Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 NBA Offseason + Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Ya think he signed 3/60 and thad Young for 4/52 or something like that

According to woj B Wright just signed 3/18 to Memphis and millsaps back with Atlanta for 3/58..very busy 1st day

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

limerickfc wrote: »
    According to woj B Wright just signed 3/18 to Memphis and millsaps back with Atlanta for 3/58..very busy 1st day

How has Wright's agent only managed to get him that deal? What a steal for the Grizzlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Lol

Damian Lillard
    @Dame_Lillard

We've built something great in #RipCity... Would love to continue that playing along side @aldridge_12 ... Sure our team feels the same! 1h
    That's some ex-girlfriend **** right there.

He said he turned down bigger money but living in Tennessee is more than worth it..is he from their.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Lol

Damian Lillard
    @Dame_Lillard

We've built something great in #RipCity... Would love to continue that playing along side @aldridge_12 ... Sure our team feels the same! 1h
    That's some ex-girlfriend **** right there.

Yet another chapter in Lillard's embarrassing social media book.

The Kings making Philly look like geniuses

Monroe gets his Max in the end..Kidd will have to get scheming to cover him and Parker

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Miller Millions Nanny

Monroe gets his Max in the end..Kidd will have to get scheming to cover him and Parker

if that roster develops it could end up a serious team great signing if kidd can use him right. they do have the rim protector to play with him so it could work out fantastic for the bucks.

celtics resign jay crowder for 35 mil over 5 years with some of the money being thrown around thats serious value I'm delighted with it

Ya it's a good deal alright..was hoping for Harris and byiombo at the start but looks like we're rolling pretty much the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

The Kings making Philly look like geniuses

Not really, they took on a bad contract in Landry in order to get Nik (who averaged 4pts on 36% shooting - not saying he'll never work out but let's not pretend the Kings lost anything of immediate value). Kings ridded themselves of deadwood and freed about 14mil in cap space. I know it's popular for national media to **** on everything the Kings do right now and most people just go along with it without actually stopping to think, but we're in a unique position. We absolutely HAVE to be a winning team next season or Cousins is gone. The cap space gives us the ability to sign both Rondo and Matthews (for example). Those are very good additions. Yeah Rondo was bad last year but he has championship experience and he hasn't magically just lost the ability to play. Matthews is coming off achilles surgery but isn't a player that relies on athleticism anyway.

It's a risk, but a necessary one. It fails if we don't manage to make any decent FA signings. Worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

moneyman wrote: »
    Not really, they took on a bad contract in Landry in order to get Nik (who averaged 4pts on 36% shooting - not saying he'll never work out but let's not pretend the Kings lost anything of immediate value). Kings ridded themselves of deadwood and freed about 14mil in cap space. I know it's popular for national media to **** on everything the Kings do right now and most people just go along with it without actually stopping to think, but we're in a unique position. We absolutely HAVE to be a winning team next season or Cousins is gone. The cap space gives us the ability to sign both Rondo and Matthews (for example). Those are very good additions. Yeah Rondo was bad last year but he has championship experience and he hasn't magically just lost the ability to play. Matthews is coming off achilles surgery but isn't a player that relies on athleticism anyway.

It's a risk, but a necessary one. It fails if we don't manage to make any decent FA signings. Worth the risk.

Relying on free agents is fine when you are in a big market but unfortunately for you the Kings are not. They need to build a team through smart trades and smarter draft choices but with the amount of coaching a front office changes they go through this is not possible. Also you need to be a winning team in the West! Which is not an easy thing to do. You could finish above .500 and not be a playoff team. While I think Cousins is an exceptional talent(I'd love to have him at the Lakers) it may be time the Kings striped everything down and start some kind of 5 year plan towards stability and move on from there.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Relying on free agents is fine when you are in a big market but unfortunately for you the Kings are not. They need to build a team through smart trades and smarter draft choices but with the amount of coaching a front office changes they go through this is not possible. Also you need to be a winning team in the West! Which is not an easy thing to do. You could finish above .500 and not be a playoff team. While I think Cousins is an exceptional talent(I'd love to have him at the Lakers) it may be time the Kings striped everything down and start some kind of 5 year plan towards stability and move on from there.

I agree, we're a small market and can't rely on FA. But most teams have already used their cap space and there's a solid chance we can get two good players. We'll never sign a star through FA but if we offer enough money, we can sign difference makers. Drafts and trades are the best way for a small market team to build a team, I agree. But we gave up very little and now have a chance to get two solid vets who will help immediately. Our starting five was one of the best in the NBA last year but it rarely played together due to injuries. We got off to a 9-5 start with the toughest schedule in the entire league before Malone was fired. Yeah we were never going to sustain that but we could easily have been .500.

Firing Malone was a massive mistake, I absolutely despise PDA for that but there's no going back. We have Karl now (who I actually don't want, but it's unlikely he'll be canned) so he'll likely be there for his contract. The West is insanely difficult but we have to start winning. We're still a young team, natural improvement will come and we can build on that.

It's definitely not time to strip it down. Strip what down?! You don't trade a top 10 player who's 24 years old to rebuild! The point of rebuilding is to get that exact player in the first place. At some point you have to take a risk and **** or get off the pot. Drafting smart is one thing but nothing in the draft is guaranteed. Challenge for the playoffs and having a winning season would be a huge step and we'd likely be in the POs the following year. That gives us enough time for Cousins to be likely to sign another extension and build further. We'd be complete idiots to trade Cousins at this point.

i think theres plenty of cap space around the league thats no advantage. you have him for what two more years thats your period if your not contending (and possibly if you are as he seems really really put off by the front office/ownership) hes gone. by the sounds of things the ownership are refusing to entertain any trades so it wont be an issue.

personally i cant see the kings being good enough by the end of his contract for him to stay anyway they could be better off trading for a ton of young assets/picks and starting fresh

There's really not that much cap space, most of it's gone already. Phx will probably sign LMA, if Dallas sign DAJ then they probably won't have enough to sign Matthews. Kings have more cap space than anyone at this point (about 24 mil) and Rondo is already said to be interested in joining on a short term deal (Rudy is his good friend and Cousins has said he thinks Rondo's the best PG in the league). Matthews isn't guaranteed but isn't out of the question, he's visiting tomorrow I believe. May be able to entice him with Rondo, George Karl and one of the best arena's in the world on the way in 2016.

Regardless, you're right, Boogie could be gone in two seasons. But you trade him then, not now. You don't trade him without even trying. He loves Sacramento, if we're in the playoffs and showing signs of contending then he will stay, I guarantee that. He's been pissed at the circus that is our organisation over the last few years, now we have two years to get things on track. Not easy but you can't let him go without trying. The trade was a slightly risky one but had to be done. Honestly, what did we lose? Landry didn't play due to injury and is washed up and on a bad contract. Sauce Castillo was awful and didn't contribute. JT is a solid big off the bench. That's what we lost for the possibility of making two solid FA signings. We'll have to wait and see if it pays off.

I can't believe the Lakers (reportedly) focused on Hollywood and branding when they met with Aldridge. The man is 30 years old with no rings. I doubt that's what he wants to hear about.

Looks like they're getting a second meeting to make a better pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've been tied up the last couple of days so only really getting into the FA deals now. My first thoughts are "wow, the money" - it's beyond crazy, and only going to get crazier. Sigh.

moneyman wrote:
    There's really not that much cap space, most of it's gone already. Phx will probably sign LMA, if Dallas sign DAJ then they probably won't have enough to sign Matthews. Kings have more cap space than anyone at this point (about 24 mil) and Rondo is already said to be interested in joining on a short term deal (Rudy is his good friend and Cousins has said he thinks Rondo's the best PG in the league). Matthews isn't guaranteed but isn't out of the question, he's visiting tomorrow I believe. May be able to entice him with Rondo, George Karl and one of the best arena's in the world on the way in 2016.

LMA = La Marcus Aldridge?
    He is not going to Phoenix. He will sign with the Spurs unless the supposed second meeting with the Lakers makes some difference.
    DAJ = DeAndre Jordan?
    He is going to get enough to remain a Clipper. Doc Rivers is too smart to let him go anywhere.
    What will Rondo offer your team offensively? He is a below average point guard athletically, a patchy shooter and is coming off his worst season ever.
    Also suggesting that a player might be swayed by a new stadium is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I think Rondo could have a big year.

He has one chance left to prove he's worth one last big contract. He knows he can't mess it up.

NufcNavan wrote:
    I think Rondo could have a big year.

NufcNavan wrote:
    He has one chance left to prove he's worth one last big contract. He knows he can't mess it up.

I actually really like Rondo but he needs a certain type of team around him to show his strengths.
    Team selection is vital for him if he is out to get one more big pay day

• Advertisement

I can't believe the Lakers (reportedly) focused on Hollywood and branding when they met with Aldridge. The man is 30 years old with no rings. I doubt that's what he wants to hear about.

Looks like they're getting a second meeting to make a better pitch.

Couldn't be any worse than the Dallas Video for Dwight Howard a few years ago. I'm too tired to link it but it's worth a look for the laugh if you haven't seen it. A true cringe-fest.

Agent Jeff Fried says Monta Ellis swayed by Pacers being "a playoff team with a winning culture." Also cites Indy's "welcoming community."

Hmmmm.....warm West Coast team or cornfield Indiana? Cornfields it is.

Good to see players are starting to appreciate teams that try to establish a winning culture. Monroe going to the Bucks instead of the Knicks is another example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Agent Jeff Fried says Monta Ellis swayed by Pacers being "a playoff team with a winning culture." Also cites Indy's "welcoming community."

Hmmmm.....warm West Coast team or cornfield Indiana? Cornfields it is.

Good to see players are starting to appreciate teams that try to establish a winning culture. Monroe going to the Bucks instead of the Knicks is another example of this.

Bucks offered Monroe the max, Knicks quite rightly didn't think he was a max player, and consequently didn't offer him the max. Money talks.
    I'm happy we didn't blink on this and in a panic overpay, he's a terrible defender who offers zero rim protection, it would have been so Knicks to give him the max and then when the season starts realise that we have no defense to speak of. Knicks went after Carroll, missed on him, Affolo is on his way, and he is a decent shooting guard. Knicks will be poor again next, but this is what rebuilding looks like. Phil could easily have drafted a player with a more NBA ready game who might help now, but it makes more sense to swing for the fences with Porzingis, take a smart risk and invest in the future. The Knicks are bad right now, and one player isn't going to change that, and as much as Melo hates to hear it, there is a huge rebuild needed.

People criticise Phil, but I am quite content without he is handling business. It is very possible that Melo gets moved next season, for first round lottery picks, as he grows more frustrated with the lack of improvement.

Couldn't be any worse than the Dallas Video for Dwight Howard a few years ago. I'm too tired to link it but it's worth a look for the laugh if you haven't seen it. A true cringe-fest.

I don't know how I never saw that before. That's a shocking attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Knick have a deal in place with Robin Lopez, a player who is a much better fit than Monroe. Lopez offers you rim protection, and does not command the max, or anything near it. Knicks are just waiting to make sure that DeAndre chooses the Mavs or the Clippers, and when that happens will sign Lopez.

I also cannot believe I have never seen that.

So it looks like DJ and the mavs suiting up for the next four years

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It was really cringeworthy but I can see why they went for it. It's exactly the type of thing that would appeal to him, short of bringing in 10 women and letting him do whatever he wanted to them :pac:

• Advertisement

So it looks like DJ and the mavs suiting up for the next four years

ya really didn't expect that i thought he would definitely stay in l.a. disaster from a celtics perspective as there pick is far less likely to be a lottery pick now (although you never know in the west)

Advertisement