for growth offensively in the NBA, and the work ethic to become the most valuable long-term pick in this draft.

Weaknesses: Fouling and physicality were his biggest problems in his one season at Kentucky. He was called for 5.6 fouls per 40 minutes, which negates some of the praise for his ability to block shots. Like many big men, he struggles when stuck near the perimeter, particularly on pick-and-rolls. He flashed an increased assertiveness during the NCAA tournament, but he will be asked to do more right away as a rookie. Is he ready to take on the added responsibility? Physically, another 10-15 pounds on his frame would help prevent him from being pushed around by NBA bigs.

NBA comparison: Marc Gasol

Looks like Karl is pushing for the Kings to trade Boogie

Boogie's response
    https://twitter.com/boogiecousins/status/613225835365949440

The Celtics offered Philly Marcus Smart + 16 overall + 28 overall in return for Nerlens Noel + No.3 overall. Seems to be giving a lot of people online a good laugh!

ESPN reporting that the Lakers had offered their #2 pick for Cousins but it was blocked by the Kings owner. I wonder if they'd take Noah and the pick we have belonging to them? :pac:

Come on now Phil :pac:

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/613381950280204290

If half the things being thrown around come true things are gonna get crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I'm in New York on Thursday so might pop down to the Barclay Centre for a look at who is about. Being a Lakers fan it's the first time in a while I have a big interest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The Kings should keep Cousins. They'd only blow the 2nd pick in typical Kings fashion if they got it.

• Advertisement

Marc Stein reporting that Kevin Love has opted out of his contract with the Cavs

D2D wrote: »
    Marc Stein reporting that Kevin Love has opted out of his contract with the Cavs

David Griffin was saying the other day that he expects both Love and LeBron to opt out but ultimately stay. I read a piece from Chris Fedor who said NBA executives reckon Cleveland will sign and then trade Love. Zach Lowe had an interesting piece on Grantland re: signing Love and the impact on the cap:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nba-finalists-how-to-make-a-sequel/
    "If they bring everyone back at the expected rates, including LeBron and Love once they opt out, they will end up spending more than $200 million on payroll — the largest figure in league history.

That would include spending $56 million, almost the entire salary cap, on three guys — LeBron, Love, and Thompson — who need heavy minutes at power forward. Blowing by the tax removes almost every path toward signing an outside free agent, and vacuums up lots of gold from Dan Gilbert's money bin.

Griffin has repeatedly said the Cavs plan to keep Love, but plugged-in executives around the league continue to predict the Cavs will sign-and-trade Love after advancing so far without him. That would unclutter the power forward spot, and if the Cavs can recoup rotation players and picks, they'd have to at least consider it."

He'll be back IMO.

Here's something to keep people entertained the night before what promises to be a very busy draft night.

Larry Bird and his trash talk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

David West has opted out. That was definitely unexpected. It frees up space at the PF and probably changes the aims of the #11 draft pick at the Pacers FO. The pick could be traded yet.

Lots of twists and turns to come yet in this off season.

I'm gonna miss David West, but I feel it's the right move. He changed the direction of the locker room the second he arrived. But his game regressed massively last season. He was abysmal on D and found it harder to back down the younger dudes in the post. He will always be a BAMF.

Charlotte, Portland and okc making moves at the moment..bit confusing with all the different reports yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

apparently the celtics-6ers deal was noel+3 for smart+olynk+3rd player+16 less ridiculous but still can't see the 6ers going for it particularly given it was apparently dependant on okafor falling to 3

So Charlotte swap vonleh and hendo for batum...confusing to say the least..they gave up on vonleh fairly early anyway especially for a one year rental..j lamb going to Charlotte too for what seems like nothing at the moment

The confusing-ness of Charlotte continues:

Woj: Memphis has agreed to trade Luke Ridnour to Charlotte for Matt Barnes, league sources tell Yahoo.

By the way lads, numerous reporters will be spoiling picks tonight, i.e. announcing them on social media before Silver announces them. So if you don't want them spoiled I'd be avoiding Twitter etc as reporters will be using it as a dick measuring contest.

I don't know what you all think of this, but I personally hate it. I like the suspense. If there was enough support, would it be possible to make this a spoiler free thread tonight so we follow the broadcast and discuss picks/trades as and when they happen?

• Advertisement

Yeah great idea Paully.

Tonight there is to be no announcing of picks until they are made by Adam Silver on stage. Anyone breaking this rule will receive a ban

Advertisement