Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 NBA Offseason + Draft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Paully D wrote: »
    Yeah it's crazy IMO. All he is, is a defender (albeit an excellent one).

Presuming they keep Cousins, I don't see how they're going to work. If they do trade Cousins, it's bizarre that they didn't take the #2 from the Lakers as part of the package to just take Towns or Okafor because Cauley-Stein as a straight up replacement is horrific.

Either way, I hate the pick.
    It's the Kings. Who knows what they will do.

Good pick by the Hornets. Bye bye Zeller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

So impressed every time I've seen Kaminsky. Guy will score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I wonder what was going on with Winslow? He was an almost consensus early pick among mock drafters and experts and yet dropped to double digits. Something flagged up injury wise perhaps?

The fucking Heat would have to land him though. :rolleyes: :pac:

That Heat starting 5 is stacked with talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

I wonder what was going on with Winslow? He was an almost consensus early pick among mock drafters and experts and yet dropped to double digits. Something flagged up injury wise perhaps?

The fucking Heat would have to land him though. :rolleyes: :pac:

Miami mafia strike again.

Oh FFS. Of course Bird would leave better players on the table. Dude is always set on his man.

Hoping there's not a run on PG's now and the Bulls can snag a half decent one at #22.

Payne, Grant, Jones, or Wright. I'd expect 3 of them will be gone but if we were to get any of those I'd be delighted.

Westbrook and Payne is a scary good PG duo.

Still depressed after the Pacers pick.

1) I believe that SG and back-up PG are a much bigger need than a C.

2) This means that Roy is probably gone which will alter our defensive identity completely.

3) It seems like Bird is hell-bent to get rid of our frontcourt and play "faster and smaller" which I don't believe is going to work with our current roster.

• Advertisement

Knicks trading Hardaway to the Wizards, the Knicks get Jerian Grant. For **** sake. He was so close to reaching the Bulls. :mad:

That's a great move by the Knicks. What on earth are the Wizards doing this draft?

Can anyone here that watches college ball tell me what the deal with terry rosier is when the celtics already have a crowded backfield

I'd imagine the top of the Bulls draft board was completely wiped out from picks 14-21, picks 19-21 especially galling given the need for a backup PG.

Have to be happy with Portis at #22 all things considered. Not a position of need but certainly the best player available on the board at that stage and most of the analysts/experts are saying it's a steal.

Looks like Taj or perhaps even Noah will be traded now, perhaps we'll look to do something for that much needed G? There's no way that we'll be rolling with Taj, Pau, Portis, Mirotic and Noah anyway.

Love rj hunter

Catching up on round 2 now. I know the 2nd round is a crapshoot at the best of times, but the 76ers basically wasted their 4 2nd round picks. Just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Well that was interesting....ish.

As a Celtics fan I can only hope Ainge has some dodgy deal or other shenannigans in the pipeline or if not we'll have 10 guards next year and Olynyk. :eek::D:D

I'd take Boogie (huge fan) and 4 A.N. Others as a starting 5 right now.

I have to admit I'm kinda gone a little cold on Love after seeing him go backwards in Cleveland. I know they're keen on him but it would be a huge leap for him to throw the 10ppg he lost last year vs the previous back onto his stats. He'll always get his boards as he's such a smart rebounder but even if he's option 1 on a C's team I'm not sure he can reach the heights of previous years. Think he's most likely to stay in Cleveland anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Well that was interesting....ish.

As a Celtics fan I can only hope Ainge has some dodgy deal or other shenannigans in the pipeline or if not we'll have 10 guards next year and Olynyk. :eek::D:D

I'd take Boogie (huge fan) and 4 A.N. Others as a starting 5 right now.

I have to admit I'm kinda gone a little cold on Love after seeing him go backwards in Cleveland. I know they're keen on him but it would be a huge leap for him to throw the 10ppg he lost last year vs the previous back onto his stats. He'll always get his boards as he's such a smart rebounder but even if he's option 1 on a C's team I'm not sure he can reach the heights of previous years. Think he's most likely to stay in Cleveland anyway.

We're not trading Boogie, sorry :cool:

The amount of false information being reported by the national media is a joke. Cuz wants to stay, Vlade has said repeatedly there is 0 chance of us trading him, and he's locked in for another three years. It's just not happening.

If it comes down to Cuz vs. Karl, Karl will be fired.

Very happy with WCS btw, great fit next to Cuz.

Yeah it's crazy IMO. All he is, is a defender (albeit an excellent one).

Presuming they keep Cousins, I don't see how they're going to work. If they do trade Cousins, it's bizarre that they didn't take the #2 from the Lakers as part of the package to just take Towns or Okafor because Cauley-Stein as a straight up replacement is horrific.

Either way, I hate the pick.

Not crazy at all. We've been in need of a big, athletic defender to put next to Cousins for years. WCS is that. He's not the sexy "upside" pick, but players like Chandler/Jordan are very difficult to get and come at a heavy price. WCS is a better defender than both were at the same point and is a better athlete overall (yes, including Jordan. WCS is a freak).

The #2 for Cuz was never going to happen, it's not nearly enough, even if you include Randle and Clarkson. People seriously still don't understand how dominant Cousins is at age 24. He compares favourably to practically every great big man in history at the same age. It's just up to the Kings to stop ****ing up his career and put a good team around him. We were right on track last year too if Pete f**king D'Alessandro hadn't inexplicably fired Mike Malone.

That'll be an awkward first encounter with Kobe..

CIZQz0WUcAA-rma.jpg

moneyman wrote: »
    Not crazy at all. We've been in need of a big, athletic defender to put next to Cousins for years. WCS is that. He's not the sexy "upside" pick, but players like Chandler/Jordan are very difficult to get and come at a heavy price. WCS is a better defender than both were at the same point and is a better athlete overall (yes, including Jordan. WCS is a freak).

The #2 for Cuz was never going to happen, it's not nearly enough, even if you include Randle and Clarkson. People seriously still don't understand how dominant Cousins is at age 24. He compares favourably to practically every great big man in history at the same age. It's just up to the Kings to stop ****ing up his career and put a good team around him. We were right on track last year too if Pete f**king D'Alessandro hadn't inexplicably fired Mike Malone.

There is an * beside WCS with the fact that he will most likely need ankle surgery down the line and will be out for 4-6 months. While it's a good pick for the Kings, it's a very high pick to give up for a player who will probably never average more than 6PPG

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    There is an * beside WCS with the fact that he will most likely need ankle surgery down the line and will be out for 4-6 months. While it's a good pick for the Kings, it's a very high pick to give up for a player who will probably never average more than 6PPG

The ankle surgery is a minor worry, apparently it's not a long term injury at all and he may not even need surgery on it.

As for averaging over 6ppg, he definitely will, but regardless, that's not what we're drafting him for. He'll average 10ppg easily from running the floor and lobs alone. He'll probably average over 6ppg as rookie without even starting. He's not near as bad offensively as people make out, he has fantastic hands. He had a role at Kentucky and he stuck to it. Nobody thought Cuz could shoot outside of 10 feet when he left Kentucky. Point being, Calipary doesn't let his players operate outside of their roles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Wasn't that excited about the Bulls pick (6'11 PF Bobby Portis), but this guy seems to really like him:

Chicago Bulls Confidential: 2015 NBA Draft Recap

I watched the DraftExpress video...

...thought his limited explosiveness could be a problem in the NBA. I guess they like his big-guy mobility for Hoiberg's proposed uptempo offense.

The Bulls front court was already crowded (Mirotic, Gibson, Noah, Gasol), and is even more crowded now. Will surely see a trade here before the start of next season.

Morrison J wrote: »
    That'll be an awkward first encounter with Kobe..

Bobby Portis has had a similar issue :pac:

276571f221cb01afd0ca237a39f2e2cb.png

8ddd9f82b0ea02dc4c59672708fa3df3.png

Oh dear Melo:

https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/status/614463369081417728

https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/status/614464218864197632

Despite the extra money, it's hard to think he doesn't deeply regret not joining Chicago this time last year now. Oh well, you make your bed.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Bobby Portis has had a similar issue :pac:

He's handled it well, and with a bit of humour:

Bobby BP Portis ‏@BPortistime:

"Bulls Nation sorry for the tweets I sent 4 years ago. I was a boy then. I'm a man now. And a Bull. DRose, Pau, what kinda donuts yall like?"

I'm sure they'll have a laugh about it in pre-season training. Not so sure about Kobe and Nance though!

padraig_f wrote: »

"Bulls Nation sorry for the tweets I sent 4 years ago. I was a boy then. I'm a man now. And a Bull. DRose, Pau, what kinda donuts yall like?"

I'm sure they'll have a laugh about it in pre-season training. Not so sure about Kobe and Nance though!

Haha, that's a very good retort. I'm sure someone like Noah will have his original tweets printed out and stuck to his locker for his first day :pac:

Celtics offered 6 draft picks (including 4 potential 1st rounders) to the Hornets to move up to #9 to take Winslow. The Hornets rejected the deal to select Kaminsky, per ESPN. Zach Lowe has confirmed this to be true also.

Complete and utter madness from Jordan rejecting that deal. Kaminsky better turn out to be very good or this will haunt the Hornets for a long time.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25225934/report-celtics-wanted-to-trade-6-picks-for-hornets-no-9-pick
    The Boston Celtics were rumored to be making a deal to move up in yesterday's draft but nothing actually came to pass and the Celtics selected Terry Rozier and R.J. Hunter in the first round. Justise Winslow was the player the Celtics wanted in the draft but he was selected with the No. 10 pick by the Miami Heat.

According to ESPN's Chris Forsberg, the Celtics were so high on Winslow that they tried to trade six draft picks to the Charlotte Hornets for their No. 9 pick.

The Celtics made a strong final push to multiple teams in spots 4-9 on draft day. It culminated with an all-in effort in attempt to get Charlotte to deliver the No. 9 pick with Boston lusting for Duke forward Justise Winslow (the same player they coveted while trying to shuffle higher).

According to sources, the Celtics' final offer to the Hornets was a package that could have featured as many as six draft picks, including four potential first-round selections (a combination of picks from this draft and in the future). But the Hornets could not be swayed and turned down multiple offers to select Wisconsin center Frank Kaminsky.

Meeting with reporters in the aftermath of the draft, Ainge hinted at his team's dogged pursuit. "Maybe we were going too hard at it," he said. "There was a time when I thought, ‘Woah, this is getting a little out of control.' We're putting a lot of eggs in one young player's basket. So I'm not frustrated. In the long run, maybe it'll be the best."

Six is greater than one...is Kaminsky really that good?

The Hornets targeted Frank Kaminsky before the draft and taking him with the ninth pick may have been a stretch but it is shocking to hear that Charlotte turned down six draft picks just so they could draft him. Charlotte was a playoff team a year ago and their refusal of this trade may point to their desire to not be a rebuilding team again. They were just awarded the 2017 All-Star game and with their whole re-brand last year, team owner Michael Jordan probably wants the Hornets to be a perennial playoff team.

While the Celtics may have missed on Winslow, according to Forsberg, they are happy with their selections of Rozier and Hunter. Plus, Boston can now use those picks they would've traded to Charlotte in another trade for another player they may covet. The Celtics tried to go in all last night and although the Hornets weren't having it, Boston has all of the right resources for the future.

padraig_f wrote: »

Yeah it's one thing to joke off calling a player thrash, another to joke off rape accusations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Crazy from Ainge to offer 6 picks FOR THE 9TH PICK (!) and crazy from Jordan to reject it. I'm having trouble deciding who is crazier actually. Ainge apparently admitted that they let things get out of hand in offering that much.

• Advertisement

Thought this was pretty cool, Butler and Thibs out for dinner together last night.

https://twitter.com/GibsonsSteak/status/614632890186473472

Advertisement